installing enlightenment E17 WM - what am I doing wrong?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
zband

installing enlightenment E17 WM - what am I doing wrong?

#1 Post by zband »

I really would like to install E17 WM on puppy 3.01 - I've downloaded the "srs" modules (I have to tell you that I am a total noob with linux). Searching posts I've read that I have to put the srs file in the /mnt/home directory and then use BootManager to load it on restart. Well here's the problem, there is no folder under mnt thats named "home" and to make matters worse if I place the .srs file in /mnt, the BM does not see it. The only way that BM sees the srs file is If I place it in / (foward slash folder).

But now when I reboot the and restart the wm (ctrl-alt-delete and type xwin enlightenment_start) at the command prompt I get the standard puppy WM.

What in Gods name and I doing wrong???

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

If you ever find out place the info here (for Buddha's sake)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EnlightenmentWM

good luck :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pcguru

#3 Post by pcguru »

in what way are you useing puppy ???
by that - what I mean is - are you ...
booting the live CD ? (if so then, do you have a save file, if so then where)
frugal install ? (if so does puppy have his own folder/directory - or are the puppy file in the root of a drive/partition)
full install ?
erm, to put it more simply a little more detail would help ?

zband

#4 Post by zband »

Sorry - I have the full install. Like I said I am a total noobie!

I'm still miffed in what is preventing me from installing this window manager.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

zband,

The .sfs files really only work properly with puppy if you're running it from CD/DVD, or frugal hard disk install. To use an .sfs file with a full install, you need to mount the .sfs file & copy across everything to it's location in the normal directory structure.

I haven't used pup3.01, but apparently if you just click the .sfs file, it will open up it's internal file system.
(With older puppy versions you need to mount it on the commandline with something like mount -o loop /xyz.sfs /xyz )

You would then need to copy across the relavent directories. e.g. copy the .sfs file /usr directory to /usr.