Pdvdrsab-0.1 - a gtkdialog dvd rip/shrink/author/burn gui

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
plinej

#31 Post by plinej »

Right, I get that. I just wanted to make sure the entire video was burned and it didn't stop short making it unplayable. I'm not sure what the problem may be. I'll have to try to use it with all the options sometime in the next couple of days to see if it works for me.

exProphecy

#32 Post by exProphecy »

Alright, I appreciate your work by the way. It's a really great program. You should look into DVDShrink which is a Windows program as said earlier in the thread. Try it using Wine or something it works very well and is quite similar to this program. Might help you in your work.
Puppy 4.3.1 + Sansa Express MP3 Player + 10GB USB Flash Drive = My triple threat OS. :wink:
I consider myself a Turritopsis Nutricula.
[url]http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]
[url]http://www.esnips.com/web/exprophecypets[/url]

lakedude

#33 Post by lakedude »

I've been attempting to get Puppy to rip and burn DVDs for a few days now.

Of all the things I've tried so far, I had the best luck with Wine (including cabextract) and DVDShrink.

Now I have DVD files on my HD, how can I burn em to make a single layer DVD that will play in a stand alone player? Last time I tried Pburn it made a data disk that does not work in a stand alone.

TIA

BTW

DVDShrink is a pretty darn cool program and is worth checking out, unfortunately development has been discontinued so it is hard to find. Of course I have a copy if you are interested ...

plinej

#34 Post by plinej »

I haven't really messed with this program in quite some time but I do see a potential problem. I'm using the large file support option in vobcopy when ripping and if the partition your saving the ripped file to doesn't support files over 4 gigabytes the rip will abruptly stop with no explanation (well vobcopy explains the problem but my gui doesn't). I didn't realize this until I just tried to rip to an external FAT32 drive. It works fine on my internal EXT3 drive though. I'll probably do some modifications to check the format of the chosen partition and display a warning message. What type of partitions have large file support besides EXT3 & NTFS? I think I'll probably add an option for converting to AVI using ffmpeg too.

smokey01

#35 Post by smokey01 »

plinej, I seem to be having similar problems to others in the forum.

The ripping part seems to work, In fact it made a single mpg file that works perfectly when played in Gxine. I am not able to burn this to a DVD though as the file is 4.2Gb.

The file is currently sitting on an EXT2 partition. I though EXT2 partitions could handle files over 4Gb!

Also when the authoring process was occurring I noticed there were several error messages to do with sound. Can't remember the exact message but something to do with negative position or similar. Not sure if this makes any sense to you, doesn't to me.

When I put the DVD in a DVD player, not a computer, it will only play the first VOB file and there are five. Obviously the authoring part did not work properly.

On a positive note, the DVD I copied from was also a copy and a bad one at that. When I watched it on my DVD player it had frequent pixelation and often stopped although the counter continued. When viewed in Puppy and Gxine it worked perfectly. The reason I tried to copy this DVD was to see if Puppy could improve things and it did. My copy of the bad copy worked fine on the DVD player except it would only play that first chapter/file.

If I was to reformat the partition to EXT3 do you think the problem would disappear?

I have tried to use Pburn to copy the single file to a DVD and that failed also due to the >4Gb problem.

Any ideas

Thanks

Smokey

plinej

#36 Post by plinej »

The error messages that are spit out by dvdauthor are rather cryptic but most of them don't cause any problems for playing back the dvds. I would say try to do your authoring on an ext3 partition to see if it works. I'm not sure why the dvd won't play for you. The ones I've authored seem to work fine using this program. If you mount the dvd could you list the sizes and filenames of the files in the video_ts directory? If you're ripping a copied dvd you should be able to just drag the files off of the dvd and burn a copy of the video_ts folder since the vob files will already be decrypted.

smokey01

#37 Post by smokey01 »

plinej wrote:If you mount the dvd could you list the sizes and filenames of the files in the video_ts directory? If you're ripping a copied dvd you should be able to just drag the files off of the dvd and burn a copy of the video_ts folder since the vob files will already be decrypted.
I haven't actually tried copying the files from the copied DVD to a new one. Although they have been decrypted I think it must have been a poor job due to the pixelation I mentioned earlier. At least after I used your decryption it seem to get rid of the pixelation.

Is there a way to get around this 4Gb file size problem?

Thanks

Smokey

plinej

#38 Post by plinej »

You need to use a filesystem that supports large files for now. I'd suggest using EXT3.

smokey01

#39 Post by smokey01 »

plinej wrote:You need to use a filesystem that supports large files for now. I'd suggest using EXT3.
Using an EXT3 file system seem to work.

Are there any user guides available to using this program?

Do you need to copy both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS even though AUDIO_TS directory is empty to make it play on a DVD player?

I didn't copy the AUDIO_TS directory and it plays on my home theater system but not as a DVD in Gxine.

Strange stuff these DVDs. No wonder I haven't had much interest in the past.

plinej

#40 Post by plinej »

All you should need is the video_ts directory.

edoc

#41 Post by edoc »

Should pdvdrsab meet his need ... ?
I'm wanting to rip dvd movies and store them on my computer to play on
my TV. My question is what, if any program preserves the menu
selection features like when you would just normally insert the DVD?

I tried a free program called HandBrake I got it off www.filehippo.com
and it works, but I can't figure out how to keep menu selections.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jakfish

#42 Post by jakfish »

Here are some of my findings as I worked with my ASUS EEE 900, Puppy 4.1.2, and an external DVD burner/external hard drive as I ripped and re-burnt my own copy of Angel Heart:

First off, this is a great program. I'm amazed at what it can do.

The biggest problem I found was with the initial VOB file. The AH VOB file clocked in at 3.75gb, and I don't have room for that on my ASUS. So I had pdvdsab work with an external hdd (NTFS). I had hoped to simply copy the VOB to an 8gb usb flash drive, but no matter how I formatted the usb drive (ext2, ext3, fat32, ntfs), the file proved too big to copy.

In fat32, the VOB/flash drive would play in Puppy, but freeze at the 2gb mark even though the entire 3.75 file had ostensibly copied.

So if a user wanted to travel with a netbook and watch a movie on a usb flash drive, then s/he must rip, shrink, author to a big-enough drive, then copy the 4 VOB files to the flash drive.

This must be done WITHOUT selecting VAMPS. VOBs ripped with VAMPS did not play on my Puppy's gxine media player. Once the flash drive is ready, open File in gxine, find the flash drive, and choose all, and only, the VOB files. The movie will play.

But if you want to burn a DVD, I found that I had to use VAMPS to get the DVD to play in PowerDVD player on XP SP3, for example. [I have a lousy stand-alone dvd player which would not play the reburnt AH in any form--but I'm hoping that's because it's a crummy machine. I do not have another stand-alone to test.]

As an aside, I'd like to know why, when I formatted the USB flash drive in ext3, I still couldn't copy a 3.75gb file to it. Is that an ext3 limitation, or something to do with my USB flash drive?

Jake

plinej

#43 Post by plinej »

ext3 will support large files so I'm not sure why it wouldn't copy the whole file. I have not experienced that problem on any usb drives I have that are formatted to ext3.

jakfish

#44 Post by jakfish »

Thanks for your reply, and I figured out what was the problem: dodgy USB drive, even though brand new. Once I tried another USB flash, everything worked: full, shrunk,or authored VOB files.

It was driving me crazy until I figured it out.

Jake

wizzerd02

shrinking from hard disk

#45 Post by wizzerd02 »

I would like to shrink author and burn but already have the dvd ripped to a folder on my hard drive. When I choose shrink it asks for an existing vob or mpeg, but the main movie is composed of 5 different vob's. Do I have to choose each .vob that corresponds to the main movie to shrink or is there a way to choose a title number as you would when ripping from the disk and have all the vob's shrunk to fit a dvd 5 in one step?

I hope this makes sense

*Edit*
I see that I can just do a cat command in the terminal to create one .vob from many. I believe this solves my troubles.

i did notice however the vobcopy site mentions using -i /dev/dvd is a bad idea and is better to use a mount point. Should I be mounting the disk then changing the input to /mnt/sr0? (that is of course when I am trying to go from a disk and not the hard drive)

plinej

#46 Post by plinej »

I've found it unnecessary to mount the dvd to rip it. I've had no problems ripping directly from the device.

jakfish

#47 Post by jakfish »

As an update to my endless quest to bring successful VOB movies on the road without an actual player, I have found--at least w/ regard to the ASUS EEE 900--that the key is in USB flash: it can't be larger than 4GBs, no matter what drive format chosen.

I've tried putting one or two 3.75GB VOB files on two different makes of 8GB USB drives and no scenario would play (the ASUS EEE has a second 8GB NTFS SSD, which will hold and play two VOB movies, so perhaps the problem lies more w/ USB drives than the ASUS, I just don't know).

But I've purchased two Kingston DataTraver 4GB, both willl hold a VOB without the need to shrink, and both play movies without complaint (in FAT32).

Though my set of circumstances are particularly arcane, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can replicate this oddness.

Jake

Hugh

Long Movie rip to fat32

#48 Post by Hugh »

Apparently the problem I've experienced with pdvdrsab is a characteristic of fat 32. I'm running MediaPup 4.1.2r as a frugal on my Win98 machine.

When I rip the movie a single VOB is created that gradually increases in size until it hits the fat 32 'wall' at 4096 MB then abruptly exits.

The length of the movie is 7.9 GB so I have the partial.vob which is about 53% of the total movie and I'm not able to find a way to resume the rip to pick up the rest of the movie.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to modify the script to enable the creation of multiple successively numbered 1024 MB VOBs (or the same size as the original ripped VOBs) instead of the one massive VOB, to permit compatibility with fat32 and versatile authoring into more than one dvd later?

Gorilla no baka

Pdvdrsab Puppy linux 4.20

#49 Post by Gorilla no baka »

All right...

Here`s what`s going on....I just decided half hearted to upgrade from 215CE to Puppy linux 4.20 and yestarday i also tryed to rip a DVD..

Everything was fine ..The ripping was succesful , i ended up with a 6GB .vob file which was obviously way to big to store it on a 4 GB DVD..

So i decided to shrink it in order to be able to burn it on my dvd..
After 20 minutes of shrinking i ended up with a smaller file that could fit on my dvd ..THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT AFTER I SHRANK IT I LOST THE SUBTITLING...NO MATTER WHICH CHANNEL I CHOSE THE SUPTITLE IS LOST..

I tried various sizes and stuff but I have noticed that while i keep the riped .vob file at the original 6 GB I still can access the subtitles..

The moment i try to shrink it even more...

THEY`RE GONE...

Is there Any way arount this,...?? I mean having a 4GB Shrunk file and subtitles in the same time..?

THank you
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/29zdifo.jpg[/img]
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

Gorilla no baka

Pdvdrsab acting funny

#50 Post by Gorilla no baka »

Anyone??

Can anyone help me out guys..?

Cheers!
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/29zdifo.jpg[/img]
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]