I switched to Puppy and now i need help

Booting, installing, newbie
Artie

#16 Post by Artie »

Lobster wrote:
Here is the report I did for HolyGeeks (a religious order I set up to worship hardware)
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report
I really liked your report. I'm a distro junkie and have been trying out dozens of distributions and live cds. At the moment I use SimplyMepis on the hard drive and Puppy running from the cd. In my opinion Mepis is perfect for a newbie who wants to change from Windows with as little hassle as possible. It's the only distribution I managed to install and configure and use without having to spend many hours or days tweaking before getting things to work. On the other hand, I've hardly been using Mepis lately since I got Puppy because I need! to tweak and fiddle and explore and learn new things and Puppy seems to be the perfect environment to do that.

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

Oh, First impressions...

Puppy is designed as a light distribution (that's why it took just a minute to download). The window manager that it comes with is also very light.

You are not going to get the same visual appeal from it as you do with windows. Remember that in my previous post I talked about choices? Well, as you know, choices have tradeoffs.

Linux in general have very light window managers (like JWM, the Puppy default), but also full featured and highly configurable Window managers, like KDE that I can configure way more than I can windows (Semitransparent menus, Pointers that give specific feedback of the application launched, Active icons in the toolbar, etc.)

Light window managers are small and fast.
Full featured window managers are large and slower.

'Not the same' does not mean lesser. There are things that you can do in windows that you won't be able to do in Linux, but there are many more things that you can do in linux that you cannot do in windows. You'll feel that you have more control over the OS.

Sure, you will have to 'unlearn' certain things to get comfortable with Linux. They are not the same OS.

Don't judge Puppy by it's visual appeal compared to Windows. Visual appeal has not been the focus of Puppy. Speed, stability, functionality, versatility have been the main focus of development.

Think about it this way. with a fraction of the resources puppy does most of what you can do in Windows... and then some.

If you ever feel the need to have more eye candy, you can then use a larger linux distribution like Fedora.

If you really really REALLY like tweaking things, you can use Gentoo or even Linux from scratch. You will have a blast tweaking to you heart content. You'll be able to tweak every single detail of your operating system.

If you like eye candy a more end user oriented distribution is Linspire. That one is a comercial distribution. The interface is quite clean, the software repository is quite complete and accessible. They have a LiveCD to do a 'test drive'.

So, there you have it. Options Options Options.

rarsa

#18 Post by rarsa »

Hey! Ask and ya shall receive!

Mark (MU) has prepared a cursors installer so you don't have to suffer with the default!

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

You've just witnessed one of the differences between the linux/Open source comunity and Windows.

Alucard_the_dex

#19 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

^^ thank you very much Kind sir But i must say i think im gonna keep windows as my defualt seeing as to i know so much about it now and am still happily learning but i did enjoy puppy and its simplicity but i need abit of help now

I first started up with Bare Puppy just to get a feel then went and got Mozilla puppy and chubby puppy Chubby didnt work IDK why it jsut said something around the lines could not load into .usr? I switched to mozilla and it worked fine got it online adn everything But now it wont go online for some reason and id like to be able tolearn adn do at the same time

second Um about the eye candy I really no care how flashy it is or not but preferabley in Win XP i set it to clasic mode so is there any themes i can get for puppy thatll mak it look like classic windows>?

MU

#20 Post by MU »

install Fvwm95 with pupget or icewm with Dotpupdownloader.
Also this Themepack for Icewm, it contains Win95/3.1 -Themes:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 6433#16433

Mark

#21 Post by Guest »

^^ thank you

Alucard_the_dex

#22 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

I got it up and running but now firefox wont install macro

MU

#23 Post by MU »

Please some more information..

Which do you use?
Fvwm or Icewm?

Did it happen with JWM too?
What for a macro?

Does it happen too, if you switch back to JWM?

Also look, if you still have free space, type "df -m" in rxvt.

Mark

Alucard_the_dex

#24 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

MU wrote:Please some more information..

Which do you use?
Fvwm or Icewm?

Did it happen with JWM too?
What for a macro?

Does it happen too, if you switch back to JWM?

Also look, if you still have free space, type "df -m" in rxvt.

Mark
I got icewm goin and macro flash player and i need to update firefox idk how tho annnnddd ok ill try

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 70 67 3 96% /
tmpfs 70 67 3 96% /
/dev/hda1 4016 2628 1388 65% /mnt/home
/dev/loop1 248 25 210 11% /root
/dev/loop0 45 45 0 100% /.usr_cram
none 293 70 210 25% /usr
#

MU

#25 Post by MU »

ok, you have 210 MB free, thats sufficient for any update.

I do not use Firefox, so I can't tell you more.

Lets see what the firefoxusers say.

Anyway, give a detailed description, what you want to do, and what you tried.

http:// -Adress of the update, how did you try to install it.

Mark

Alucard_the_dex

#26 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

nah nvm its ok Im figuring things out at the moment

Alucard_the_dex

#27 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

anywho im switching back to Win2k for the day ive had my share of puppeh for now lol

jcagle

#28 Post by jcagle »

Well I hope you get back to checking out Puppy a little more, or just Linux in general. Linux is a great operating system once you really get to know it.

Linux takes some time for some people to get used to. As someone already said, you have to unlearn some things that you learned in Windows. But I think you'll find it to be really good.

I've only been on this board for one week, and I have already found the people here are really helpful, so if you've got internet (which apparently you do) you've got access to help to get you around the OS. There are also Linux user groups you can join, as well as many How-to's on the internet.

Alucard_the_dex

#29 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

CHubby puppy wont work :cry: I got 192 MB of ram too Why wont it work>? it says failed loading into Usr cram or somthin

jcagle

#30 Post by jcagle »

Hope someone can help ya there...I've had no experience with Cubby Puppy

Alucard_the_dex

#31 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Hey how do i prevent having to config my ethernet port every boot>?

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I don't know how to configure an ethernet port period, but if you know how to do it from the command line, you can add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, which is a script that runs after startup. For example, I have mine set up to mount my filesystems and set up my wireless network.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Alucard_the_dex

#33 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

would anoyne mind telling me if this is good mem offa clean fresh pup001 file

# df -m
Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 70 56 14 80% /
tmpfs 70 56 14 80% /
/dev/hda1 4016 3014 1002 75% /mnt/home
/dev/loop1 248 3 232 1% /root
/dev/loop0 45 45 0 100% /.usr_cram
none 293 49 232 17% /usr
#

Alucard_the_dex

#34 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

i wanna make a blank hard drive for puppy on my other computer now but idk which format i shouldmake it nor how

rarsa

#35 Post by rarsa »

/dev/loop1 248 3 232 1% /root
this particular line shows the space in your pup001 file.

you have 248 MB in total from which you have used 3 MB and have 232 MB still available. which means that you are using 1% of the space

I don't know why used + available does not match the Total, I guess that the difference is for the file directory. I haven't been curious enough to investigate.