MPlayer-1.0rc2 + mencoder Feb 2008

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
tempestuous

#61 Post by tempestuous »

aalib (ascii art) video output support is one of the many options possible when compiling MPlayer, but one which I deliberately disabled with this version of MPlayer because I consider it of very little practical use.

So you must be using some other version of MPlayer, and your query is not directly relevant to this thread.

Please post your query in another forum thread relevant to that version, or better still, install this version.

MinHundHettePerro

#62 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

abushcrafter wrote:when the menu is refreshed that edit gets lost so do this instead:
Replace /usr/local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop contents with this for the menu entry
Exec=gmplayer -msglevel all=-1 %U &
That & in mplayer.desktop crashes jwm -p (used in all the jwm-config-manager scripts), at least in 214X, better to make a run-script that contains the & :).

Fwiw :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

MU

#63 Post by MU »

sketchman wrote: Mplayer starts fine, but won't play a video in "xv" mode. the only mode that works is "x11". The video will play fine in this mode, but only at its normal size. Ctrl+F makes the window fullscreen, but the video remains the same and just gets surrounded by black space..
very late reply, but as it is of general interest:

using "x11", you have no hardware-scaling, but can force software-scaling.
This however requires a fast CPU.

Run mplayer like this:

Code: Select all

gmplayer -vo x11 -fs -x 1024 -y 768 -zoom test.avi
Mark
Last edited by MU on Fri 30 Apr 2010, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#64 Post by MU »

Watching movies downloaded from the web on a 52'' TV, is not such a great pleasure.
Movies are scaled from 720x576 pixel (or less) to 1980x1080.

As a result, hair looks "filthy", not very detailed.

You can enhance the result, by adding a sharpening filter.
Example:

gmplayer -vo xv -loop 1000 -x 1920 -y 1080 -zoom -fs -vf-add unsharp=l3x3:1 test.avi
The "unsharp" switch is not well known, and you cannot activate it in the mplayer-gui.

This will scale and show it fullscreen, and sharpen the picture.
Suddenly, you see more details, especially hair looks better.
Other parts of the picture might look less good, e.g. diagonal lines now have a "staircase" effect. But overall it looks more pleasant to me.

Do not use the filter on HDTV-Movies, they are sharp already, and the filter uses so much CPU power, so that the movie will drop too many frames.

My system: Athlon 2x2.6 Ghz, Ati Radeon 4850 wit Catalyst 9.11, Samsung LE52B750.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

taca0

#65 Post by taca0 »

tempestuous,

Your mplayer version plays all my videos But.. I have a problem with drivers ... I can not use xv drivers because crash my pc . I need to use X11 but the one that you have not have scaling so , How I change that on the player ? to make the player use only X11 driver with scaling ?

Let me know if understand!

tempestuous

#66 Post by tempestuous »

First run "xrandr" to determine your screen resolution. Let's say it's 1024 x 768.
Now do this -

/usr/local/bin/mplayer -vo x11 -zoom -x 1024 -y 768 -fs /path/to/my videofile
or for DVD playback -

/usr/local/bin/mplayer -vo x11 -zoom -x 1024 -y 768 -fs dvdnav:// 
With xv video output, the -fs switch defines the scaling.

But with x11 video output, the -fs switch just adds a black border.
That's why you need to specify the scaling with the -zoom -x -y switches.

I must say that if a graphics card fails to work with xv video output, I would consider that card inadequate for multimedia use in Linux !
I would either replace that card with an nVIDIA device, or relegate it for use with some other operating system such as Window$.

tempestuous

#67 Post by tempestuous »

Linux Infrared Remote Control dotpet package for Puppy5.1.x just added to the first post.
List of LIRC kernel modules:

lirc_atiusb
lirc_bt829
lirc_dev
lirc_ene0100
lirc_i2c
lirc_igorplugusb
lirc_imon
lirc_it87
lirc_ite8709
lirc_mceusb
lirc_parallel