BuddaPup-215

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyluvr

BuddaPup Beta2b

#16 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello from Puppyluvr :D
Well, burned a little midnight oil, and too many cd`s (lol), but the update is uploaded. :D The url for download is http://puppylinux.ca/members/BuddaPup/
Made sure zdv15.sfs was there, and tested the net thoroughly.(I`m using it to upload
the iso, and send this message)
Included a few more goodies (Audacity, Tux racer, ZSNES). (I might have "accidentally"
included a few roms, look in /usr/local/zsnes/tested roms).. Also included the zsnesGL
stuff in /usr/local if you need it.. Before you run tux racer go to left click/puppy/system/system status and config/3D control center and set up DRM ,DRI and OpenGL for your video card.
Of course these goodies come with a price...Yes, it has the "Out house Sink"...but he`s
a big Puppy...307mb...but if you need it all :D
As I stated above..future releases will be smaller and be 301 based..(or possibly 217)
Could not shut off the default tooltip`s , kill them w/ left click/ tooltip settings..
.........Feedback is Appreciated....
............Puppyluvr..........

:wink: "Close the "Windows", and open your eyes, to a whole new world"

puppyluvr

Removal

#17 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D
BuddaPup-215, High tech for low tech computers..
BuddaPup-217.Enlighten your Desktop.. 8)
Transitions Linux...Enlighten your Dad... :lol:

Thank you....Puppyluvr...
Last edited by puppyluvr on Fri 02 May 2008, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

elraven

buddapup 215

#18 Post by elraven »

it's just me elraven :D
I'm doing this from buddapup . My reaction , baring in mind that i have never seen the elightenment wm is well.. :shock: I'm still staring with a grin on my face . I love the way its laid out and organized . As for proformance , I'm running a Dell Dimension 4100 , 1gig processor , and 384 megs ram ,with a swap file . Buddpup and my computer get along real fine . I've never seen my computer move so fast. 8)

As for the response this pup distro as gotten , well let's say I'm more than ticked off . I'm sorry I haven't gotten around before this to try it out. Alas , I'm a man of many worlds, you know how it goes . I think it would do well out on the net. There has been alot of interest of late in the enlightenment WM. So, to its creator , I plead for him not to give up on this. You put alot of time and love into this. There are people just like me ,out there , looking for such a distro like this. If i found it so will they. :D To the others, please at least try this distro out . Not your cup of tea? Ok, but think a minute . When was the last time you found a distro that did everything and had everything you wanted ? This distro has great value and deserves attention.

Well ,I'm gett'n off my soap box now. I'm going to sit back and enjoy Buddapup . He's found a home with me.
Elraven :D

kevin-isca

#19 Post by kevin-isca »

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to create this enlightenment pup. First time I've experienced such an animated desktop :) Interesting and very tempting to play with. A 3.01 based edition would be great.

I am sorry that there has not been more interest. Do not get disheartened!

Cheerio

puppyluvr

BuddaPup-215

#20 Post by puppyluvr »

Firstly, thanks for the interest in BuddaPup-215..I also find it to be very enjoyable to use,
that said, I realize it might not be some folks cup of tea..(Lobster said it made him sea-sick.)
LOL.. I am not discontinuing my work with Enlightenment, Just this thread..Any Questions
concerning this 215 version can be posted on the 217 thread after they remove this one.
Its just to save forum space, to condense both E-Pups to one thread.. I just felt that since
it had virtually no response, that one thread will suffice..
If you like the 215/E-16 version posted here, you might also like the 217/E-17 version on
the other thread..Once they close this thread any questions/requests can be posted and will be responded to on the BuddaPup-217 thread..
I`m not "putting this Puppy down" or anything, because its too usefull. Lighthouse Puppy
is the most thought-out and best equipped Puppy Ive ever found, and E-16 just put the
icing on the cake. When I need to "get r done" this is the Pup I turn to..
Even after I pull it from Puppylinux.ca, it will still be available by request, and any support
needed will be provided thru the 217 thread.
Also, if you are looking for the "Puppy on steroids" kinda thing, might i recommend the
TeenPup series by John Biles..Less eye candy, but a ton of programs, some of which I
wish I could include in my Pups, and very usefull for the younger users.( both my teens
use it).
Anyhow, thanks for the response, and I hope this Pup serves you as well as he has me

@kevin-isca
Thanks...
A 301 version is in the works, meanwhile, have you tried the 217 version??

@elraven
Thank you..
Yes, I find Enlightenment to be as fast as Jwm or IceWm on my machines, and love
the eye candy...Plus, it doesnt require high end graphics to run like Compiz/Beryl..

.....Thanks again...Puppyluvr............... :D

WhoDo

Re: BuddaPup-215

#21 Post by WhoDo »

puppyluvr wrote:...I find Enlightenment to be as fast as Jwm or IceWm on my machines, and love the eye candy...Plus, it doesnt require high end graphics to run like Compiz/Beryl.
This is an important point to note, and may explain why many users haven't tried BuddaPup. I too like the eye-candy, as my adventures with IceWM should indicate, but I always thought that Enlightenment would require a much better graphics setup than I have in my older HP Compaq nc6220 laptop. :shock:

It wouldn't hurt to have a list of hardware minimum specs at the start of your thread(s), so the rest of us don't make obviously incorrect assumptions about the 3.01-based E17 puppy, too. Just a thought. :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

steevieb

#22 Post by steevieb »

Downloading at the moment - its going to be 3 hours even on broadband though. (25.7kb/sec)
I have a similar speed computer as in your screenshot, so looking forward to trying this out. I am suprised I can run Enlightenment at all, on this old machine.

Caneri

#23 Post by Caneri »

Hi puppyluvr,

Hey relax...Please do not remove your work from my server and don't worry about the lack of response. It's your first try...the next can be better...who knows how these things work..I don't

Alas I haven't tried it yet but my focus is to offer space for projects just like yours..so take heart.....the space here at .ca is available for you to use and spread the knowledge.

Stay onboard and grow..that's the whole point here at .ca

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

puppyluvr

#24 Post by puppyluvr »

@steevieb
Yes, pretty much, if your machine will run Puppy, it will run Enlightenment..In fact, BuddaPup-215 IS Lighthouse beta5, with a few extra goodies, so it should be familiar
to you, once you adjust to the menus. It should run fine w/128mb ram, in fact Ive run it w/92mb before. BuddaPup-217 on the other hand probably needs 256mb, but Ive never tested it on 128mb, so who knows..(probably have to turn off the flames tho.. :D )
But as far as Video goes, Enlightenment requires nothing special to run. Ive even run BuddaPup-215 in Windows/Qemu, in XVESA!!!
Good luck, I hope you enjoy, and keep me posted, anyone who tries them, on the minimum
system requirements you run it on, so I can share the info here.. Thanhs..Puppyluvr..

@Caneri,
OK, well I was just concerned about space, dont want to "overstay my welcome"...
Thanks Eric, you dont know how much this does for us and for Puppy in general to be able to share our "work" and the things we learn from it..

@ Well, OK folks, you read it, I`ll leave it up for now. Any problems, please PM or post to me here, and we will solve them...Oh, and I highly recommend upgrading to Ttuuxxx`s
Firefox+Flash+Java..Its Awesome!!!!! .His Opera too...In fact, if Ttuuxxx made it, get it... :D

BuddaPup..Enlighten your desktop..
Transitions Linux...enlighten your Dad...

"Close the "Windows", and open your eyes, to a whole new world"
Last edited by puppyluvr on Fri 30 May 2008, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

MU

#25 Post by MU »

Puppyluvr,

if I was not so busy with Muppy, I had tried your puplet, especially because I really like Enlightenment.
And on machines with low Ram, Puppy 2 based pupplets run faster than thos based on Puppy 3.

Please note, that a lackof response does not automatically mean, that there is no interest.
This thread has already over 2500 pageviews, that is quite good :)
If you look at threads like those for Muppy, you will see, that 90% of the messages deal with bugs.
There are usually only few just "positive" messages.
You just start to know suddenly, that your puplet is popular, when you see other threads, like:
----------------------------
How to use this and that in Firefox?
System: Special-Customized Puplet version xyz

----------------------------

And sometimes by download-statistics.
Puppyisos.org is deactivated for the last week of april, as there were 1600 views for Muppy in one week. That reached the rest of the traffic left for this month. (So we use a new root-server now for the newest release).
But statistics are usually not available :?

Concerning webspace:
Space is cheap, just traffic is expensive.
On current hosts, you have 10-100 times more place, than you could use, because of the traffic the downloads would create.
So if an iso would just sit around there, waiting to be downloaded, it would be no problem, as Eric already stated.

Keep up your good work, please :P

Time to sleep, see you again here soon...
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

steevieb

#26 Post by steevieb »

Runs as fast as jwm and slightly faster than icewm even with windows and menus everywhere.
Btw , I have 1280mb ram, 128mb is the video ram.
I had a strange crash with it. The ps/2 mouse changed to an X and was confined within xmms - I could move normally until it got to an edge and it would not go any further. Had to Ctrl+Alt B/space, restarted with xwin starte16 (eventually) and now ok.
I renamed the pup_215.sfs but forgot aboout zdrv_215.sfs and devx_215.sfs - I think it may be using devx_215.sfs as some of the links do not work. I think I will try the 2.17 BuddaPup as I have not used any 2.17 version before and it should be less confusing all round.
My wireless Cypress Sem PS2/USB Browser Combo Mouse is working now though, through usb port, which it hasn't done for months. I have a choice of 2 mice now.

puppyluvr

#27 Post by puppyluvr »

@ Since i have discovered that there are a few users of this Puppy, I will continue support for it indefinitely. I find it has everything (and more) i need,
and E-16 is strong and stable, at least on this one.
However, the E-16 mantle will be passed on to BuddaPup 3.01. Same look
new engine under the hood. Probably not as much "the Out house sink", this Pup and Transitions take care of that need for me.

Thanks,
Jay

Colonel Panic

#28 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've tried BuddhaPup 2.17 and like the look of it, but sadly I couldn't get my dialup modem to work with it. :(

So I've gone back to "vanilla" Puppy and Lighthouse Pup.

puppyluvr

#29 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,

@Colonel Panic,
Then you should try the 215 Lighthouse based E-16 Buddapup, it will prob. work with your modem.. :D But it doesnt look like the 217 (E-17) version.
The look of 217 is continued in Serenity (Buddapup Dingo), but IDK about dial-up as I have not used it in Puppy. However, the 4.xx series of Puppy seems to do everything else well, so I hope that would apply to dial-up as well.
Actually, I like the old (E-16) interface, but thats just me. The 217 Buddapup just wasnt as stable as the Dingo version, or the Lighthouse version, IDK why... But Serenity is my main desktop now, and E-17 seems much more stable on it. If you like the E-17 look, Id tru it.. :D
I have a planned update of Serenity coming, if I can ever be "satisfied" with it..So much cool stuff keeps coming out... :D
@ I havent forgot E-16, (the original subject of this topic, (Buddapup 215)), and am working on a new E-16 Pup as well, and had it all ready, but when I remastered it, it "automatically" included a Gnome SFS I had on the partition, and messed it ALL UP!! Also, I built it from Unleashed, (my first), so I want to test it a lot more, to be sure everything works.
I put up a screenshot on the "My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours" thread, before the Gnome disaster.

Thanks for trying Buddapup, and if you continue to seek Enlightenment, I recommend Serenity.....

Colonel Panic

#30 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the info, I may do. I generally find that GKDial works with my modem because it allows me to input my DNS settings, which WVDial doesn't and my ISP seems to need.

Puppy Serenity sounds good too :)

Colonel Panic

#31 Post by Colonel Panic »

Quick update; I copied both the Gkdial binary and its /usr/share library from Lighthouse to a directory on my hard drive, and then into my BuddaPup when I'd booted it up. It worked and I now have dialup working in Budda, from which I'm posting.

Thanks for a fine effort.

puppyluvr

#32 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Thats great to hear, have fun!! :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Colonel Panic

#33 Post by Colonel Panic »

I am, thanks :) Just one thing though; I haven't found Firefox 2.0.0.11 to be very stable and this has been confirmed on other sites I've browsed, so I think it's a good idea to let it update to the latest version, 2.0.0.17 at present.

puppyluvr

#34 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I recommend this one...A bit big, but works well for me, Flash and Java..

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/pr ... irefox.pet

......Jay.........

Colonel Panic

#35 Post by Colonel Panic »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 21 Oct 2008, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.