Virus warning from www.puppylinux.com/manuals.htm

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Aitch

#136 Post by Aitch »

@Yellowdog

Sounds similar to my experiences, I'm a long time w98 user, And had similar issues with my box on several occasions
I managed to rescue 2 or 3 crashes, but was accruing a vast stockpile of rescued partfiles as well as saved recovered files that were filed in a folder labelled 'safe', my little joke, as they were farthest from it, but I couldn't find out what was causing it
Eventually I was persuaded to 'graduate' to 2K, though I'd been exploring ShellextensionCity & had tried several shell mods including 1/2 98 & 1/2 ME as a system, still trouble
I was on a wifi link as well, to an AP which I had no control over
I'd tried several linuxes, including debian, red hat, fedora, then a ray of hope, I found Knoppix
It nearly worked, everything except wifi
then after about a year of struggle this little puppy came and made friends with me & I've never looked back
Never did I solve all the rootkit/virus/security update/ IE problems, [still have some old hard drives with winviruses on!!] though I'd ended up with Kaspersky AV which is very good, it just uses 1/2 your PC to keep the gremlins in a box :lol:
I'm retired now, so computing is my only way of staying [almost] in touch with technology, and I have loads of old PCs networked on wired broadband now, as I've just moved into a new playroom/house here in Chatham, UK, though I must change my profile.......

Aitch

PS: Do they still wear orange in Oregon? :lol:

prehistoric

virus scanners, etc.

#137 Post by prehistoric »

Hi yellowdog,

Your experience with repair shops and virus scanners is neither unusual nor extreme. The worst possibility is getting malware installed while looking for solutions. One cute feature of Dancho Danchev's blog is his regular test of up to date virus scanners ability to spot recent malware. Any rating over 50% is great.

Your comment about other sites being hit is on target, another site I have recommended is off the 'net at present.

Added: could title this addition "the Lord is with us". Look who is starting offensive operations in cyberwarfare. Feeling more secure?

Aitch

#138 Post by Aitch »

@prehistoric

You may have missed the chat about the compromising of puppy/servage sites, but your man Dancho Danchev has got the very exploit that's been identified - Iframes

http://ddanchev.blogspot.com/2008/03/em ... rough.html

Perhaps worth someone dropping him a line? To see what can be done?

As to your final comment
Feeling more secure?
Oh yeh, Tonszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Aitch :)