Internet connection-free package management and remastering

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
zygo

Internet connection-free package management and remastering

#1 Post by zygo »

When I tried to remove mozilla from 105 I found I couldn't without an internet connection. Puppy should not need an internet connection to uninstall a package -- during remastering or otherwise. I question if it's necessary for installing.

Such processes should need the internet only if the required data is not available locally. One should be able to discover what files are needed, download and point to them with a local url at the required time. Then at leat the job is done -- albeit with slightly old packages.

The connection may be unavailable for many reasons: goosee losing it's dns (as happened recently) or the current (and only) client machine available at the time not being capable. Recently 2 ISPs stopped connecting me from puppy (104 & 105) but continue to connect me from ms.

I realise that a lot of progress has been made in the last two versions (I forgot how annoying the single locale was) but 106 will be mainly a fixing version so I hope pupget, dotpup (the de facto service pack vehicle) and remastering will not ask for data that I, the user, can't be respected to supply directly.