Sound stops dial tone

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
gwcrux

Sound stops dial tone

#1 Post by gwcrux »

I've recently started using Puppy 3.01 but there was no sound. The ALSA sound wizard couldn't find any drivers so I looked in these forums and discovered that 'snd-trident' should work. I did 'modprobe snd-trident' in Console and then ALSA did the rest. However, I am no longer able to connect to the internet - ' no dialling tone' - but the modem is recognised. Explanations and solutions will be greatly appreciated.
System info: elderly pc with AMD Duron - 256MB RAM - SiS7018 soundcard - onboard I suspect - ?SiS730 chipset.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

gwcrux,

it <pun coming> sounds like there's some sort of driver conflict. If you undo what you did, to get sound working and, hopefully the modem working, and enter lsmod, to list what modules are being loaded.

Then retrace your steps to get the sound working, & again run lsmod, is there any module that was being loaded, that now isn't?

gwcrux

#3 Post by gwcrux »

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can't do the comparison you suggest as I renamed my personal pup_save file so that I could start again and as the dialup was then working I deleted that file -- unfortunately still no sound of course.
I'm very new to this so still trying to find my way around.
I did lsmod on my present setup. It listed 32 items but none seemed related to sound drivers - except perhaps 'soundcore'. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
Anyway - I appreciate your help.