gxmessage.png

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
GuestToo
Puppy Master

gxmessage.png

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Barry on the Puppy news page wrote:I have placed gaim32.png into /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/, and in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/ gxmessage.xpm is a symlink to mini-happy.xpm
Puppy 1.0.4 used to have a gaim32.png icon, and i used it as the icon for Gaim in Icewm winoptions (Icewm used that icon for the systray icon) ... it is missing in 1.0.5, so the systray icon is more-or-less invisible, though it is still there ... my SP bugfixes dotpup symlinked gaim32.png to gaim.png which i already included in /root/.icewm ... so a quick and easy workaround to the problem

a better fix might be to change winoptions in my icewm package, so it uses gaim.png ... but this way, it also works with older icewm packages

this is a minor bug, and the bugfix (symlink) is only a few bytes

i did the same thing for gxmessage ... gxmessage.png was never a part of Puppy, but gxmessage uses it, and prints error messages in xerrs.txt or in rxvt if it can't find it ... some gxmessage packages include gxmessage.png and some don't ... i modified some of my gxmessage binaries to use an icon that Puppy already has, like bulb24.xpm ... since i was making a bugfix package anyway, i included a symlink for gxmessage.png, because the symlink only takes a few bytes of space ... also, i think i like the smiley-face icon better than the real gxmessage.png icon ... one advantage of having gxmessage.png in the proper place, is that any standard version of gxmessage should use it and not print error messages

however, the standard gxmessage program only looks for /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gxmessage.png ... it will not look anywhere else, and it will not look for an icon with any other name, so there is no point in having an icon called gxmessage.xpm, no matter where you put it

oh, and about symlinking a png file to an xpm file ... unlike Windows, Linux usually doesn't look at the file extension, it looks at the header in the file to decide what kind of file it is ... so the symlink works fine ... a program that does pay attention to file extensions, like rox or maybe mtpaint, would treat an xpm differently from a png

bottom line ... there is no point in putting a gxmessage.xpm file in Puppy ... actually, if gxmessage is not installed by default in Puppy, gxmessage.png probably doesn't need to be there either, because the program that installs gxmessage can also install gxmessage.png

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

however, the standard gxmessage program only looks for /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gxmessage.png ... it will not look anywhere else, and it will not look for an icon with any other name, so there is no point in having an icon called gxmessage.xpm, no matter where you put it

oh, and about symlinking a png file to an xpm file ... unlike Windows, Linux usually doesn't look at the file extension, it looks at the header in the file to decide what kind of file it is ... so the symlink works fine ... a program that does pay attention to file extensions, like rox or maybe mtpaint, would treat an xpm differently from a png

bottom line ... there is no point in putting a gxmessage.xpm file in Puppy ... actually, if gxmessage is not installed by default in Puppy, gxmessage.png probably doesn't need to be there either, because the program that installs gxmessage can also install gxmessage.png
Okay.