Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 08:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
grafpup puplet for graphic artists and other crazy people
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
mortlocl

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 04:08    Post subject: CinePaint info  

Thank you for that background information re. CinePaint, Nathan F.

After your comment I tried the flipbook again and this time got it to work. It seems that a new layer is required for each frame and autosave turned on..and then you can flip from one frame to the next. You were right...it would be slow work indeed.

I'm glad you propose to put GKDial in the next release.

I wonder if Blender will be more trouble than it's worth. a couple of years back I tried it on the knoppix media live cd and it didn't seem to run as well as in MSwindows....it seemed slower. I still think getting Blender to run in Puppy would be quite an achievement and would like to see it. But your time may be better sent somewhere else....maybe.

I'll take a look for Cinelerra.
Thanks for cinepaint package...it works fine.

Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 05:48    Post subject: grafpup hdd install  

Peter Sieg just pointed out to me that there was a problem with hdd install in grafpup. I've looked into it and decided that I must have been blind when I put this together as I forgot to include grub. So, if anyone wants to do a hard drive install of grafpup, you will have to use pupget to install grub first.

I've just done a usb install without any issues, but I don't have a spare hard drive that I can test on. If anyone has any other issues here please let me know.

Nathan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 13:10    Post subject:  

Nathan, I realize computer graphics can quickly fill up a hard drive, but still, many graphics projects could fit on a DVD. Why not put graphpup on a multisession DVD? It would be ideal for a class. Each student would have a DVD which would contain everything needed for a computer graphics project except the computer. Smile The classroom computers would not need hard drives at all, only plenty of RAM to manipulate the large files common in computer graphics. All the intermediate work to do with the project is saved on the DVD for the student, or teacher, to review.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 13:42    Post subject: multi-seession grafpup dvd  

Flash-
That's probably a really good idea. It also fits in nicely with one of the other ideas I had for grafpup. I thought I'd make a live dvd edition that would basically be the same iso plus a seperate directory containing all of the remaining unleashed packages. That way a person would be able to pop the cd in and install any additional software that I couldn't get in the live cd, like the sane libs and xsane for instance, just by mounting the disk and using pupget. It wouldn't even require an internet connection. If burned multisession they could then use it without even needing a hard drive. I like the idea.

This is getting to be a major undertaking.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
jcagle

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 17:28    Post subject:  

I don't have a DVD drive but hope to have one with my new computer that I hope to get for Christmas.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 20:44    Post subject:  

FWIW, today I bought a brand new Emprex 16x double layer DVD burner for $40, and a stack of 100 TDK 16x DVD+RWs for the same price.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 10:40    Post subject:  

A new Grafpup iso is close to ready. I've gotten all of the core software in place and working, and worked out most of the bugs from the first release. I'm now busy using my 'alpha' grafpup to make new graphics for the completed project. Expect many improvements in usability and a more complete operating system.

Major Changes:
-Opera upgraded to 8.5, ad free.
-Inkscape 0.42 is now included by default, replacing Sodipodi. Inkscape, along with Gimp and Cinepaint, forms the core of Grafpup's graphic capabilities. The inclusion of Inkscape has increased the size of the iso considerably, but I felt that the project needed it to be taken seriously.
-Gimp is now version 2.2.8, the latest stable release. While I loved using the development branch, Gimp is too important for production work to use an unstable branch. Also, this version is more compatible with the currently available script-fu scripts. Look for extra goodies to be available as optional packages like extra patterns, scripts, and plugins. Also, Gimp-2.3.4 will be available as an optional package for those who want to try it. It will be compiled for a different prefix so the two versions can coexist peacably.
-New package Gtkam along with the Gimp plugin.
-Midnight commander included
-Cinepaint is still there, but slightly cutdown. I removed some of the less useful brushes cutting down the size of the package by about a third. This shouldn't cripple the program, and the brushes I removed will be installable as an extra package.
-Grub and gkdial are in the iso where they belong
-Printing should be working, although I need to test it better
-Better looks. I've gotten most of the programs to display icons in the window corners and on the taskbar. There is a brand new wallpaper created from scratch in Gimp and a new splash screen at bootup. Also, the desktop includes the Torsmo system monitor. I'm also adding nicer icons bit by bit. One other neat feature I added is a switch to turn a ROX panel on and off at the right side of the screen. This is a nice place to drag and drop often used apllications and frequently visited directories. The directory /root has a new subdirectory /root/images to store your work.
-There will be two versions, standard and deluxe. Deluxe will be the same as standard but will also include a directory on the cd with extra unleashed packages. You will be able to mount the cd and install many extra programs, all without an internet connection, using the pupget package manager. A partial list of extra programs ready or in the works:
-wine
-Complete SDL libs for gaming
-Games Bombercone, Supertux, and The Battle for Wesnoth
-Seamonkey Suite
-Gimp-2.3.4
-Mutt console email client
-I'm still working on Blender, but it's on the back burner.
-I'm also considering branching this whole project off from Puppy as a seperate distribution. This means that Grafpup would end up with it's own website, forum, and package repository. This would be phased in over a couple of releases, starting with an extra menu item to visit the Grafpup software repository and eventually changing pupget to have a different list of packages and target the grafpup site instead of ibiblio. I actually still need to talk to Barry about this as I want his approval before I take the project this far. Grafpup is still Puppy under the hood, but the library upgrades are quickly making it hard to insure that packages remain compatible. I do intend to remain active in the Puppy forum and community and will continue to try and help improve the operating system I love so much.

The time frame for this release is 2-3 weeks. My original Grafpup was thrown together in about two days. I'm trying to do this right this time. I may also change the version numbering to match the fact that Grafpup is becoming a different beast than Puppy. The size of Grafpup standard will be about 70-72mb, and should remain stable there. I certainly don't want it any larger. I recomend at least 128mb of ram and a swap partition to get the most out of the Graphics capabilities. Size of the deluxe iso TBA.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or want to get involved I'd be glad to hear from you.

Nathan
screenshot.jpg
 Description   Grafpup as it currently looks.
 Filesize   49.14 KB
 Viewed   2466 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by Nathan F on Wed 19 Oct 2005, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Alienx

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 11:02    Post subject:  

good news, excellent work !

Nathan F wrote:
If you have any questions, suggestions, or want to get involved I'd be glad to hear from you.

my only question is when it will be available because I'd like to download it as soon as possible Razz

PeterSieg

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 11:30    Post subject: USB keyboard support  

Hi Nathan F.

When you include in /etc/rc.d/rc.local0
just before rc.local gets called this 2 lines:
modprobe usbkbd
modprobe keybdev

then people with only usb keyboards will be happy Wink
I still have to find a better/earlier place for that, because if rc.syslinux?
asks for PHOME...

Good luck (I personally find the new background to dark - just my taste)

PS

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 12:24    Post subject:  

Peter-
Will check into adding those lines. Shouldn't adversely affect anything.

The new background won't be that dark. The monitor I finished it on was too light, so I went back and fixed it. Also there will be a second choice with the same logo against a lighter background.

Thanks for the feedback.
Nathan
Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2005, 03:56    Post subject:  

I've gotten a go ahead from Barry to basically turn Grafpup into a distribution in it's own right. It will still be Puppy under the hood, but soon will have it's own website, forum, and package repository. This is actually part of the work that must be finished before I can release the next iso, as I intend to provide a link to the new repository in the icewm menu.

I want to thank jcagle here on the forum for providing a great web hosting package for this. Downloads of the new iso should be a good deal faster. After the site is up and running I will post news and other information there instead of here on this forum.

I am finishing up some details that got skipped the first time around like help files for the packages unique to Grafpup. I've also finished a couple more unleashed packages like Seamonkey. I also had to go back into Puppy-unleashed and fix a couple of mistakes that I made setting up packages.txt, as there were some things showing up in pupget that don't exist at ibiblio or nluug. I'm shooting for an iso without any serious bugs or headaches here.

Once the rest of the pieces are in place and the iso is ready I intend to get back to work on a Blender package. Blender has always been one of my big goals for this, but it seams that dependencies are going to be a major issue.

Nathan

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2005, 21:17    Post subject:  

I've now confirmed that I got printing working, at least for Ted and Opera. I'm not really satisfied with the results, however, as I could not get color output. I also haven't yet gotten anything to print from Gimp. Unfortunately I don't own a printer of my own, and I was only able to steal a couple of test tries using a company printer.

For those of you expecting to download the new Grafpup iso, the announcement on the Wiki news page was a little premature. I have a functional iso, but there are still some things I'm trying to tweak before I release this one to the masses. Sorry.

There was a recent thread on the forum relating to NVU, the html editor. I decided to go ahead and make an unleashed package out of it. It seems to run well, but with a bug when changing fonts. It will be available in the new package repository.

I've also been adding mime-types to rox in order to make things more productive. When you open a tar archive it will now open in guitar, for instance. Most image formats now open in xnview by default, etc.

Look for it in about a week and a half.
Nathan
Raman

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2005, 14:46    Post subject: Need MD5 sums for grafpup-1.0.5-opera.iso & pups  

Please provide MD5 sums for your grafpup-1.0.5-opera.iso and its related pups.

Downloads always require MD5 checks.

Hail Puppy!

Raman
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2005, 00:36    Post subject:  

You're right, my bad. I'll be sure to correct the lack of md5.

Nathan
Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2005, 01:46    Post subject:  

Blender running quite happily. Easier than I thought. It does require SDL and to a lesser degree uses python. You might get by for a while without the Python, but it makes the program quite unhappy. I'll make a package sometime soon.

Nathan
blender_screenshot.png
 Description   Blender running on a Grafpup alpha live cd
 Filesize   57.74 KB
 Viewed   2561 Time(s)

blender_screenshot.png

Page 3 of 4 [50 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: