Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 15:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
the neopuppybr project
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
puppylinux

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2008, 12:33    Post subject:  the neopuppybr project
Subject description: bugs to be fixed. we need your support

Question
hi, support team and linux buddies!
we are working into the neopuppybr project together with the new brazilian puppybr developer. fyi i'm only the english helper because the developer does not manage the english language at all. this new distro is called neopuppybr. you can look up some screen shots here. the site will be like that at the http://neopuppybr.codigolivre.org.br/#
thus, we need your help to finish the project because there are some bugs to be corrected that we need to fix them up before it will be released later on. we will post later on the bugs questions here. my starting bugs questions are the following which I remarked down there below:
1)I remastered the old puppybr distro, but the icons weren't placed in the right position in the desktop area. how do I get it right? ?
2) What are the procedures or the wizard in order to fix them up to get them in the right place?i.e, should all icons in the desktop area be queued in the right place after the remastering ?
3)How do I take application softwares off without destroying the system?
How do I get the openoffice suite as default writer editor, if I need to remove the remnant softwares pre-installed with the neopuppybr ?

we need your support as soon as possible. don't be afraid to support us with your assistance.I'd appreciate your helpful hints. please share your experience with us ! the reason is for a great & handy linux project! thanks a lot. Best Regards.

Idea

Last edited by puppylinux on Fri 22 Feb 2008, 19:11; edited 1 time in total
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2008, 18:22    Post subject:  

3) It is supposed to be best to use the "Puppy unleashed" build scripts to build an iso from scratch (just like Barry does), instead of using a remaster script. However, it is much more common to use the remaster script, and you might find it easier. If you are using a remaster script, and you want to remove an application, there is the "petbegone" package to do this. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035
It sounds like you should be careful and back up your pup_save.2fs file before using it, in case something goes wrong.
2) I think if you are remastering it should get this right, but I don't know. Hopefully someone else will let us know Smile
1) I don't understand the question - maybe you can explain it in a different way.

BTW, which version of Puppy are you going to use?
puppylinux

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2008, 19:20    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
3) It is supposed to be best to use the "Puppy unleashed" build scripts to build an iso from scratch (just like Barry does), instead of using a remaster script. However, it is much more common to use the remaster script, and you might find it easier. If you are using a remaster script, and you want to remove an application, there is the "petbegone" package to do this. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035
It sounds like you should be careful and back up your pup_save.2fs file before using it, in case something goes wrong.
2) I think if you are remastering it should get this right, but I don't know. Hopefully someone else will let us know Smile
1) I don't understand the question - maybe you can explain it in a different way.

BTW, which version of Puppy are you going to use?

Very Happy
hi, disciple. first of all thank you for your prompt reply. I remade the question number 1 (above) which it has connection with question number 2. now,the new question number is like that: "I remastered the old puppybr distro, but the icons weren't placed in the right position in the desktop area. how do I get it right?" even myself i didn't get it and I have already asked the developer about this question number 1 again. but he didn't reply to me yet.your sugestions were very useful and I will let the developer know about it. thanks again for the cooperation. God bless you! best regards.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2008, 15:57    Post subject:  

Here's something I figured out just yesterday. Perhaps it will help you.

If you use the remaster script, it puts vmlinuz, pup_nnn.sfs et cetera into a read-only subdir called puppylivecdbuild.

If you boot Puppy 2.17, you can go into puppylivecdbuild and copy pup_nnn.sfs to somewhere else, say an empty subdir /my_build in an empty partition hda3. The copy of pup_nnn.sfs is not read-only. By clicking on the copy in Rox, you can open the entire pup_nnn.sfs filesystem and so edit any file in it.

(Don't do this in Puppy 4, though, because it writes sfs files in a different, incompatible manner than Puppy 2. Not sure yet about Puppy 3).

Then if you copy vmlinuz, initrd.gz and so forth into /mnt/hda3/my_build alongside the edited pup_nnn.sfs, you can remaster from /mnt/hda3/my_build. Your new ISO will incorporate all the changes that the Puppy remaster script does not preserve.

So, if you have already done a remaster, but you forgot something (or, something you tried to change didn't "take"), what you do is, you boot your "wrong" remaster and modify it, then copy the "right" version of the appropriate config file over (replace) the mounted, opened appropriate same file in the pup_nnn.sfs image in /mybuild.

For example, if you want to change the default icon title colors on the desktop, you start your remastered live-CD, change the colors to what you like, then copy

/root/Choices/ROX-filer/Options

over the same file (replace it) inside the pup_nnn.sfs in /my_build.

If you want to change the opening behavior of Seamonkey, for example to specify a user's own home page or which fonts to use, you copy

/root/.mozilla/default/{some numbers and letters}/prefs.js

over the same file in /my_build.

Hope this helps. Now pay me back: tell me how to use Texas Flood to boot Puppy 4 in 7 seconds flat...

SHS
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2008, 06:47    Post subject:  

Presumably you know that the pinboard is controlled by ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/MyPinboard or PuppyPin or something (unless it has changed).
I'm not sure where the original one that you get when you boot Puppy the first time comes from...

SHS - did you see my reply in the pfind thread? (zigbert replied first, but didn't really have the answer to your question)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: