Simple Firefox Installer Script

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Drone-87401

Simple Firefox Installer Script

#1 Post by Drone-87401 »

Okay ladies & gents I'm here today to give to you my Simple Firefox Installation Program. Listen closely, I'm not that talented (so this maybe the only good thing I ever release LoL.) All you have to do is simply download the script attached to this post and follow the easy directions that appear on your screen! This installs Firefox 3.5.7 (more will come 2morrow inc. Thunderbird & Minefield.)

Step 1.) Download the program! Save it in your /root/ directory!

Step 1.5) Open up the .tar.gz file and extract to /root/

Step 2.) Navigate to /root/ and right-click, go to window, then Terminal Here

Step 3.) Now type this in:

Code: Select all

./install-firefox

Step 4.) Select your installation type and language, the rest is completely automated.

NOTES: Full installation was designed for JWM only (as it updates your .jwmrc file.) If you use another desktop/wm you will probably have to manually update it. I suspect Icewm will also automatically update. This program was designed to run at the root leve (but may work when called from other locations.) I spent about two hours on this script because as a once newbie myself I felt like I owed something to the communtiy. I hope that you enjoy it, and that it makes installing Firefox just a little easier.

Please feel free to leave me a comment, or hate mail. We can't please everybody - but we can try. I am using a Firefox installed by this script right now to type this message. Also newbies if Firefox don't run you are probably missing the DBUS deps. Get them from the Puppy Package Manager.

Have fun world, from your not so favorite-favorite C++ programmer, RLH.

** Update: 01-19-2010 **
New version will be uploaded on 01-23-2010 that will allow the downloading and installation of the following programs:

Firefox 1.0 - 3.5.7, Thunderbird, Minefield (Beta), all language packs, and automatic font fixing.

** Update 01-20-2010 **
Added new menus and program version installations. We also added the option to install the Dbus libraries (required for Firefox.) We hope that this program makes your Firefox installation a little easier. We had lots of fun programming it. Now the program contains audio prompts that will walk you through the entire installation!

Please feel free to distribute this script, modify it but please always give credit to the original programmers even if it's just in a #comment line on the script.

Ronald Lee Harsh
(Lead Developer H&S)
Modification post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51501
Attachments
install-firefox.tar.gz
Simple Firefox installation script.
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Last edited by Drone-87401 on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 07:50, edited 3 times in total.
// [i]A word from our sponsors..[/i]
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main()
{
cout << "Linux Rocks! \n";
return 0;
}

[img]http://tinypic.com/316x1kx.png[/img]

DMcCunney

Re: Simple Firefox Installer Script

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

Drone-87401 wrote:Okay ladies & gents I'm here today to give to you my Simple Firefox Installation Program. Listen closely, I'm not that talented (so this maybe the only good thing I ever release LoL.) All you have to do is simply download the script attached to this post and follow the easy directions that appear on your screen! This installs Firefox 3.5.7 (more will come 2morrow inc. Thunderbird & Minefield.)
It's a good start, but it can be simplified a lot. For instance, the only difference between the English and Spanish downloads is the language specified in the wget string. No need to repeat the whole code block: ask the language the user wants, set a $LANG variable based on the response, and embed the variable in the wget statement. One download statement covers all bases.

Similar comments apply to the Simple and Full download functions. Most of the code is common to both, and can be factored out as a single Download function, with an IF-THEN-ELSE or CASE statement in the Download function to handle the specific differences.

My rewrite in progress drops the script from 327 lines to 168 lines, and I'm not done yet. :P
______
Dennis

Drone-87401

Script Modificaton

#3 Post by Drone-87401 »

Please post all modifications to this script in this thread by clicking here

-or-

Navigate to: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51501

Thank you,

RLH
[/url]
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main()
{
return 0;
}

Drone-87401

Update More Options

#4 Post by Drone-87401 »

Finally finished with a major overhaul of the coding involved. Now with my program you can download Firefox in 62 (sixty-two) languages and Thunderbird as well. Included a easier-to-navigate user interface complete with audio prompts! The size of the code was also shrunk as well.

A lot of programming went into this and we are very proud of it. I'm sure someone out there may think that they can shrink it down to like 4 or 5 lines, but we like it the way it is. It maintains a complete fully functional interface whilst doing the job that it was designed to do. Plans for the next version are already underway at this time.

We also added full icon support and .desktop files are now included in your /usr/share/applications folder as per my good friend: seaside's request! We did however remove the JWM menu auto-update feature as we noticed it had the potential to interferer with the design of the users menu (and we don't wanna mess ya'll up!)

What's New:
1.) Added multiple versions of Firefox
2.) Added installation in 63 languages
3.) Added Dbus installation (for those whom need it.)
4.) Added Thunderbird 3.0 install option.

Important Notes:
First make sure that you do not have Firefox installed already before running this program
Make sure that if you do have a version of Firefox installed that you erase it completely before installing this program (same goes with Thunderbird.)
Make sure you have the gbus deps. installed (or else Firefox will not run.)
You can select only one version of Firefox to install at a time. (More might be supported later.)

Future Updates:
We plan to add hot-key support for users of JWM and Fluxbox.
We plan to add the full library of Mozilla.
We plan to add an enhanced GUI (once out of beta.)
We plan to add installation path support.
We plan to add uninstallable support.

Final Notes:
We enjoyed creating this for our friends and users of Puppy Linux. We also love hearing feedback from the community (good or bad.) And we love ideals and concepts that we can apply in future versions of our product.

The new download can be found in the main post, please re-download and give it a try now. Or if it's your first time, download sit back and let us take care of that "mind-work" for you. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we did making it!

Sincerely,
Ronald Lee Harsh
(Lead Developer H&S Solutions.)

VERSION 1.1a NOW AVAILABLE
You may now download v1.1a by using the link above. Please feel free to leave comments, ideals & suggestions. All comments will be taken seriously by our developers.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main()
{
return 0;
}

ecomoney

#5 Post by ecomoney »

A great idea for a script! Full firefox is a often requested feature from the people I know who use standard puppy. While Seamonkey is great (and small) for occaisional browsing, perminant installs need a full firefox.

Another app you may consider writing an installer for is openoffice. Both of these apps (the two most popular open source applications in the world) are missing from the petget installer for "technical reasons" (i.e. they are too large!).
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Drone-87401

On Vacation

#6 Post by Drone-87401 »

Just a general note to inform you all that I will be out on vacation for several weeks. I will be returning by Feb. 10, 2009. However, I will continue to edit my scripts in the mean-time but no new post to them will be made until that date.

Please feel free to continue to post, modify & update the above script as you wish. When I return I will be releasing a stable version: v 1.1 complete with a full GUI interface and several hundred more options, including OpenOffice.org and several other Linux tools and accessories.

I have had fun the past few weeks hearing from all of you and cannot wait to return at the beginning of February to see how you all have contributed to our community project. I would like to extend my personal thanks to the entire Linux & Puppy community for their ongoing help in the development of this and all of our products.

Thank you friends, and we'll see you again.

Ronald Lee Harsh
(Lead Developer & Programmer H&S)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main()
{
return 0;
}

ecomoney

#7 Post by ecomoney »

Enjoy your holiday, and thanks for adding the openoffice installer....its plugged a massive hole in Puppies functionality. I look forward to testing it.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

AndyUW

#8 Post by AndyUW »

Hi, I just started using Puppy a few days ago and I have been trying to install google chrome / firefox on it... I've had so much trouble from at least 30 different web pages through google search, until I found this one, it was really detailed explained, thank you.

Drone-87401

Thank You

#9 Post by Drone-87401 »

AndyUW wrote:Hi, I just started using Puppy a few days ago and I have been trying to install google chrome / firefox on it... I've had so much trouble from at least 30 different web pages through google search, until I found this one, it was really detailed explained, thank you.
Thank you for your kind words sir! I am glad that our program has helped you out! We are constantly upgrading and evolving our program to better suite the needs of the user. We are most pleased that it has served you well. An update to the program will be available later today that will allow for even further options and we are expanding by adding even more packages. :)

Ronald Harsh

ecomoney

#10 Post by ecomoney »

To install large progams inside a limited size pup_save.2fs virtual partition, the most efficient method is to download all of the files that the large program consists of each individually zipped up. This file is then extracted and the zip file deleted *when the next file is downloading*. Then this is unzipped while the next downloading. This is the most efficient method in terms of both disk space necessary for the install, and time to taken by the installation process.

It also allows for progress bars to be added for user feedback.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Yes a fresh approach for larger packages is good. The flaw with the pet system is that the whole package is copied into the puppy file system then unpacks which soon uses up all the space for larger stuff. I do it manually on a hard drive instead.

mike

Drone-87401

Very Interesting

#12 Post by Drone-87401 »

ecomoney wrote:To install large progams inside a limited size pup_save.2fs virtual partition, the most efficient method is to download all of the files that the large program consists of each individually zipped up. This file is then extracted and the zip file deleted *when the next file is downloading*. Then this is unzipped while the next downloading. This is the most efficient method in terms of both disk space necessary for the install, and time to taken by the installation process.

It also allows for progress bars to be added for user feedback.
We are always looking for ways to develop new efficiencies to implement in our programs. We would like to thank you for all of your suggestions and comments. Your contributions have given us some great ideals (like OpenOffice!) So, are you saying tear a file apart and zip each file individually? That would be like close to 1000 files with a package of OpenOffice full install? Please elaborate if you would sir..

Ronald Harsh

ecomoney

#13 Post by ecomoney »

Yes, the most efficient way is to download either the files individually zipped, or at least several "packs" of zipped files, which is then extracted while the next package downloads.

This means the machines internet connection (for downloading the file) is being ustilized at the same time as the processor (for unzipping the files). This minimizes the amount of time taken for the overall install process, and the amount of space inside the pup_save.2fs file that is necessary for the installation. This is in contrast to the petget system, where the entire package is donwloaded (taking further space), and then extracted.

We can refer to this as the "firebucket" method.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

I prefer the simple efficiency of debs and slackware ....the file is compressed...can be download to hard drive and simply extracted to '/'...done....no need to mess about in the pup_save. There is a dependency check done with pets but appears to be done on the already installed files so no difference there.

Best dependency check is to run the new application from a terminal. :D

mike

Jim1911

#15 Post by Jim1911 »

Drone-87401,

Just tried your installer script on a fresh copy of upup456. It is very helpful and worked great.

Looking forward to seeing your enhanced version that will also install Open Office. Please consider adding Adobe's flash player also.

Thank you,
Jim :D

Drone-87401

Thank you!

#16 Post by Drone-87401 »

Jim1911 wrote:Drone-87401,

Just tried your installer script on a fresh copy of upup456. It is very helpful and worked great.

Looking forward to seeing your enhanced version that will also install Open Office. Please consider adding Adobe's flash player also.

Thank you,
Jim :D
Thank you for your comment, consider flash added! :)
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main()
{
return 0;
}

AndyUW

#17 Post by AndyUW »

thanks a lot... can anyone tell me how to set firefox to default browser?

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

editing /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser covers most of it

mike

AndyUW

#19 Post by AndyUW »

mikeb wrote:
editing /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser covers most of it

mike
sorry but i'm very new to puppy, i did some research myself but the only result i came up with is to change that file, i changed it to exec /root/.mozilla/firefox/firefox i believe, and it still started up as seamonkey. And why does my browser keeps on closing by itself everytime I go on websites with videos? does it have something to do with the flash/macromedia, or my hardware problems? Thanks in advance!

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox

or possibly just

exec firefox

depending on who made the package.

As for crashing I would report this in the bugs section of the forum

mike