koolie

#16 Post by koolie »

To answer an earlier question,
iptables is not installed by default.
There is a basic /etc/firewall.conf.

cthisbear

#17 Post by cthisbear »

" To answer an earlier question "

Thanks koolie....also Pizzasgood from another post.

Chris.

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Furthermore, 'poweroff' actually powers OFF!

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

:) You did indeed Sage.

I am in Slitaz now and it is very similar to early Puppys
BUT because of various advances (kernel and software) it is a lot better
in many respects. We can I feel recommend this for machines with 16MB of Ram?

It autorecognized my network and connected Firefox ready to the net.
Does it work with wifi too I wonder?
It is also using Xorg (as an option) and feels very familiar. Many of the programs we know from Puppy are there. MtPaint, Geany, Osmo, FIrefox.
The UK keyboard works and the record facility seems to be doing something, so sound is working.

Do I prefer this to DSL (Damn Small Linux is twice the size)
I do. Do I prefer it to Austrumi? I do.

Do I prefer it to Puppy? Probably not but that requires time to answer and it deserves some . . .

Time to play with SliTaz. Tres Bon. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

muggins

#21 Post by muggins »

Mr Sage,

thank you for this thread as it's brought me back to my senses! I don't know what possessed me, but I had a temporary flirtation with bloatware. I installed emacs & eclipse, compiled QT4, and was then looking for something worthwhile to compile with QT4 and I compiled some app, then I'm looking at the size of library files I'd need to include...until i saw the <pun>light</pun>!

KJ

#22 Post by KJ »

@ Lobster .... SliTaz doesn't recognize any of my PCI (2) or USB (3) wireless units so I can not use it to surf as I only connect to a local 'hot spot'. I do like some of the features .... shadow and fade in JWM are great..... I haven't noticed that yet in Puppy.

KJ

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Would you Adam & Eve it?! It could only come from the USA. Here is a guy who is complaining that his wireless link doesn't work on a 25Mb liveCD distro. He does like the optional but entirely unnecessary shading feature. Excuse me, I'll probably stop laughing in a while.

koolie

#24 Post by koolie »

LOL

But it doesnt have OpenOffice, Adobe Reader, or Java either. :D

Seriously, 'tho, if you take out Firefox(BonEcho), you are left with what.. 20MB or less?
What a brilliant little distro.

And what a fabulous name.
"Simply Light Incredible Temporary Autonomous Zone".
10/10 for the name.

However, I dont think I will dump Puppy any time soon.

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

you are left with what.. 20MB or less
One of the reviews was suggesting ~15Mb. Wonder how it would look with one of Opera's mini offerings?! Recompile in assembler and it might even fit on a 1.2Mb floppy - remember those?

koolie

#26 Post by koolie »

Indeed I do.

Barry has (or had) an OS on his site that would fit on one of those.
Or was it one of those BIG diskettes... a 1.4?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

SliTaz doesn't recognize any of my PCI (2) or USB (3) wireless units so I can not use it to surf
Understood. I think this is a superb piece of work nonetheless. Most of my efforts are based around a browser. It makes me very independent as the web2 services are free for now (they won't be for ever)

We need a motherboard with an embedded OS, we are getting ever closer. The eeepc is now putting the OS on SD cards. Asus are setting a precedent that may evolve into a standard.

Putting the PC in hardware has many advantages and few disadvantages. The wrath of MS used to be like a wreath . . . however they do not have many friends and hardware manufacturers are starting to rebel. Just wait till China releases (something or other)

:oops: slipped into rant mode again :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#28 Post by Sage »

Putting the PC in hardware
You mean Firmware.
Of course, it always was - at least, twenty five years ago. Object-oriented coding has killed the entire field and made our students lazy.
What the f*** are they teaching in IT courses these days? It may require a massive effort for an individual to write in assembler, but what are those teams of 100+ smoking?
The templates were all established in 8-bit, so the burden isn't exactly one of starting with a blank page.

KJ

#29 Post by KJ »

@ Sage .... or should it be Gunnery Sargent .... Sir!

In these forums, you are basically a bully and not much more. Your rudeness is NOT excusable ... not ever.

My wireless comments were in response to a question by Lobster .... not yourself.

SliTaz 1.0 on the other hand, appears to be thoughtfully assembled and worth watching.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

KJ

cthisbear

#30 Post by cthisbear »

" In these forums, you are basically a bully and not much more. "

///////////////////////
Yeah! But otherwise " I likes the boy."

" At the Australian Logies Awards in 1979, Bert Newton introduced Muhammad Ali.
While joking around with the boxer, Bert said,
“I like the boy

Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

Thanks for your support, Chris. So far, I haven't read 'Teach Yourself Brain Surgery'. But when I find time, I'll be offering humour transplants. Not identifying my primary target nations, but I expect to be a $mnaire quite soon....

wiak

Re: Avec panache: SliTaz

#32 Post by wiak »

Sage wrote:25Mb. If they can do it, with Firefox & co., why can't everybody else?!
http://www.slitaz.org/en/
Sounds like a dream come true this one. Even their package management system sounds like Debian's apt-get, which I've recently used and already love.

I have downloaded SliTaz yet, though even my slow dialup can handle that. I have immediately registered on their forum though (http://forum.slitaz.org/). Feedback and support is what keeps any project development going. We all know how important the murga forum is for puppy, so hopefully everyone will join SliTaz's forum and start contributing to that too. Its not competition to Puppy so much as competition to bloatware. Now to download it and find out how to create packages for it.

muggins

#33 Post by muggins »

Its not competition to Puppy so much as competition to bloatware
Definitely. I regularly check dsl to see if they've got any new, tiny, apps etc. So I'm quite keen to see how Slitaz evolves. By the way, our host, JM, has released a new murgaLua, v0.6.6.

I wonder whether there are any lua scipts, worthwhile adapting to puppy, here:

http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/DSL_Tools

vg1

#34 Post by vg1 »

installation was easy
It will also run from a frugal install. Only two files are needed, the whole system is in rootfs.gz. Here is my grub menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title SliTaz1.0 frugal
kernel (hd0,0)/linux/slitaz/bzimage rw root=/dev/null screen=1024x786x24 home=hda1 lang=en kmap=en vga=791
# sound=noconf - boots faster but disables the sound
initrd (hd0,0)/linux/slitaz/rootfs.gz
This is from subdir [ie two level deep]. User's conf is saved on home part if specified [hda1 above] . It creates a dir [hacker] on root of home.

The browser works fine, I am writing this from Bon Echo frugal setup as above. It will also play mp3s in alsa player, but not other formats. I guess additional codecs are needed for that.
I use it often now when all I need is 'net browsing and listening to mp3s.

Although much smaller than puppy, it takes longer to boot. On my pc about twice as long, depending on the puppy version:

p4 1.7 [oc'd to 1950] 768 ram
seconds, grub to desktop:
w98 [lean] - 18
p214R - 22
dingo - 24
p301 - 28
wxp [lean] - 35
lhp, teenpup - 40-50
slitaz - 50
nimblex, slax, woolvix - abt 60

It's fun to play with, but no real competition to puppy.

Sage

#35 Post by Sage »

Although much smaller than puppy, it takes longer to boot.

Lightning fast from an HD full installation. Did you try it? It can also work from USB - there is some discussion on their Forum.
no real competition to puppy.
Well, maybe there's plenty of room for both? When I installed a load of packages, there wasn't much more needed - and barely scraping the 50Mb barrier. It's ability in expanded form probably meets the requirements of 75% PC users?
Interest here has been stronger than expected. For years, I've been urging folk to follow the example John set with MeanPup ~50Mb. Less is the way to go, especially if the future lies in embedded code a la Back to the Future of 8-bit computing! One can pander to the whims of allcomers forever as more and more bizarre old minority use kit, as well as new HW, turns up. Probably such requests would be better accommodated by a well-written, comprehensive exposition on package sources, how to compile them and how to deal with troublesome dependency issues. That is to say, such a reference manual directed at each individual distro and regularly updated as single issues emerge? And written with complete novices in mind.