Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 16:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Screenlets 0.0.10 (Only for Puppy-3 + Composite Manager)
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
wow

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008, 23:32    Post subject:  Screenlets 0.0.10 (Only for Puppy-3 + Composite Manager)
Subject description: Desktop applets / widgets

Quote:
Screenlets are small owner-drawn applications (written in Python) that can be described as "the virtual representation of things lying/standing around on your desk". Sticknotes, clocks, rulers, ... the possibilities are endless.

The goal of the Screenlets base-classes is to simplify the creation of fully themeable mini-apps that each solve basic desktop-work-related needs and generally improve the usability and eye-candy of the modern composited Linux-desktop.

Homepage: Arrow http://screenlets.org/index.php/Information

Forum: Arrow http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/forumdisplay.php?s=b76fb5085efac533983e796cad514944&f=102

Download:

Requires:

Usage:
    Start Screenlets from: Menu>Desktop>Screenlets Manager or run:
    Code:
    screenlets-manager

Note 1: Some screenlets may require more libraries and programs.
Note 2: If your system crashes when installing many .pet packages try to install 4 or 5 then reboot and continue installing.

Last edited by wow on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 21:44; edited 3 times in total
MU

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 01:20    Post subject:  

petget refuses to install gnome-python-desktop-2.186.pet.
I extracted it manually, then repackaged.
Maybe just a naming error? (missing .0)
I attach mine however.
Mark
gnome-python-desktop-2.18.0-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gnome-python-desktop-2.18.0-i686.pet 
Filesize  51.59 KB 
Downloaded  810 Time(s) 
wow

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008, 21:24    Post subject: fixed  

Yes, is a naming error. Filefront always rename the filename if it has more than 30 characters.

EDIT: I have changed the URL for gnome-python-desktop-2.18.0-i686.pet to the one attached by MU Smile

dinky

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 22:39    Post subject: Screenlets sfs  

Hi folks, made a screenlets.sfs with the packages above, courtesy of MU's SFS-combiner. Works well on my box. Enjoy!

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/sfs/screenlets.sfs
wolfwatcher51

PostPosted: Fri 23 May 2008, 04:36    Post subject:  

Hey guys, a little help please.

I have my desktop just about perfect, at least for me.

I am using gdesklets and am happy with them except for the weather desklet.

So, I wanted to try some screenlets. I d'loaded all the pets and installed them. Opened screenlets manager and tried one or two of the provided desklets. They worked fine, but were not what I was looking for.

I went to the screenlets website and found several I wanted to try. They were .tar.gz files just like the gdesklets.

I placed them in my documents and then opened the manager and tried to install them. I got an error message, something about invalid archive. Tried two and stopped.

The included screenlets were in /usr/local/share/screenlets. So, I used the archiver to extract the directory from the tarball. I copied one into the directory, rebooted, or restarted icewm, and opened the manager and there it was and I installed it. OK, but did not like it so I deleted it.

Not sure if I did the reboot/restart wm thing or not, but I went ahead and copied the rest of the screenlets into the directory. I am pretty sure I rebooted and when I tried to start the manager, nothing happened. It was in the menu, but no icon, not sure if it had one originally or not.

I deleted all the screenlets I had copied into the screenlets directory and then used puppy pkg mgr to remove the screenlets pet. Rebooted, Reinstalled the pet, rebooted and tried to open the manager, but no go.

So, I redeleted/uninstalled again and now here I am. I was so into the screenlet thing I did not notice right away that when I rebooted, it said boot cd. I had left the live cd in the drive from earlier work. I removed it and rebooted, now going to the graphical grub as expected and I think I am back together.

What do you think I did wrong? Why did the screenlet manager not handle the .tar.gz files and later not open at all? If I should not have extracted and copied into the screenlets directory the new screenlets, what is the procedure? I am open to suggestions and I will make sure the $$&*@# disk is not in the drive this time. Thanks in advance, Chris.
olovram

PostPosted: Fri 23 May 2008, 12:31    Post subject:  

Maybe it has something to do with the versions, because this screenlets are quite old.

I have compile the latest version, but have been having some trouble with it because of the fact that puppy runs as root and other things Confused .

Anyway, I´ll compile other versions to test them and stay with one.

Here is the latest screenlet version:
http://hosted.filefront.com/olovram/

Edit: Link to another file, the last one didnt worked.
wolfwatcher51

PostPosted: Fri 23 May 2008, 14:37    Post subject:  

olovram,

Thanks for the reply and the pet. I will give it a go when I get home later this evening, Chris.
verycd8

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan 2009, 02:18    Post subject:  

4.12puppy use???
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: