Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 08:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Ethernet
Driver needed for a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 cardbus
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Beartooth

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2008, 17:33    Post_subject:  Driver needed for a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 cardbus  

The auto-probe still doesn't find me one.

What I have is a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Integrated CardBus PC Card, according to its label.

On the back is something I can't read, white on yellow, and then PCM200. Also a couple of bar codes. One seems to be a serial number. The other says "00045A A3A729"
Beartooth

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2008, 11:53    Post_subject: Solved in part : I found one!
Sub_title: 3.01 now boots -- from CD only, afaik -- and connects

I found some kind of hardware-browser app, which gave a recognizable description and included the word tulip (which is not on the card); then went through the list of drivers again, and found the word tulip there.

So now it boots and connects -- but I can't seem to get it to write to the hard drive.

I have three partitions : boot, swap, and main. But I keep getting errors saying /dev/hda3 is mounted read-only.

I created a root password; so I can raise a terminal, become root, and tell it to mount /dev/hda3 -- where?? at / ?
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2008, 20:09    Post_subject: Re: Solved in part : I found one!
Sub_title: 3.01 now boots -- from CD only, afaik -- and connects

Beartooth wrote:
I found some kind of hardware-browser app, which gave a recognizable description and included the word tulip (which is not on the card); then went through the list of drivers again, and found the word tulip there.

So now it boots and connects -- but I can't seem to get it to write to the hard drive.

Reading your posts in their entirety I'm presuming:

1) the connection problem is solved

2) we are only dealing with a mounting problem

Beartooth wrote:
I have three partitions : boot, swap, and main. But I keep getting errors saying /dev/hda3 is mounted read-only.

I'd like to see what mount says. You can open console, type mount, enter, select output with left mouse, leave selected and paste into a forum post by pressing the middle mouse button.

Here's my mount output at present. The (rw) tell me that the various mount points are mounted read/write.

/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
shmfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/hdd5 on /mnt/hdd5 type ext2 (rw,noatime)

Beartooth wrote:
I created a root password; so I can raise a terminal, become root, and tell it to mount /dev/hda3 -- where?? at / ?

With Puppy you are almost always root. Therefore when you open a console window, it's ready to accept root commands.

For manual mounting of hda3 you would want to make a mount point. I'd recommend /mnt/hda3 as the conventional location for mounting. However you can mount hda3 at other locations. If you want /mnt/hda3 you must make a directory if it doesn't already exist.

mkdir /mnt/hda3

Presuming /mnt/hda3 and an ext2 filesystem the commands would be.

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

The default would be read/write

If you don't know your filesystem type you can usually eliminate the -t switch and mount will figure it out. Then your command line input would be:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Ethernet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum