Old Dog Machines that like PUPPY...

Booting, installing, newbie
aahhaaa

Old Dog Machines that like PUPPY...

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

PUPPY's tiny size makes it perfect for otherwise obsolete machines. They are everywhere, from free to a few bucks.

I was given an old Monorail 400Mhz PII with a 2G HD. I tried a number of LiveCD distros on it; none of them got as far as a working desktop.

Except PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I hope people will use this thread to list their machine models- eMachines, Aptivas, especially older laptops... if Puppy installs faultlessly.
This'd be such a help to the hapless newbie! :wink:

Alucard_the_dex

#2 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

My comps made from hawked old parts i got a old gateway board with a 400Mhz P2 and 320 ram with a 1.2gig HD idk the brand and it works pretty good i havent had any probs so far (will update if i do) if anything hawking parts from multiple computers always = greatness as long as all the parts meet the same specs my comps 100% free from friends of mine XD

aahhaaa

#3 Post by aahhaaa »

Compaq Presario 1700 notebook: flawless load.

On exit, Kernel panic, including flashing power lites. Panic held in memory during normal press-release-press off/on reboot.
Holding down Main Power button for 2 seconds ended that prob! :wink:

Alucard_the_dex

#4 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

IBM 350PII 192 ram works decently with mozilla puppy

peppyy

#5 Post by peppyy »

I just ordered, (Won at auction on e-bay) another ThinkPad 600e to turn into another PupTop. Sold one already.

I use a ThinkPad 770z every day, Puppy 1.0.3 and refuse to part with it.

I am typing this on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with 1.0.4 xfree86.

All are pII 366mhz and put a lot of new laptops to shame with wireless speed and very low power consumption, (runs in ram) :)
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Emission

#6 Post by Emission »

I just got a Dell Latitude D800 a while ago, Pentium M 1.6GHz (ok, so its not as old as the other guys, but...), 512MB of PC2100 RAM......did I mention it was free? It was part of the broken laptops pile but all it needs is a new hdd, everything else is intacted and in excellent condition. After id found out about this setback, I looked around for a small live-boot linux distro, and puppy looked really user friendly and not to mention downright small!. So, I booted the dog up and it runs great. I was originally thinking of just moving back to windows when I get the replacement hdd, but hell, puppy is so cool! I even got the built in wireless on my laptop to work with it. This dog might just be a keeper :) Did I mention I also installed it on my gaming machine? Yea! I love it that much!

1ColdBeer

#7 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,
peppyy wrote:I just ordered, (Won at auction on e-bay) another ThinkPad 600e to turn into another PupTop. Sold one already.
I use a ThinkPad 770z every day, Puppy 1.0.3 and refuse to part with it.
All are pII 366mhz and put a lot of new laptops to shame with wireless speed and very low power consumption, (runs in ram) :)
Does the sound work on the Thinkpads with Puppy? I think it's time for me to put together a nice old laptop to knock around and demo linux.

Thanks

OzzyBB

Puppy works here, too!

#8 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello All.

So far, I've tried Puppy in these two machines:

Olidata brand
Processor: AMD 1250 Mhz
RAM: 256 MB
HD: 40 GB
Liteon CD-RW
Lucent LT Winmodem
Win XP and SuSE Linux partitions

Hp Vectra brand
Processor: PII-450 MHz
RAM: 128 MB
HD: 10 GB
CD-ROM
3Com network card
Win 98 and SuSE Linux partitions

In the first one, it runs so fast and smooth, except I'm having problems with the dialup connection. I got it to make the phone call, only I need it to do the handshaking right.

In the second one, it's running silent. Got to make the time to figure out how to get it to read the Aztech audio circuitry included in the HP's mainboard.

metro1000

Dell

#9 Post by metro1000 »

Dell Optiplex G1, P2-266, onboard networking fine ,added soundcard and ISA modem use 128Mb to do HD install then drop to 64Mb-fine.
use boot2pup to do 1st time boot.

Jaxx

#10 Post by Jaxx »

do you think that puppy work in a AMD K5 266 Mhz with 96 MB RAM.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

yes
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

peppyy

#12 Post by peppyy »

Does the sound work on the Thinkpads with Puppy? I think it's time for me to put together a nice old laptop to knock around and demo linux.
All 3 have working sound. Can't live without my streaming audio.
Each has a different setup to get the sound working, search the board or see the working laptop list in the wiki.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

1ColdBeer

#13 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,
peppyy wrote: All 3 have working sound. Can't live without my streaming audio.
Each has a different setup to get the sound working, search the board or see the working laptop list in the wiki.
That's great to know..... I had a friend list my toshiba with Mepislite on eBAY tues., so i should have a thinkpad (770z) for puppy soon.

Thanks..... :D

metro1000

K5-266 Yes!

#14 Post by metro1000 »

jaxx
[do you think that puppy work in a AMD K5 266 Mhz with 96 MB RAM.]

Answer, yes almost certainly but you will need at least 128Mb Ram to get it running 1st time. If you then do a type 2 hardrive install you will be able to drop back to 96Mb. For the record I've tried as low as 24Mb and it works but does not give much headroom and I reckon 48Mb is as low as you can really go if puppy is to be obedient.
Joe[/quote]

Jaxx

L

#15 Post by Jaxx »

Thanks for the answer.

But, do you think that the AMD 266 Mhz with 96 Mb Ram would do a good Internet Machine?

Will it run decent? (i'm not asking speed of a Pentium 3 or 4 :-P) but at least for storing photos, surfing the internet, email, IM. Simple home tasks.

will it have a good performance with Puppy?.

metro1000

#16 Post by metro1000 »

Jaxx,
I use mine for all basic office tasks at work, and some internet use, so yes it would be fine. I would suggest installing the "bare bones" version and then adding in packages to your liking, the full blown Open Office fat puppy would be a bit much for it,I think. If you don't have/need broadband then you will find an old 56k ISA modem is a better bet than fiddling with drivers for a winmodem.
I find another advantage is that these old machines are much quieter in the office.
As regards performance you will find it outperforms the equivalent hardware running Win95/98, probably due to the better integration of the included packages.

Joe

rarsa

Re: K5-266 Yes!

#17 Post by rarsa »

jaxx wrote:do you think that puppy work in a AMD K5 266 Mhz with 96 MB RAM.
Certainly, no reservations. It will work nicelly. It's almost a rolls royce compared to other computers I've seen running puppy. The best way for you to confirm it is to burn the CD and try it.
metro1000 wrote:Answer, yes almost certainly but you will need at least 128Mb Ram to get it running 1st time.
Huh??? I've ran the LiveCD in a 32 MB computer (With a swap partition)
metro1000 wrote:For the record I've tried as low as 24Mb and it works but does not give much headroom and I reckon 48Mb is as low as you can really go if puppy is to be obedient.
Joe
As I said up there, with 32 MB it wasn't snappy, but it was responsive. As responsive as that kind of computer can be. You can actually work on it without swearing.

seldomseen

#18 Post by seldomseen »

Having a swap partition makes a HUGE difference; like the difference between working and not working. I added one on my old beat-up former doorstop IBM Aptiva, all 48MB of it (having DamnSmall Linux doing the dirty work), and Puppy runs very well on that.

aahhaaa

#19 Post by aahhaaa »

Add a VIA EPIA M10000 to the 'it works!' list... :P Runs like a rocket!

ps I gave PUPPY to a local computer repair guy; running live from CD, with about 2 minutes experience, he was able to see into the Winders HD partitions. He smiled a bunch!

1ColdBeer

#20 Post by 1ColdBeer »

Hi,
1ColdBeer wrote: tues., i should have a thinkpad (770z) for puppy soon.
Thanks..... :D
I bought 1 Thinkpad A21e on eBay and it came today. Loaded Puppy 1.0.5 and i'm listening to a shoutcast stream as i type this.

I made a little 512 swap to go with 256 meg. ram and it zips along just fine. Just a tweek or 2 for the wireless and it's done.

Puppy runs great on it! Very Happy..... :D

EDIT: Out with the d-link in with the Orinoco classic gold (2wire) and the wifi works straight away..... :D
Last edited by 1ColdBeer on Tue 01 Nov 2005, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.