Wifi for 1.0.4 based Puppies

News, happenings

Wifi for 1.0.4 based Puppies

#1 Post by Guest »

Here it is

Many thanks to Blackadder for all the hardwork in documenting and configuring the drivers

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/dotpups ... beta-2.pup

Please note that this will only work Puppy-1.0.4 and my two recent releases

So if it gets you out of trouble please don't forget the massive contribution Paul (Blackadder) has made.

Also note if you use an atheros based chipset and have downloaded any of my 2 recent releases this package is not needed.

moritzes

working on TP 560z w/ DWl-G630

#2 Post by moritzes »

Thanks for posting this. I was using your earlier wifi beta fine with my dwl-650, but when someone gave me a g630 this weekend I decided to try the new package (I recall you had tested on this already). No real problems.

Only a couple of small hic-ups: in the /etc/rc.d/wireless.conf, I had to move the ESSID definition below the other definitions (I use MODE (managed), RATE (auto), KEY) to be recognized. IIRC, someone had mentioned this in the forum before. My guess is that because I do not broadcast my ESSID, I need to authenticate before I can specify.

Also, for some reason, I still get an error for trying to set FREQ, even though I don't try to set it.

Finally, does the dotpup overwrite any wireless.conf files that are in /etc/rc.d? I only noticed because I had to dig out my WEP key again. Perhaps the readme could have a caution?

Thanks, again. My puppy is much happier w/o a leash...

#3 Post by Guest »

Good point about overwriting a previous wireless.conf

I don't know what the deal is with the FREQ thing...As I recall it works fiine with an rtl8180 chipset but the atheros it doesn't.

Could you post your modified rc.wireless for me to have a look at ?

Thanks

moritzes

#4 Post by moritzes »

rc.wireless is stock, from your dotpup (I uncommented the dhcpcd lines at the end) (Do you want more than this?)

wireless.conf is, w/o comments, only:

Code: Select all

MODE="Managed"
    RATE="auto"
    KEY="somebiglonglistofhexvalues"
    ESSID="myessid"

#5 Post by Guest »

The order the values are in wireless.conf shouldn't make any difference as rc.wireless does the work and that decides which order the values are loaded.

Maybe you had a typo when you origianlly input the values and when you changed the order the values were correct.

moritzes

#6 Post by moritzes »

Strange. It was a cut and paste job, definitely. So typo would have persisted.

At the end of the boot sequence, I got an error that it couldn't set MODE (I think, perhaps RATE?) and ESSID because no wlan0 device existed. Then, immediately after, the other two values, KEY and RATE were set for wlan0. But I wasn't hooked up, because no ESSID. Why would wlan0 be recognized during the middle of all this? I booted with card in place, of course.

If you tell me where the boot log is (sorry; still pretty wet behind the ears at linux) I'll give you the relevant part if you want it.

#7 Post by Guest »

in rc.wireless theres a line

sleep 5

or maybe 3

try increasing that

moritzes

#8 Post by moritzes »

I adjusted "sleep" from 3 to 6 -- no change.
Went up to 20 -- success!
Thx.

Petr

wifi beginner

#9 Post by Petr »

OK I am lost. I am pointed at this forum to find a package called wifi-beta. Then I get instructions about not using WAG if I don't know what to type in. Can someone who knows what they are doing find a virgin Puppy user, and just watch what they get wrong. Then write some instructions.

So far Puppy is better than ubuntu, but...

P.

BlackAdder

#10 Post by BlackAdder »

Petr: Starting from the top.
What wifi adapter do you have? The wifi dot pup is based on ndiswrapper and supports a fair number of adapters (but far from all).
There are other drivers available also, and it would help to know the adapter type so that we can know if there is a driver for your adapter.
If you know how, could you run lspci and post the result in this thread.

If you want to be bold you could download the wifi dot pup and follow the HowTo.
The host location for wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup is now:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... beta-2.pup
It seems to work okay with all incarnations of 1.0.5, but only very limited testing has been possible.