hplip and hpliplite packages

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
hugoto

#106 Post by hugoto »

I have Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 on my computer, which has CUPS 1.4.2
Now I would like to install my HP Deskjet F2420, but the hplip-website says that it requires Minimum HPLIP version 3.9.10

Is there any hpliplite-pet which supports my printer and lucid? :)

rcrsn51

#107 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't know how well lluamco's packages have been tested in Lupu. But the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet from here does work in Lupu-501 and has a driver for the Deskjet f2400 series.

You won't need the foomatic-filters patch.

lluamco

#108 Post by lluamco »

Quirky and lucid puppy can use dynamic packages.They can be found in the thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 468#439468

Frank Cox

HP 1215 Color Laser jet

#109 Post by Frank Cox »

Is there a puppy distro that this printer will work from out of the box? It would have taken me less time to build a new pup than I have spent on this driver.
Bruno has a driver for it but the only plugin I had was from the link on the first page of this thread and it says the printer is installed but nothing happens when you try to print a test page.

If not there is a foomatic driver here http://pastebin.com/TnkZ7kEH that has to be compiled which I think I can do if I can fine the .icm files it asks for but I do not have a high speed connection where the printer is. Can I compile the driver on the flash drive that boots that puppy without the printer attached?

TIA

disciple

#110 Post by disciple »

Please make it easy for people to help you - if there is critical information (the printer model) in your post subject, repeat it in the post body. And tell us all the critical information (the driver for that printer is foo2hp) instead of making us follow links or search at openprinting to find it.
Is there a puppy distro that this printer will work from out of the box?
I don't know whether there is a puppy that includes foo2hp. There have been foo2hp packages posted to the forum... but I'm not sure exactly how installing ICM profiles relates to the build process.
I do know that getweb is a shell script - if you look in it you can see how it gets the ICM profile and what it does with it.
It would have taken me less time to build a new pup than I have spent on this driver.
What have you spent all that time doing?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#111 Post by disciple »

Can I compile the driver on the flash drive that boots that puppy without the printer attached?
I can't say for sure, but I imagine so.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

The HP Color Laserjet CP1215 is supported by the foo2xxx package. Read here.

edoc

Re: HP 1215 Color Laser jet

#113 Post by edoc »

Frank Cox wrote:Is there a puppy distro that this printer will work from out of the box? It would have taken me less time to build a new pup than I have spent on this driver.
Bruno has a driver for it but the only plugin I had was from the link on the first page of this thread and it says the printer is installed but nothing happens when you try to print a test page.

If not there is a foomatic driver here http://pastebin.com/TnkZ7kEH that has to be compiled which I think I can do if I can fine the .icm files it asks for but I do not have a high speed connection where the printer is. Can I compile the driver on the flash drive that boots that puppy without the printer attached?

TIA
The HP 2015 has a firmware problem and once it fails it is a worthless doorstop. If you check the HP Forum you will see many complaints. HP has no interest in making it right for owners.

CUPS is a highly-vulnerable app, no one seems to really know it completely as there are many posts on the Internet where a specific driver, or all drivers, simply stop working and no solution is found. CUPS seems to have many dependencies and no error-checking/flagging to document what has been changed external to CUPS -- causing CUPS to fail. It is an amazing app - but like anything that complex it can be very frustrating. Sometimes removing CUPS and reloading has worked, sometimes upgrading CUPS works, sometimes not. Generally, using a different version of Puppy works (because it's a fresh load of CUPS and all dependencies) ... until something breaks CUPS again. Sigh.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

rcrsn51

#114 Post by rcrsn51 »

The HP 2015
Why are we now discussing the HP 2015? That model doesn't even exist. (There is an HP P2015.) The model in question is the HP CP1215. That model is well supported by the third-party foo2hp driver.

Regarding the robustness of CUPS: that issue has been discussed elsewhere. It's now well understood that installing some un-vetted Debian packages into Puppy can alter ownership/permissions of the Puppy filesystem, causing CUPS to fail. This is absolutely not the fault of CUPS. In fact, it's an indication that CUPS is protecting your system from a perceived security breach.

Frank Cox

Re: HP 1215 Color Laser jet

#115 Post by Frank Cox »

TIA[/quote]

The HP 2015 has a firmware problem and once it fails it is a worthless doorstop. If you check the HP Forum you will see many complaints. HP has no interest in making it right for owners.

CUPS is a highly-vulnerable app, no one seems to really know it completely as there are many posts on the Internet where a specific driver, or all drivers, simply stop working and no solution is found. CUPS seems to have many dependencies and no error-checking/flagging to document what has been changed external to CUPS -- causing CUPS to fail. It is an amazing app - but like anything that complex it can be very frustrating. Sometimes removing CUPS and reloading has worked, sometimes upgrading CUPS works, sometimes not. Generally, using a different version of Puppy works (because it's a fresh load of CUPS and all dependencies) ... until something breaks CUPS again. Sigh.[/quote]

Thanks for replying
Even if it is depressing

Frank Cox

Going in cirles

#116 Post by Frank Cox »

It would have taken me less time to build a new pup than I have spent on this driver.
What have you spent all that time doing?[/quote]

I have installed a foo script I found on the forum and several from the first page of this thread and copied lots of different pupsave files to destroy trying to get this to work. Then there's is the dozens of reboots.

I found a driver in Bruno pup for the 1215 and I tried using the plugins linked to from this thread but no luck .The time was spent most of all reading everything I could find on the HP site as well as here.
And having people tell me to RTFM which I have, over and over and over.

Thanks for replying

disciple

#117 Post by disciple »

rcrsn51 wrote:The HP Color Laserjet CP1215 is supported by the foo2xxx package. Read here.
Some HP models like the Laserjet 1000 series require additional components. They are best installed using the foo2xxx driver. The applicable models are listed here. You have two choices:

1. Patriot's original version is here. See Item #13. This package is now out of date, but it contains all the ICM files for colour printers.

2. An updated package is attached below. It is much smaller because the ICM data has been removed. If you need those files, post a message. It also has a simpler firmware-download mechanism than the original. Please provide feedback.
So you tried both these options from the thread rcrsn51 linked to?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Frank Cox

#118 Post by Frank Cox »

rcrsn51 wrote:The HP Color Laserjet CP1215 is supported by the foo2xxx package. Read here.
I have read the page 3 times and followed the links but none of the foo drivers were for the 1215

I had already tried that page but I went over it again anyway.

http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

There is no foo2hp there I can find.

Thanks anyway

Frank Cox

#119 Post by Frank Cox »

So you tried both these options from the thread rcrsn51 linked to?
No but they say they list the printers they work on and the 1215 is not among them. The foo2hp is supposed to work but I cannot compile it as I do not understand where you get the icm files .

disciple

#120 Post by disciple »

No but they say they list the printers they work on and the 1215 is not among them.
I don't have a clue what list you're referring to now.
foo2hp is included in the foo2xxx package. That's how the package is 11 MB - it includes all the foo2whatever drivers.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rcrsn51

#121 Post by rcrsn51 »

Or you could do the easy thing. Scroll down the page and download the foo2xxx_rcrsn-2011.03.16.pet.

Frank Cox

#122 Post by Frank Cox »

disciple wrote:
No but they say they list the printers they work on and the 1215 is not among them.
I don't have a clue what list you're referring to now.
foo2hp is included in the foo2xxx package. That's how the package is 11 MB - it includes all the foo2whatever drivers.

I went to the link you provide, a link I had already found. This is what I found there:

"They are best installed using the foo2xxx driver. The applicable models are listed here."

When I clicked that link I got this:

From http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

foo2zjs: a linux printer driver for ZjStream protocol
e.g. Minolta magicolor 2200/2300/2430 DL,
HP LaserJet 1018/1020/1022/P2035,
HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw,
HP LaserJet Pro P1102/P1102w/P1566/P1606dn

That is it, no 1215.

There were 2 links :

. Patriot's original version is here. See Item #13. This package is now out of date, but it contains all the ICM files for colour printers.

Note it does not say laser printers, I do not know if it makes a difference but it should say that unless this advice is for people who need no advice, just a link.

13. foo2xxx_r220909-0.0 (zjs/xqx/slx/oak/hp/xxx) package (11MB) (Printer List)
foo2zjs: a linux printer driver for ZjStream protocol
e.g. Minolta magicolor 2200/2300/2430 DL,
HP LaserJet 1018/1020/1022/P2035,
HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw,
HP LaserJet Pro P1102/P1102w/P1566/P1606dn
[download]
Description:
Contains full foo2xxx package (Sep 2009) with hplj-firmware-autoloading.
This preliminary driver package have been verified to be working
by x_XP on hp-1020 (thank you).
(Note: Provided for your convenience)

Obviously we are not communicating, if the driver is for the 1215 how would I know? I can try it again but it says what it says.

Thank you for your time

rcrsn51

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

Frank Cox wrote:Obviously we are not communicating, if the driver is for the 1215 how would I know? I can try it again but it says what it says.
No kidding. If you scroll down to the second screen at http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/, it says
HP Color Laserjet CP1215 supported by my foo2hp driver
Both Patriot, disciple and I know for a fact that the foo2xxx PET contains a driver for the CP1215. That's why we are recommending it to you.

If, in fact, you installed the smaller foo2xxx_rcrsn-2011.03.16.pet and it didn't work because the ICM data is missing, simply post a request and I will supply it. Like I said here.

Frank Cox

#124 Post by Frank Cox »

No kidding. If you scroll down to the second screen at http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/, it says
HP Color Laserjet CP1215 supported by my foo2hp driver
Both Patriot, disciple and I know for a fact that the foo2xxx PET contains a driver for the CP1215. That's why we are recommending it to you.
I have said I understood you told me to use the driver and it would work and told you I would try it again and as soon as I can get access to the machine I will.
But here is what it says , as you just said:

These printers are not supported by this driver:

Unsupported Printers

HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Supported by my foo2hp driver

No where have I seen a pet named foo2hp, the driver you said to install is number 13 on Patriots page which links to the same page you provided a link to that says it won't work. Forgive me but that seems a bit confusing to me. Maybe you could just put a note there that the package contains the foo2hp? I know you are busy but I think it would confuse anyone who did not already know.

If, in fact, you installed the smaller foo2xxx_rcrsn-2011.03.16.pet and it didn't work because the ICM data is missing, simply post a request and I will supply it. Like I said here.
I don't know why it did not work. I supplied a link to the driver -foo2hp- that I was going to try and compile when I found out where to get the icm files. Here is the link again :

http://pastebin.com/TnkZ7kEH

I would much rather use on of your pets , should the smaller one work as is?
Maybe I had the wrong cups 1.39 ? Do i have to ditch 431?

Thanks

rcrsn51

#125 Post by rcrsn51 »

Maybe I had the wrong cups 1.39 ? Do i have to ditch 431?
Puppy 4.3.1 doesn't have CUPS 1.3.9 - it has 1.1.23. In any case, the package I recommended came from the page titled "How to Install your printer in Lupu/Quirky/Wary." It does not apply to 4.3.1 and does not work there.

However, Patriot's original foo2xxx package does appear to work in 4.3.1. It has been confirmed to work with your printer by other users.