Opera 10.10 and Opera 9.64

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#46 Post by Béèm »

KF6SNJ wrote:@Taavi,

I heartily recommend installing Opera from the tgz. Simply tell puppy to unzip it when ask if you want to unzip it or download it.

Extract it to /
Open a terminal and cd the folder
type ./install.sh

Answer "yes" to everything.

Should work perfectly.
How do you uninstall it properly?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Colonel Panic

#47 Post by Colonel Panic »

One drawback with Opera (very good in many ways) is that unlike Firefox it doesn't upgrade by degrees. If you're using Opera 9.61 and want 9.62, you've got to download the whole thing just as if you were starting from scratch.

JustGreg

#48 Post by JustGreg »

I am in the testing stage with Puppy 4..1.1 before I transfer completely to it. I have tried both the Opera 9.62 and Flash pet packages and both work fine. The Flash plugin works fine with the Adobe test site, but, I have notice some web sites it does not work properly. I suspect it has something to do with the particular site. Thank you, Wolf Pup for the packages.

I do have two questions. The first is where is the file and its name that Opera stores the bookmarks? I have use to the import function to get my Sea Monkey bookmarks entered. But I do like to make a copy for backup purposes.

The second is similar, where is the file and its name for the address book used by the email client? I like to make a backup every so often.
Thanks again!
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

#49 Post by 106498 »

The file is in ~/.opera and is called opera6.adr . You know you can go file-import and export to export your bookmarks to html? Also I no longer backup. Opera has a feature called opera link which synchronises your bookmarks online, so you can keep them the same across all your puppy installs. (If they have opera of course). Get it by going File - Synchronise.

I made a package a while ago that makes the opera menues pretty :D Find it in this thread. Just thought some people here might like it.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

JustGreg

#50 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, 106498. I saw that file and it did not occur to me that it held the address :oops: I went to the post you recommended and down loaded the pets. Now to try them out. Thanks again.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#51 Post by JustGreg »

I installled the pets including one that adds the audio libraries. I have settled on the human theme. Everything works. I am posting this with Puppy 4..1.1 with Opera 9.62
Thanks again for the help.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

stevesr0

concurrent download limit exceeded

#52 Post by stevesr0 »

Just for the record, I received this message when I tried to download the 9.62 pet.

I assume that I just need to try later?

Steve

stevesr0

concurrent download limit exceeded followup

#53 Post by stevesr0 »

Hi, I got the same error when I tried another pet download, and someone else got the same error tonight.

Thus, it appears (?) to be a problem with the murga-linux site?

Steve

Dingo

#54 Post by Dingo »

Hey puppy guys, I have Opera 9.62 in this page

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ms:browser
you can download from me meanwhile
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

stevesr0

Opera doesn't start - needs libqt-mt.so.3

#55 Post by stevesr0 »

I had Opera 9.52 installed on Dingo (frugal install). Then had a problem while trying to upgrade to 9.62 which corrupted save file.

After generating a new save file, my opera files are not available to me, so I have attempted to install 9.62 via fresh downloads of the tar.gz and the pet hosted by Dingo (since the Wolf pup pet seems to be unavailable).

Neither has yielded a launching opera. When I try to launch from a console window, I get an error message to the effect that libqt-mt.so.3 is missing.

I understand the the necessary qt files should be available in puppy or in the tar.gz that is downloadable from Opera (where I obtained it).

I am a tad confused; vaguely recalling another software install that required a separate lib install, but this hasn't been mentioned in relation to the Opera 9.62 pet or tar.gz.

Parenthetically, the download site mentioned by Dingo seemed to cause a lot of popups and ads when I tried to download.

Steve

stevesr0

followup on libqt-mt.so.3

#56 Post by stevesr0 »

I installed a pet for qt-3.3.8 which includes libqt-mt.so.3. However, even after making symlinks between libqt-mt.so.3.3.8 and libqt-mt.so.3.3.8, I get the same error.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Steve

stevesr0

Followup on problem with libqt-mt.so.3 - SOLVED

#57 Post by stevesr0 »

Sorry for wasting peoples's time <g>.

I guess for some folks using Dingo, it is still necessary to install the qt libs.

Steve

stevesr0

getting Opera to use the (default) browser desktop icon

#58 Post by stevesr0 »

I wanted to have a desktop icon to launch Opera. The opera.sh file in the /Opera folder can be used to launch opera, but when I copied/linked it to the desktop and added the Opera icon, it didn't launch. When I right-clicked on the icon and selected "edit item", there was a line to add an argument for an executable, but I was unsure of the "phrase".

Early in this thread, Wolf Pup mentioned dragging the opera.desktop file to the desktop to create such an icon, but I don't have such a file!

Then, I read a comment by Hairy Will in a separate thread that the default browser can be changed by editing the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file. This just involved changing seamonkey to opera. In addition, I chose to change the text under the icon to Opera and the image to one of the opera images in the /opera/share/icons/hicolor folder.

This was pretty simple and got me a working desktop icon launch for Opera.

Reporting this if anyone else lacks an opera.desktop file.

Steve

rubeng

Unable to download 9.62

#59 Post by rubeng »

Because "Concurrent download limit exceeded" :?:

Is there an alternative link?

Dingo

Re: Unable to download 9.62

#60 Post by Dingo »

rubeng wrote:Because "Concurrent download limit exceeded" :?:

Is there an alternative link?
do you know dokupuppy?
have you read this post in this same page?
Hey puppy guys, I have Opera 9.62 in this page

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ms:browser
you can download from me meanwhile
direct link

download here

or here
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

hydrurga

#61 Post by hydrurga »

Hi guys,

I downloaded and unzipped the Opera 9.62 zip and then, using ROX-filer, double clicked on opera-9.62.pet to install it. All seemed to go swimmingly, but subsequently typing "opera" at the command line gives the error:
# opera

OPERA_DIR unset and not found at expected location (/usr/share/opera)
Anyone any idea what the problem is? I'm running Puppy 4.1.1 on a full hard disk install.

Many thanks,

Pete

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

I cant get this web address to display in Opera properly http://livecam.courchevel.com/index.php?langue=2, it should be a 360deg scrolling webcam image, and is fine in Seamonkey on the same system. I have Opera 9.62. Does anyone have any ideas?????
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dicktater

#63 Post by dicktater »

hydrurga wrote:Hi guys,

I downloaded and unzipped the Opera 9.62 zip and then, using ROX-filer, double clicked on opera-9.62.pet to install it. All seemed to go swimmingly, but subsequently typing "opera" at the command line gives the error:
# opera

OPERA_DIR unset and not found at expected location (/usr/share/opera)
Anyone any idea what the problem is? I'm running Puppy 4.1.1 on a full hard disk install.

Many thanks,

Pete
I'm having the same issue. Though, that I would be patient and wait for a response from someone before posting. Sadly for Opera lovers with issues installing, one has yet to be forthcoming.

It is rather amazing that it is so difficult to get Opera running on Puppy. It's such a great browser. I am not a Firefox fan, per se. But, I did install Firepup on a celeron 700 laptop:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 35&t=34876

And, it runs like a scalded dog.

It will have to do until I can get Opera running. Though Firepup marks the first time I have ever enjoyed using an otherwise sluggish FF, Opera is just too feature rich without the aggravation of installing a zillion silly extensions to make a full-time move to any Firefox derivative.

I do hope that someone will help with this issue.

jrb

#64 Post by jrb »

Hi guys,
I'm typing this in Opera 9.62 downloaded from:
http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/bugs/opera-9.62.pet
Installed and running no problems.

Did you check to see if /usr/share/opera/ is there? What about /usr/bin/opera?

If not then try changing the name of opera-9.62.pet to opera-9.62.tgz. Click on it and extract files. Open the new opera-9.62 folder and then copy the etc and usr folders to /
(menu->filesystem->Rox then go up one level). Merge the folders and then try to start opera.

If that doesn't work then try downloading the pet again. Could be a bad file.

Artie

#65 Post by Artie »

Please update the Opera .pet to 9.63. Thanks.

Artie