Do you still use Windows sometimes? And why?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Cust0dian

#196 Post by Cust0dian »

WinXP on PC, only because of Adobe products needed for work.

Apart from that — Puppy for inner calmness and OpenSuse for Ruby/Python dzen. :)

Colonel Panic

#197 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; at the moment I'm managing without Windows, since all the things I need to do in Windows I can do using Wine running in Puppy or Absolute :)

I don't think Wine is yet at a stage where it's a full replacement for Windows though, though I'd love to be proved wrong (there used to be a version of Slax called "Kill Bill," which was apparently based on this very concept).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 24 Jul 2012, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

stu90

#198 Post by stu90 »

Nope - no windows install here nor do i use wine for any windows software.

yarddog

#199 Post by yarddog »

I have windows 98 on one computer that I use for recording music.
Program is Easy CD Creator 4 that has features that I really like.
This is used only couple of times a year, otherwise, all my work is on Linux.

yarddog

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

#200 Post by mickee »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
mickee wrote:(Have to sync my BlackBerry on it and my Zune).
If all you want to do is sync the Berry, I do that with Barry in Puppy. To do more with the Berry such as install apps from the desktop, you still need Windows. I'm using Barry-0.16-i486 in Wary 500.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 910#514910

Thanks, Bernie
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

IronRocker69

I use Windows XP Pro and Puppy Linux 5.1.0 (Frugal Install)

#201 Post by IronRocker69 »

I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 and Puppy 5.1.0 (Frugal install.Which In my opinion is a awesome feature of Puppy Linux....I boot from CD-Rom) On an Dell Dimension 4600 With a Pentium 4 (Northwood Core) 2.4 GHz Processor (533 Front Side Bus Speed) 768MB (DDR 3200 RAM.) Nvida Geforce 4MX (NV18) Video card (64MB Video RAM) Compaq DVD Rom and a Cyber Home DVD/CD-RW A Seagate (5400 RPM ) 40GB (My boot drive) hard drive and a Western Digital (7200 RPM)100GB (My data storage drive) Hard drive. (Yes this is a really old computer)

I use Puppy about 90% of the time now but I use Windows XP for games CD burning.(Nero 5.5 is awesome) mainly though for Managing My NTFS formatted Hard drives (defragmentation of data storage disks.etc.) I mainly Use Puppy for internet (It is safe and very fast) I some times use Gimp, AbiWord, (I don't like always switching from OS to OS Rebooting in to ether Puppy Linux or Windows XP is not fun..who likes looking at a booting PC.That they could be using.Right?) So I have come to the conclusion (Much to the dismay of the "Fans boys" :roll: ) that Windows, Mac OS and Linux all have a place on the PC desktop (Depends on what you are running (Software wise. In the case of Mac computers Hardware wise) And what you want that computer to do. On a final note Thank to the Puppy developers and programers for such an awesome distribution of Linux (I didn't like the way Lupup 5.11 ran And I didn't like the new Interface on 5.2 or 5.2.5 ..But hey ya can't please us all all the time right?) So I am happy running good old 5.1.0 (Just like I am happy running good ol' Windows XP Both Operating Systems run really great on this old PC :D )

cthisbear

#202 Post by cthisbear »

" Windows, Mac OS and Linux all have a place on the PC desktop "

IronRocker69....welcome to Puppy.

Nothing wrong with your views.
Enjoy Puppy....and ah! ... use Windows.
Tell your friends about Puppy..

My Windows tips are here...plenty of info...,help.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58305

Chris.

jamescv31

#203 Post by jamescv31 »

Yes I'm still using Windows, especially in some schoolworks which need application like Microsoft Office.

rjbrewer

#204 Post by rjbrewer »

Have Xp installed, but just use it for bios or firmware upgrades on
used hardware I pickup.
For example; picked up 2 used wireless routers which work great as
access points. Total investment: $3.00

I have slipstreamed sp3 cds for testing and repair purposes.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Bligh

#205 Post by Bligh »

I use win98 and xp for printing and scanning. I have never installed a scanner or a camera in linux.
Cheers

sunburnt

#206 Post by sunburnt »

Daughter bought a new HTC cell phone with Win. OS on it cause it does Office.
Turns out the Android ( Linux ) phones have apps. that do Office type files too!
And lots of apps. for the Android phones are free, Win. Phone apps. cost $$$.

She`s decided it`s slow, and the Win. OS runs the battery down in 1 day!
So we`re going back to the T-Mobile store to find her a different phone...

crshbndct

#207 Post by crshbndct »

nah...
i tried win7 a couple days ago and i been using ubuntu for a bit but win7 woudlnt install and ubuntu was just like puppy only slower

although i need to find out how clean up my launcher menu in puppy

log out is in accesories for goodness sake

edit: i just set up my mums new laptop with linux mint on it and she doesnt even know the difference

nooby

#208 Post by nooby »

I dislike Ms Windows very much. To say I hate it would make the word hate too abused or something . So dislike very much will do for now.

Here is latest reason one still need Ms on one computer at least.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/nodal/

Sadly it is only a demo that last 30 days. And only Ms and Apple works.
them say. Check this text.
What is Nodal?

Nodal is generative software for composing music, interactive real-time improvisation, and a musical tool for experimentation and fun. Nodal uses a new method for creating and exploring musical patterns, probably unlike anything you've used before. You can play sounds using Nodal's built-in synthesiser or any MIDI compatible hardware or software instrument.

Nodal is based around the concept of a user-defined network. The network consists of nodes (musical events) and edges (connections between events). You interactively define the network, which is then automatically traversed by any number of virtual players. Players play their instruments according to the notes specified in each node. The time taken to travel from one node to another is based on the length of the edges that connect the nodes. Nodal allows you to create complex, changing sequences using just a few simple elements. Its unique visual representation allows you to edit and interact with the music generating system as the composition plays.

Nodal is compatible with DAW software such as Ableton Live, Logic Studio, Digital Performer and Garage Band. It can transmit and receive MIDI sync. You can edit a network using the mouse and keyboard, and optionally a MIDI keyboard. Nodal recognises and sends notes, sync, continuous controller and pitch bend information.
would be cool to have that working in Puppy or in linux at all. Does it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sansriraj

USE OF WINDOWS XP FOR RUNNING MS-EXCEL MACROS

#209 Post by sansriraj »

To all Learned Members,

Although I have migrated to Puppy Linux in my home PC three years ago, I have been compelled to use Window XP in office to run worksheets containing Excel Macros as I failed to find any way in Puppy Linux through which I can use those Excel-Macro enabled worksheets. Is the learned members of the Board aware of any method or application with the help of which such Macro-enabled worksheets could be run in Puppy Linux.

With warm personal regards,Season's Greetings and a Happy and Prosperous 2012 to all the members of the Board. :) :lol:

Jasper

#210 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

It looks as though there may be some hope you may win using Wine, perhaps depending on your version of Microsoft Office and assuming that any Excel macros work. See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59241

I have read that some alternative spreadsheets cannot effect excel macros and I have never read of any that specifically states it can effect excel macros.

Depending upon how many and how complex the macros are, perhaps you could load your excel spreadsheet(s) into say, gnumeric and then rewrite the macros as necessary.

I don't have Excel so I cannot help directly. You could try your own google search or PM a contributor to the linked thread above.

My regards

01micko

#211 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

I'm starting an IT course in late January so I am going to be forced to use windows... that scares me more than my transition to Linux 10 years ago! :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

linuxbear

#212 Post by linuxbear »

01micko wrote:Hi all,

I'm starting an IT course in late January so I am going to be forced to use windows... that scares me more than my transition to Linux 10 years ago! :roll:
There is usually more money in Linux/Unix support.

linuxbear

#213 Post by linuxbear »

Games, dbpoweramp and a glucose monitoring ap. keeps me on gatesware about 20% of the time

sansriraj

#214 Post by sansriraj »

Dear Jasper,

Many thanks for the valuable time spend by you in going through and replying to my query. I had successfully installed Office 2000 in my home PC running on Puppy Linux 4.2.12 (An old P-III computer system) with Wine 1.1.14. Word, PowerPoint and Access works. Excel also works but when it comes to worksheetscongaing Excel Macro , nothing happens when a macro is executed.The Excel sheets are quite complex as they used to calculate Indian Income Tax. Further, they are prepared and uploaded on their website by Indian Income Tax Department and as such it is not possible for me to ascertain the macros contained in it. Being a computer programming illiterate, any question of rewriting them does not arise. I have tried almost all the known worksheets programme in Linux but has failed to find a solution. It is because Excel uses MS Basic as its macro language but worksheets software available for Linux uses some other programming language which fails to execute those MS-Excel macros. Hence the problem.Anyway, thanks for replying to my query

Jasper

#215 Post by Jasper »

Hi sansriraj.

ITR-1 Excel Utility R7 344 KB
ITR-1 PDF Utility 1.1 119 KB
ITR-2 Excel Utility R10 1454 KB

Are any of the above what you want to use?

If not can you please provide the references of the others you need?

Is your most urgent interest currently in 2010/11 or 2011/12?

I would be happy to download and spend a few hours during the coming Christmas holiday to see if I can suggest anything.

Alternatively, if you will be paid for your work from home is it worth investigating the installation of Windows (to complement Puppy ) and MS Office 2007?

My regards