3.01; CUPS; 403 forbidden error;

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
puppyuser007

3.01; CUPS; 403 forbidden error;

#1 Post by puppyuser007 »

Used the printer wizard to open CUPS which correctly identified the 2 printers on my Ubuntu server. Can print a test page fine - from CUPS. However:

1. I can't change anything (eg attempting to change the default printer - and doing other things - gets a "403: Forbidden" error)
2. Most apps, apart from Seamonkey, are unaware of the printers which CUPS has found.

I get a sense from browsing the forums that this is a known problem, but I can't find it definitively summarised anywhere. Seems odd; printing is so fundamental I would have expected it to simply work.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help would be most welcome.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

another jamesbond!
Yes, CUPS seems to be fairly broken in Puppy 3.x, but I'm not certain of the details of dealing with that error. If you want a Puppy with a working CUPS out of the box, I think you get 2.17.1, otherwise I think the best thing to do is probably to install the (large!) CUPS dotpup. (or maybe use the .pet from 2.17?).

puppyuser007

#3 Post by puppyuser007 »

disciple wrote:CUPS seems to be fairly broken in Puppy 3.x
So it would seem. Strange, I'm not getting the opportunity to log in - but others are. Then again I'm presumably logged in to localhost where this CUPS is running - but in that case why the 403 error?

Ah well, perhaps 4.x series will fix it all. Thanks for the words of sympathy at least!