File types went nutty after I tried Xfce .pet

Booting, installing, newbie
sketchman

File types went nutty after I tried Xfce .pet

#1 Post by sketchman »

I just installed Xfce4.4.2 from a .pet that I found on this board.

Not only did it not work, but after I uninstalled it and went back to IceWM, my Puppy has lost its mind. EVERY single file type except scripts are shown and loaded as plain text. I don't know what to do. Anybody got a clue?
Attachments
temp.jpg
(191.11 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

So when you click them it launches the text editor? Then it sounds like your mimetypes got deleted. You should be able to copy them back (if you use anything but full-hd install) by going to /initrd/pup_ro2/root/Choices/MIME-types/ and copying those files into /root/Choices/MIME-types/. You might also have to do that with /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/mime/ and /usr/share/mime/.

I think that should fix it. You might need to reboot first.

If you have a full-hd install, you'll need to get a pup_xxx.sfs file for the version you used and mount that, then copy /root/Choices/MIME-types/ and /usr/share/mime/ from it. In Puppy 3.xx it should be pretty easy; just click the .iso file, then click the pup_xxx.sfs file inside. Then click them again in reverse order when you're finished. Otherwise, something like this would work:

Code: Select all

mount puppy.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop
mount /mnt/cdrom/pup_xxx.sfs /mnt/data -o loop
rox /mnt/data

umount /mnt/data
umount /mnt/cdrom
(use the correct filenames though)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

sketchman

#3 Post by sketchman »

Yup, Geany loads and nothing else.

I suspected the mimetypes too at first. But, they are still there and in order. I read through them all, and they are right.

EDIT: Woops. Was too hasty. Didn't see the other locations mimetypes were located. Checking again.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmm... Well, I have no idea what it did then. Look in /root/.packages/ to see if there's still an xfce4.4.2.files file in there (the name will be a little different, depending on what the .pet itself was named). If you find it, open it up and look through the files. That file will list all the files that the package installed. When uninstalling, all those files are simply deleted. If they overwrote any important files, those important files are gone now (like the "this .dll file may be shared" messages when uninstalling things in Windows). So see if there's anything in there that looks important, and if there is, look in /initrd/pup_ro2/ or the pup_xxx.sfs file to see if there was an original you could put back.

If you don't find a .files file, download the original .pet again. Run these commands on it to extract it without installing:

pet2tgz xfce.pet
tar xf xfce.tar.gz
Now just look through the xfce directory that it will have created. Also, if there are pinstall.sh or puninstall.sh scripts at the root of that directory, read through them too to see if they did anything fishy.

Good luck :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

sketchman

#5 Post by sketchman »

:D You were right the first time.

I didn't know about /usr/share/mime. The only place I checked was in /root/choices/xx. I copied the mimetypes from my laptop, and now almost everything is back to normal.

Thanks.