Multisession Puppy won't boot with XP Pro?

Booting, installing, newbie
hdt

Multisession Puppy won't boot with XP Pro?

#1 Post by hdt »

dell xps t500 running win xp pro. trying to boot puppy live cd pressed 5 and enter at boot screen to activate multisession disk. when it gets to hd it sticks there saying lost interrupt. tried restoring windows to earlier time, no good. any ideas, thanx

#2 Post by Guest »

Did you burn the CD as a multi-session disk or just an image to disk.

hdt

#3 Post by hdt »

disk was burned as multisession disk. disk works fine in other dell computer with xp pro, but i did not push the 5 key and enter at boot screen with it. i believe i read that the 5 enter causes the system to recognize the disk auto as multisession. i am thinking a flag must be added to registry which is causing my problem at boot, although a system restore did not change it. any other ideas would be great, i would like touse this "puppy".

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy does not write to the Windows registery or any other Windows system or configuration file

it writes to only one file called pup001 (or a similar name) ... if your Windows XP uses an NTFS file system, as opposed to FAT32, Puppy will not even create a pup001 file and won't touch your hard drive at all, you have to make the pup001 file yourself from Windows

i don't think a multi-session cd uses your hard drive at all, either ... everything runs in ram, and the changes are written back to the multi-session cd when you shut Puppy down

you may have changed something in your bios settings ... Puppy should not have changed any bios settings

Windows file systems often get corrupted (cross-linked files for example), sometimes scandisk can fix the problems, sometimes it can't ... if the file system is corrupted, any writing to the file system (for example, just booting Windows writes to your file system) can write over files, including system files, and Windows may suddenly stop booting ... Win XP seems to be more stable then Win 9x, but it is not perfect and can still crash

#5 Post by Guest »

win xp still boots and runs ok. icant get puppy to boot on the machine that i did a 5 and enter at original try to boot. same puppy disk boots and runs fine on another xp machine that i did not do a 5 and enter. what does 5 and enter do that the machine knows it is a multisession?