minimalistic puppy as a vmware player player

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dWLkR

#1 Post by dWLkR »

hi there!

is someone interested in creating a puppy derivate - that lacks of apps - but has all the drivers included? 1st the mount tool will be started (for beeing able choosing vmware images from drives) and then vmware player should start "fullscreen" so that no interaction with "real" OS is possible...?

Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

You could take barebones puppy or whatever it's called and add a bootscript that just boots vmware player.

mzucker

#3 Post by mzucker »

Any luck with this? I'm looking at doing this too. Tried to install VMware Player last night, but I ran into problems with the vmwar-install.pl script (finding the right directories in particular).

Any advice?

Thanks!!

jcoder24

#4 Post by jcoder24 »

I've put together something similar using puppy 2.17 and the vmware player packages available here. The final size was 61M but that's w/o a zdrv file --the zdrv will add around 18M.

The only things left to work on were.
1. auto mount found partitions,
2. searching for vmx files and present menu for so you can click start any of the found virtual machines.

I'm hoping that repeating the process with a puppy 3.01 will create a smaller iso.

jcoder24

#5 Post by jcoder24 »

If you are trying to do this in puppy version 3.00 or 3.01 it will fail due to errors with insmod. You get a copy insmod from another puppy version and try again.

dWLkR

#6 Post by dWLkR »

hi there... back again!

so noone interested in this project?

for some of u hardcore-puppy-developers this should be an easy thing to do?! *begging* :)

for making things more clearer i hereby post a new summary (written in another forum) of my wish:
hi!

i´m also searching for a small hostOS like puppy...

to be honest i´m searching for 2 years by now...

i´ve checked out:
- DSL
- puppy
- feather linux

all awesome small and promising lightweight linux distributions with great hw-detection - that could be very well used as a hostOS for hosting VMs (i.e. vmwareplayer, virtualbox)

i´ve asked many guys hanging around in those forums - asking for their help - but... i never received a "good" reply...

seemingly my idea isn´t worth it :/

my idea is having a very very small linux distribution... no apps included BUT vmwareplayer or virtualbox... the result is the already very well working lightweight linux distribution much smaller and so a perfect platform for hosting VMs... [in kiosk mode]

y don´t i do it myself? hm... well quite simple answer here: my linux-skills are very poor...

so annyone here who is able and willing helping me out here?

just imagine the massive possibilities one would have...

just think of the life of an administrator... his life would be come much much easier...
he would be able to create a perfect VM and run it on almost ANY hardware due to the lightweight linux hostOS...

ok... any volunteers? come on... Wink
i now found some promising other ideas - like: http://www.radiproductions.com/DamnSmal ... layer.html

but my linux skills are simply not that good...

so come on now m8s - just do it! :P

jcoder24

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

As mentioned above I've basically created one of these with puppy 2.17 and vmplayer 1.04.

The easiest way to create your own would be to:

1) download fat-free-3.01-xorg.iso from here

2) Install vmware player as indicated here

3) remaster using puppy's built in scripts and burn the new iso to cd.

The other way is to use puppy unleashed which gives more control. If needed I could provide a minimal packages.txt to get you started.