MUT2 buggy edition

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#61 Post by BarryK »

Ha, Ha, I like what you have done for the Dingo-pmount-mut!

Well, why don't we put a little switch-over button in Pmount, to choose between the default and mut underlying engines? That way, users can choose the one they like, and the choice should be remembered.
You can add more features to the Pmount-with-mut-engine GUI as you wish, without altering the default Pmount.

Probably best to leave the original 'pmount' script alone except put a little bit of code at the beginning to read the users prior choice of engine, and if they had selected mut, then jump to the 'pmount-mut' script.

Does that seem like a good idea?

Or, you could keep them as separate apps. I was just thinking that it would be convenient for the desktop 'mount' icon to have this switch-over capability.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

JB4x4

#62 Post by JB4x4 »

Jesse,

Just reporting that the hard drive naming is fixed (not doubled anymore). Keep up the good work.

JB

Jesse

#63 Post by Jesse »

Wolf Pup wrote: mut2_1.0.0.1130 does not freeze up puppy anymore, but when play is clicked in MUT2, there is no music played.
Ok, this could indicate a few different things.
Theres two ways to play cd audio, the application reads and decodes audio data, then sends it to the sound card, the other way is to send the drive comands and have the drive do all the work but this requires a direct connection to the sound card to get the sound out.
The cdaudio controls that mut uses, get the drive to play the audio out its audio cable, which needs to be connected to the sound card (or seperate speakers for external drives), so your sound card needs to have its volume controls set ok for cdaudio, use your sound mixer to check/set these things.
Theres one thing mut may well be not addressing that is causing your problem, the cdrom drive itself has a volume control, mut curently isn't setting or checking this value, if your drive as a default volume setting of zero, this could also cause the problem.
I think gxine reads audio data and sends that to sound card, but I might be mistaken on that, do you have an application that plays audio via drive commands, I think its called "CD Audio Player", is that able to play audio for you?

Jesse

Jesse

#64 Post by Jesse »

steevieb wrote:with LHP301 and working as well, except sda,b,c,d are now sde,f,g,h. Minor problem, as this means the 3 series is now usable for me. :D
Hi steevieb,
I'm glad some things are working for you. I'm not sure that I can change things about your drive letters changing though. From what I understand about the drive letter allocation, they are assigned in the order that the drives become available to the kernel, so when the drivers are loaded in a different order,other drives are registered first. What I think is happening is that you have something like a usb-chip reader with 4 physical ports (each assigned a scsi drive letter), such that for LHP301 the usb & usb-storage is loaded before your scsi kernel module drivers, and in LHP215 the module order is different which is reflected in the drive order change. Those driver loads happen at boot time, well before mut has a chance to do anything. You might try things like installing and running from a hard disk, or perhaps removing the usb-chip reader. I'm not sure what the best solution for you would be. The best solution will be a complicaed and technical, having puppy linux always load from boot disk all the scsi disk controller drivers before usb might work, and always in a particular order, but that isn't likely to suit all puppy users either. Possibly a boot system where anyone can easilly build their own boot disk (initrd.gz) with scsi/usb in a particular order, is the best solution.
Jesse

Jesse

#65 Post by Jesse »

BarryK wrote:Ha, Ha, I like what you have done for the Dingo-pmount-mut!

Well, why don't we put a little switch-over button in Pmount, to choose between the default and mut underlying engines? That way, users can choose the one they like, and the choice should be remembered.
You can add more features to the Pmount-with-mut-engine GUI as you wish, without altering the default Pmount.

Probably best to leave the original 'pmount' script alone except put a little bit of code at the beginning to read the users prior choice of engine, and if they had selected mut, then jump to the 'pmount-mut' script.

Does that seem like a good idea?
Hi Barry,

Yes you could certainly do things that way, but there is a slightly simpler approach to effectively do all that.
I'll fill in a few blanks you might have missed.
MUT2s application is a multi-app like how busybox operates. There are several applications that can be run from mut that can be invoked via a symlink to the mut executable.
Two of the symlink applications that mut can emulate, are probepart and probedisk. Choosing muts implementation for these is the only real difference I changed for pmount.
If those symlinks are on the path, then all applictions that use those programs will be using muts drive cache information, which provides quicker access to the data than the original probepart/probedisk applications.
The choice between mut and the default engine, as you put it, could simply remap all the symlinks to/from mut and the original apps.
This could provide a speedup in boot time, and other puppy scripts related to disk probes/info.
I hope you like the thought of that idea :D

Jesse

Jesse

#66 Post by Jesse »

JB4x4 wrote:Just reporting that the hard drive naming is fixed (not doubled anymore). Keep up the good work.
Coolies :D I'm glad to hear it. thank you for the feedback.
Jesse

steevieb

#67 Post by steevieb »

Booted without card reader I get sda,b,c & d. :oops: Thanks Jesse.
Pmount also shows sda,b,c & d.
If I then plug in the card reader MUT2 does not find it even with a rescan, although I do not think it found it before the reboot. Forgot to check.
It does find a usb cd-rw that was plugged in at boot as sr0.

Even stranger, Pmount finds and can read the card (as sdg1),but then loses the info for the 9 & 18gb scsi drives.
Removed the card reader and all drives are back. I do not use the card reader (or Pmount) much so can live with this.

Wolf Pup

#68 Post by Wolf Pup »

Jesse, i checked the mixer and set them all to above 50 and unmuted them all, then tryed again with MUT2 and inserted an audio cd, still no sound, the command cdplay does not play the music, on both MUT2 and cdplay, the cd spins, but no sound. also checked for volume control on the cd drive, theres none there.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

Jesse

#69 Post by Jesse »

Hi Wolf Pup,

I think the most likely cause for your situation is that the cd-audio cable is either loose, or not hooked up, or possibly hooked up to the wrong sound card if you have two.
If you received a motherboard box with your computer, usually containing driver disks and things, you might find a spare cable there.

Here is a link that shows images of the sort of cable that I am talking about:
http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/cdromcables.htm

Here is a link that describes the cd-rom audio system in great detail in case there are any points that could help clear up any potential issues:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/c ... _wire.html

I hope that helps.

Jesse