Do you still use Windows sometimes? And why?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Aitch

#46 Post by Aitch »

@rarsa
If I had LotusNotes for Linux
Can't you adapt this?

http://www.nsftools.com/NL7/

IBM put it out in July 06, for REHL
the new Lotus Notes for Linux client is available for download to anyone with a current Lotus Notes entitlement.
I don't know if you can supply the necessaries?

Just a thought

Aitch

jonyo

#47 Post by jonyo »

rarsa wrote: If I had LotusNotes for Linux, my usage of Windows at home would be even more infrequent as I just run windows when I need to check my company's mail.
Not sure what you mean? Can't say I've heard or know much about lotus notes?

sojourner

#48 Post by sojourner »

Love the elegance and quickness of Puppy, but still use Windows for Quicken and Microsoft Reader. Microsoft Reader is loaded on my laptop and my IPAQ pda. Allows me to carry numerous books from Project Gutenberg that I have created using Reader Works (win) software.

Wolf Pup

#49 Post by Wolf Pup »

Have to use windows at the college, needed for mathxl, cant get internet explorer running in wine. :(
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

MU

#50 Post by MU »

Wolf Pup wrote:Have to use windows at the college, needed for mathxl, cant get internet explorer running in wine. :(
ies uses an own version of wine, it can be installed beside wine:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16246

Maybe that helps :)
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

maddox

#51 Post by maddox »

My brother uses pro applications that only run under win2k/xp ... dongle-crypt keys.
so he can't change to puppy/muppy for serious pro apps...
but for casual work, it's ok...

Printer / Scanner / Web-Cam support is still a big PAIN with linux ... when will the guys ever learn.. +- user friendly !

New tech gadgets are not supported, big companies don't/can't see the emerging foothold profit factor ..
- Create a project-team, deliver linux drivers, feedback , update the drivers

- free linux drivers entice people to buy the product .....
small starting investement (for big corps) -> gpl driver team + updates = corp market-share + corp-profit...
equals a happy Puppy user, as their new gadget works....

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#52 Post by urban soul »

I am a great fan of Windoze. And I am a great fan of MAC OS X.. And I am a great fan of PUPPY of course... so let me explain:

These are different fruit and are not comparable. Being an audio professional and dsp programmer I can tell that XP is perfect for multitracking. A small kernel with built-in grafics support - what do you want more ? Networking ? Sorry, not here. As a result Sequoia, Max/MSP, creamware DSP cards all run under XP. I really like XP as much as I hate Mikrosoft. My XP has never seen the internet.

OSX is my writing host for Latex and the alike. Also Supercollider3 and PureData is there and some IRCAM stuff. I am just exploring networking on Darwin. Darwin will be my replacement for a full HD install. And it seems to be well documented. However it is a piece of psyware IMHO. Yes psyware is also good, spyware is what I wanted to type.

*nix have a problem with GUI building and stability. (Darwin addresses this issue. ) For the end-user it is a horror to split every application up into a gui part and a server part. For the programmer it is superior, of course. One possibility to increase bandwidth between kernel and xserver is to make the kernel a small one. Most apps do not need this bandwidth.

Most of the time I run Puppy anyways... it's just too much fun. (And it doesn't spy on me).

rarsa

#53 Post by rarsa »

Aitch wrote:Can't you adapt this?

http://www.nsftools.com/NL7/
Thank you, I knew IBM had released it but at that time (2006) I didn't find the downloads and I assumed I would have to get it through my company (fat chance).

I'll try and report.

Reporting back. Cannot get the download.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

hage1

#54 Post by hage1 »

I have to use Windows XP Tablet at school as we use notebooks as a replacement for white- and blackboards to do the handwriting.

And as long as I have not been able to run Linux in "tabletpc-mode" on my HP 4200 (no touchscreen) I need windows.

Any help to overcome that is very welcome.

Aitch

#55 Post by Aitch »

benali72

I run my business on Linux

#56 Post by benali72 »

I'm an independent computer consultant and have used Linux 99% of the time for my business for the past several years.

The one reason I still need one copy of Windows around is to test compatibility to ensure my products will be viewed properly by my clients who use Windows.

Example-- when my work product is a document, I typically must deliver this in MS Word format. So I do the whole thing in OO Writer, but when I'm done, it's wise to open it one time in Word to ensure all the formatting will be viewed correctly by my client.

Example-- I maintain several websites using Linux, but when I'm done, I need to view them how my clients do to verify formatting etc -- this means looking at them one time in IE, since most clients use Windows w/IE to view the websites.

The linuxes I use are Puppy (fast and light) and Ubuntu (most mainstream). Also I run Oracle under Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) for DBA work.

haley1

#57 Post by haley1 »

I still use it for military IMT forms, I could use wine but it's easier to just use windows for this as updates only work in IE. Also for my tablet as I can't find a linux replacement yet, that I can get to work anyway, also I use it to sync and add programs to my Palm TX. I'm waiting for Ubuntu Mobile to see it I can replace it on my tablet, fingers crossed :) I'm using puppy on a thumb drive for my Fujitsu U 810 tablet when I don't need the writing function. If only I could use the touch screen and handwritting windows would be gone.

philsiarri

#58 Post by philsiarri »

I still use XP for music production. However, I'm considering using a Linux distro such Musix or S64 in the future.

xandas

#59 Post by xandas »

I use Windows each day to draw with Intellicad.
The rest of the time I use Puppy 4beta2. It is a great little thing. A pleasure.

puppyluvr

#60 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D

@philsiarri
Yes, Musix is cool, I use it too, but be sure you get the English version or else its in
Spanish and hard to use..LOL

@Xandas,
Have you tried Teenpup? It has CAD programs built in.

cartz

#61 Post by cartz »

sojourner wrote:Love the elegance and quickness of Puppy, but still use Windows for Quicken and Microsoft Reader. Microsoft Reader is loaded on my laptop and my IPAQ pda. Allows me to carry numerous books from Project Gutenberg that I have created using Reader Works (win) software.
You can batch convert the Microsoft Reader formatted books using a free windows utility at:
http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html

There are many formats you'd be able to convert them to that would have readers available both in linux and on the IPAQ.

cartz

#62 Post by cartz »

I'm new to Puppy and loving it and could probably ditch Windows altogether if it was just me.

But my son needs the best possible chess analysis programs (Chessbase and Fritz) and the linux equivalents (even if I could get them working in Puppy) wouldn't be good enough.

My daughter uses Photoshop and Illustrator for her artwork and Cubase for her music. I know there are substitutes for these but unless all 3 could be replaced with the same functionality and ease of use there is no way she'll drop windows. On top of that our scanner is not supported in linux so it's pointless anyway for her. Although on the plus side I have got her using the windows version of Abiword.

So, for now, it seems to be mainly a 'hobby' for me. Maybe one day we'll get there.

I must say though that reading this thread has taken some of the 'pressure' that I'd put on myself trying to convert us over totally to puppy - I can see that most other people are in a similar boat.

Cheers,

cartz.

Turpin

#63 Post by Turpin »

Aye, Windows is still the main OS.
In order of importance to me:
1. I have three sound cards and need recording/playback (for workstation monitoring, phoneline monitoring, recording skype calls, and desktop video captures).
2. Games.
3. excellent support for the Hauppauge WinTV (the one without hardware encoding)

If number 1 were fixed, I'd use Puppy as my primary and boot into Windows just for certain games (such as Elder Scrolls: Oblivion). The TV card I can live without for now.

Meshica7

#64 Post by Meshica7 »

Only at work to do my time entry and that's about it.

At home it's:

OS X Tiger on an old PowerMac G3.I run Pro Tools for music.

Teen Pup 2008 on a Dell Inspiron 1100.This was given to me by a friend and I quickly stripped it of Windows XP.I tried several flavors of Linux before arriving at Puppy.It simply works!The screen is dead (hence "free") so I have it hooked up to a Hitachi CM615.If anyone knows of where I can get a cheap screen for this laptop let me know!.

OS X Panther on an i-Mac G3 (original Bondi Blue).My wife's for checking Yankee scores!

System 7 on a Macintosh Plus all in one.

And soon to come a Mac Book Pro dual booting OS X Leopard and Puppy Linux.

I have not had a need to run Windows at home.Been on Apple since before the Mac emerged (about 1982-83).

As you can tell from my TeenPup 2008 screenshot,I am pretty much a Mac guy :P

Juan
Last edited by Meshica7 on Fri 09 May 2008, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

Windows

#65 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D

Yes, sometimes I still do, but then my Windows looks like this.. :D