Using Puppy as an 'advanced' BootManager

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
uebershark

Using Puppy as an 'advanced' BootManager

#1 Post by uebershark »

Hi,
I'm currently in need of a bootmanager that lets me boot from my sata-cdrom drive. Due to a bios bug, this is not possible directly.
I've tried all sorts of bootmanagers but they all fail to detect my drive.

So I've been thinking of using puppy for the job.
It would be installed onto a usb-stick, which would in turn boot up the linux kernel, which can handle my drive just fine.

I'd then need some kind of mechanism to 'bootstrap' onto any bootable media in my drive. This is where I don't really know if such a thing is feasible or available :?:

Any suggestions would certainly be most welcome!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I suggest that you first try Puppy from a live CD to see if it will detect your drive at all. You'll probably want to burn a live CD anyway. I think that's the easiest way to install Puppy.

uebershark

#3 Post by uebershark »

Well I'm not trying to install puppy. I'm thinking of using it for the purpose described above.
I've actually got it running on my usb-stick quite nicely.
It also detects my drive, like any other linux distro does.
There just seem to be no way of accessing it, 'before' some kind of OS initialises the sata controller, due to the afore mentioned bios bug :(

Anyway, I just need a way to do the 'bootstrapping'...then maybe 'thin' it down some little more, remove X and other unused functionality and so on.

raffy

4.12 and up

#4 Post by raffy »

Nice to hear that Puppy is working in USB key. Versions 4.12 and up (not thhe retro) should do fine for your system.

You may want to add media=satahd in syslinux.cfg.

Look for g_pup - it is a light build ready for multi-cores.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ecomoney

#5 Post by ecomoney »

You will need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst on your keypen drive. You can get it to boot any other linux....or even windows.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!