pcPuppyOS RC4 Now Available

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
djringjr

#16 Post by djringjr »

Mut won't show the save_file. If it's mounted, it would be at /mnt/home/pup_save.2fs and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/pup_save.2fs (which are the same place - /mnt/home is a symlink). If not, /mnt/home won't exist (may not anyways in 3.xx) and /initrd/mnt/dev_save/ will be empty
You must be thinking of pmount, pizzasgood. mut certainly shows the save file if it is mounted - and it shows it exactly where you say.

I prefer using mut because of that reason and also because it is very easy to play DVDs that I put in the computer!

I find pmount very slow!

Anyway mut doesn't show that there is a mounted save file. I can't explain why I'm booting into a Puppy 3.01 - especially when I get the splash screen for pcPuppyOS - which is a BEAUTIFUL splash screen. I really like that!!!

I'll post a helpful hint in the next post.

Best to you,

David
djringjr

djringjr

resuming failed iso download

#17 Post by djringjr »

This is more for new comers than old timers - it tells how to use wget to resume a failed download. Ignore the rest of this post if you know that already!

Use ROX (file manager for Puppy) to go into the location that you downloaded the failed download of the file - in this case it is the file named pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso that was downloaded from the www.puppylinux.ca site. (See earlier note about corrupt file on the other site).

Right click into ROX and then select "Window" and then "Terminal Here" and you will bring up an xterm terminal in the correct directory (folder).

Then issue this command:

[code]wget -c www.puppylinux.ca/pizzasgood/pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso[/code]

You probably can click and then "copy" on this web page, but in xterm, you have to press both mouse buttons at the same time to paste.

Then enter - and wget will resume (which is the "switch" -c or "continue download") and then check the file by typing in the same xterm window

[code]md5sum pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso[/code]

That should agree with the posted mp5sum of
9b88d1c3067f8adfaca1e7439a90af25
for the file pcpuppyos_3.01-rc4.iso

I recommend using the iso2CD script under "Multimedia" on most Puppy Linux, and when done, select "verify".

Best wishes to all,

David Ring
Green Harbor, MA
-30-

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Odd. My MUT doesn't show it. It shows the partition it's on, but not the save file. Maybe the version of MUT in 2.14 is different from the version you're using.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]