Sound Problem

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Whim

Sound Problem

#1 Post by Whim »

Hi, I'm running puppy on a packard bell easynote F5280 HR. Everything's works great except the sound. Alsaconf detects my soundcard and loads the correct module but no sound comes out of the speakers.

My soundcard is a SIS with chipset 7012 and the module is intel8x0.

I've tried turning everything up full in alsamixer but to no avail. Lsmod shows that the module is loaded.

I'd really appreciate any tips anyone can give me on getting this working.

And I'm running puppy 3.01 on a full install dual-boot with windows xp.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I haven't tried Puppy 3.x, but have had the same problem in recent Puppies (2.x and 4). Try killing everything relating to sound, including the volume control in the taskbar, and then running the alsa wizard. A couple of us have found that we have to do this every time we boot in the Dingo (Puppy 4) alphas.

Whim

#3 Post by Whim »

Thanks for the help and I just tried that and it doesn't work. I closed everything I could without shutting down the laptop. It's very annoying when the it's clearly detecting the card. Argh.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Having only just discovered that I actually could get sound working in my Grafpup 2 install, I know how it feels :(:(

It's probably worth trying another version of Puppy to see if that works - maybe 2.16 or 2.17 or 2.14R (new) or an older one.

Have you Googled to see if other people have problems with that chipset?

Someone posted this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 71&t=26562
I don't remember it being very helpful, but I can't really remember.