USB Wifi box how-to for puppy??

Booting, installing, newbie
robertltux

USB Wifi box how-to for puppy??

#1 Post by robertltux »

just throwing a few rawhide bits around to hear the barking

I have a Linksys UBS -> WifiB box that im using with mandriva
(atmel chipset now works since the driver uses a seperate firmware image)
but i would like to get it to work with Puppy (since that means i can take it on fix-it runs) any suggestions?

(i do have the full mandriva install to grab files out of and im going to test
with my copy of VMWARE 4.5)

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

USB wireless devices based on the ATMEL chipset worked well up to Puppy 1.01 using the "Berlios" drivers. Well, mine did, anyway. It is a Netcomm NP7042, VendorID/ProductID 0x03eb:0x7605.
The ATMEL support modules in 1.02 appear to be broken. The problem is being reported in the Bugs section.
It may be worth trying the older modules with the new kernel, or you may be able to transport modules from another distro. I have not tried that yet, but plan to do so in the next few days.
You can check which specific module from Berlios supports your device by going to http://at76c503a.berlios.de/devices.html. If your device is not listed, check the vendor/product ID by plugging it in and using usbview under Puppy, it may be listed under another maker.

Hope that helps to get you started. Woof!

#3 Post by Guest »

As I rather suspected, the ATMEL modules used with Puppy <= 1.0.1 do not work with 1.0.2 and the 2.6 kernel. So we may have to look elsewhere for suitable modules or wait for a fix - perhaps in 1.0.3.

Hold the rawhide for the time being.

#4 Post by Guest »

Just a thought, check the ndiswrapper wikki and have a look to see if your usb adapter is supported. This maybe a work around.