Do you still use Windows sometimes? And why?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
01micko

#211 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

I'm starting an IT course in late January so I am going to be forced to use windows... that scares me more than my transition to Linux 10 years ago! :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

linuxbear

#212 Post by linuxbear »

01micko wrote:Hi all,

I'm starting an IT course in late January so I am going to be forced to use windows... that scares me more than my transition to Linux 10 years ago! :roll:
There is usually more money in Linux/Unix support.

linuxbear

#213 Post by linuxbear »

Games, dbpoweramp and a glucose monitoring ap. keeps me on gatesware about 20% of the time

sansriraj

#214 Post by sansriraj »

Dear Jasper,

Many thanks for the valuable time spend by you in going through and replying to my query. I had successfully installed Office 2000 in my home PC running on Puppy Linux 4.2.12 (An old P-III computer system) with Wine 1.1.14. Word, PowerPoint and Access works. Excel also works but when it comes to worksheetscongaing Excel Macro , nothing happens when a macro is executed.The Excel sheets are quite complex as they used to calculate Indian Income Tax. Further, they are prepared and uploaded on their website by Indian Income Tax Department and as such it is not possible for me to ascertain the macros contained in it. Being a computer programming illiterate, any question of rewriting them does not arise. I have tried almost all the known worksheets programme in Linux but has failed to find a solution. It is because Excel uses MS Basic as its macro language but worksheets software available for Linux uses some other programming language which fails to execute those MS-Excel macros. Hence the problem.Anyway, thanks for replying to my query

Jasper

#215 Post by Jasper »

Hi sansriraj.

ITR-1 Excel Utility R7 344 KB
ITR-1 PDF Utility 1.1 119 KB
ITR-2 Excel Utility R10 1454 KB

Are any of the above what you want to use?

If not can you please provide the references of the others you need?

Is your most urgent interest currently in 2010/11 or 2011/12?

I would be happy to download and spend a few hours during the coming Christmas holiday to see if I can suggest anything.

Alternatively, if you will be paid for your work from home is it worth investigating the installation of Windows (to complement Puppy ) and MS Office 2007?

My regards

sickgut

#216 Post by sickgut »

it took me 2 months to completely move from windows xp to linux.
Now its been a few years and i dont use windows for anything and i have even moved from the usual windows games to the free linux ones and i am no less stimulated playing free linux games as i was using windows ones that i had to pay for.

The only time i will use windows is if i have a lan party and play other windows based games. I have a win7 laptop and i never use the win7 bit of it.

Unless im playing games on a special occasion with others that play non free windows games, i will never use windows,

This to my has been an upgrade. I spend 0 money on software now and i can simply do more things with my computer much easier than when i was running windows.

Only in recent years has linux actually been good enought to be a gaming platform and do everything else windows can do, but for many years its been far superior for internet stuff and office stuff and server stuff.

vovchik

#217 Post by vovchik »

Dear sickgut,

For one, thanks for what you are doing. For another, I only tend to use one app in Windows under wine to do what I do a lot, is composing music. That app is Overture, and it works fine under Wine. I also like musescore, but I am not so adept at using it at the present, but it is a matter of getting used to it.

With kind regards,
vovchik

sickgut

#218 Post by sickgut »

vovchik wrote:Dear sickgut,

For one, thanks for what you are doing. For another, I only tend to use one app in Windows under wine to do what I do a lot, is composing music. That app is Overture, and it works fine under Wine. I also like musescore, but I am not so adept at using it at the present, but it is a matter of getting used to it.

With kind regards,
vovchik
i use flstudio in wine. only the demo version as is it fully featured except for saving your flstudio data type of file, but you can still save as wav!!! so i just save everything i do as high quality wave files and when i reload then in another project there isnt even any noticable loss is quality when i chop and change things or make a new track.
There is some menu text corruption but its well worth using still.

I use dosemu to run all my old dos stuff. I used to use dosbox but performance was an issue, dosemu runs everything as fast as your PC usually runs but has intelligent timers for older programs so it dosnt run 1000x faster than it should..

sansriraj

#219 Post by sansriraj »

Dear Jasper,

Many thanks for your kind offer of looking into the correctly identified utilities by you.

I am not at all mean enough to request you to waste your Christmas vacations in modifying these files.

Further, these utilities are redundant as on date as ITR returns for current Assessment Year has already been filed and similar utilities for next Assessment Year is yet to be released by Income Tax Directorate.

Additionally, my interest is not at all limited to running only these utilities but want to know,whether there exists a way in Puppy Linux, where worksheets containing MS-Visual Basic macros can be run .

With warm personal regards and beleted Christmas and Happy 2012.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#220 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I reboot into Windows every time I want to play Call of Duty or Minecraft.

Other than that, I'm running Puppy 80% of the time and Ubuntu 20% of the time.

(Yes, I know Minecraft supposedly works on Linux, but I have a Radeon HD 4350, and I haven't gotten it working on any Linux distro... I can't unpause the game on Puppy, and I get one frame every 5 seconds on Ubuntu...)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84349][img]http://i.imgur.com/Zw6vryI.png[/img][color=#3B6EA3][b][size=200] Version 27. Dotpet. Click here.[/size]
(SFS available too!)[/b][/color][/url]

Monsie

#221 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I still rely on Windows each April to complete the family Tax Returns. There are good freeware programs available now, but none have been written for Linux based operating systems that I know of. Note: I have never tried to run such software in Wine. Someday, I may choose to e-file (complete the Return on-line) in which case I will be able to do so regardless of operating system, but I must admit I am a bit hesitant, perhaps needlessly so, but... I feel more in control in terms of being able to work with and save my data on my computer.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Tote

#222 Post by Tote »

I haven't used it since I discovered Puppy Linux.

I bought a second-hand laptop recently that came with Windows 7. I didn't particularly want 7, I wanted the laptop. So I thought I'd dual-boot for a while, then I went into setting up 7. It looked like an nice OS, everything worked, click-click, ooh that's pretty, etc.

Then, it was recommended to install virus scan software. I clicked okay, and was watching the process, anti-phishing, anti-malware, anti-virus updates, and I had a vision of the future where I'd be compelled to update all of that every other day just to try and stay safe in-line.

Just watching it all install was enough to bring me to my senses. No thank you. I cancelled, deleted Windows, partitioned the hard drive and now I'm running three or four Pups and loving it.

I didn't need Windows for any particular task. It's the same with Puppy. I just browse, e-mail, music, photos. Light user. I don't even need a specific Puppy version, they'll all more or less do whatever I need, but with Pup I don't need all the anti-virus software and if I totally wreck anything I just delete and start over.

I can't imagine ever being tempted back to Windows.

musher0

#223 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Tote.

Very convincing. Exactly how I feel. :)

You didn't mention that Windows is so much of a slowpoke : 2 min 45 sec. to boot into Windows, whereas to boot into Puppy it's 30 seconds or so.

I think that your testimony above should be on the first page of puppylinux.org and puppylinux.com, at the very top.

Have a great day! :)

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rokytnji

#224 Post by rokytnji »

Sigh

Code: Select all

harry@biker ~ $ cd /home/harry/Isos
harry@biker ~/Isos $ ls
android4.0rc2eeepc  AntiX  Slimpup  TinyCore  Windows
$ cd Windows
harry@biker ~/Isos/Windows $ ls
3.1 rar            Dos document.odt  Windows 3.1
95-floppy-windows  MS-DOS-6.22       Windows for Workgroups 3.11
harry@biker ~/Isos/Windows/95-floppy-windows/Win95Floppy $ cd Win95Floppy
harry@biker ~/Isos/Windows/95-floppy-windows/Win95Floppy/Win95Floppy $ ls
DISK10.IMA  DISK12.IMA  DISK1.IMA  DISK3.IMA  DISK5.IMA  DISK7.IMA  DISK9.IMA
DISK11.IMA  DISK13.IMA  DISK2.IMA  DISK4.IMA  DISK6.IMA  DISK8.IMA  SETUP.IMA
It is the only thing I can get on floppy that installs and boots to a gui on a http://oi44.tinypic.com/1t3fk7.jpg
P66hz, 12MB ram, MA401 pcmcia 16bit Netgear wireless B card. No cdrom . 1992 Kapok/Nan-Tan color screen netbook. Uses a 16bit pmcia dialup modem card with a phone line jack also.

Then. I need my Windows 7 laptop for
http://www.mastertune.net/harleydavidson.htm

for stuff like
http://oi40.tinypic.com/ju8gwm.jpg

Linux is just starting to get into automotive, but just for cars. Us bikers are the red headed step child I guess.
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/event ... ummit-fall

On the ancient netbook. Checking out ebay lately. My netbook might actually be worth something now for collectors of old computer gear. Mine is in tip top shape and the battery still holds a charge (weighs about 5 pounds.) 8)

Any Gaming. I do doom in dosbox.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee ... post925657

starhawk

#225 Post by starhawk »

Hey roky -- I have a copy of a thing called XWOAF -- XWindows On A Floppy. It *might* work on that Stone Age laptop of yours ;) PM me and I can send you the disk image. It's in *.img format -- hope you know how to dd on a modern box, because I sure as heck don't! Alternately, hop over to the DOS prompt (you could still do that from '95 without a reboot, right? It's been a while, lol...) and use the Internet and RAWRITE. I can send you both RAWRITE (for DOS) and XWOAF, that's not a problem.

Tote

#226 Post by Tote »

musher0 wrote:Hi, Tote.

Very convincing. Exactly how I feel. :)

You didn't mention that Windows is so much of a slowpoke : 2 min 45 sec. to boot into Windows, whereas to boot into Puppy it's 30 seconds or so.

I think that your testimony above should be on the first page of puppylinux.org and puppylinux.com, at the very top.

Have a great day! :)

musher0
:D Yeah, I also didn't mention Internet Explorer and sitting watching that little blue gizmo spinning endlessly round and round waiting for it to load a page. All the while mentally comparing it with how fast puppy is. No comparison.

mikeslr

Tax Software, Movie Maker and Cut Assistant

#227 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

While I could do my taxes online and email the forms, a slight case of paranoia compels me to do them off-line and use the Postal Service. AfAIK there is no tax software that runs under any version of Linux.
For a quick movie production nothing beats XP's Movie Maker. It's ability to split scenes on-the-fly with just one click, re-arranging the parts you want and discarding what you don't is much faster than having to set the beginning and ends of scenes to be split. But even better is Cut Assistant which works with VirtualDub. VirtualDub will run under Wine, but Cut Assistant won't. Cut Assistant enables you to scroll thru your entire movie, slow down to as little as frame by frame at critical points, mark each part to be included (or excluded) and produce an output movie in one run. Not fancy, artistic video, just plain, uncluttered reportage.

mikesLr