I'm getting Windows fonts???

Using applications, configuring, problems
jcagle

I'm getting Windows fonts???

#1 Post by jcagle »

I just downloaded and installed Inkscape for Linux. I want to know how the heck it's reading the fonts that I installed in Windows... I haven't even done anything in Linux to tell it the fonts were there. But the fonts I'm finding when using Inkscape are the ones I have installed in Windows.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Um, yes, well, I did something for 1.0.5, never told anybody.

Look at /root/.fonts

...where does it point to?

Puppy creates this automatically if it finds windows fonts on /mnt/home.

It seems like a harmless and useful thing to do.

jcagle

#3 Post by jcagle »

That's totally awesome. I love Linux, but one thing I had problems with in the past with in Linux was fonts.

I'm really getting hooked on Puppy Linux. :D

Alucard_the_dex

#4 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

I dont have windows on my hard drive is there a way to simulate it>? liek copy the windows font folder to the hd>?
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

yes, just copy the files in C:\windows\fonts\ to /root/.fonts

if there is no .fonts folder, create it first ... it's a hidden folder, so you have to click the Show/Hide Hidden Files button at the top of the Rox window to see hidden files/folders

or you can download Windows fonts and put them in /root/.fonts
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

Alucard_the_dex

#6 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

now when i was on windows the more fonts the slower the boot is that the same with puppy>?
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:Um, yes, well, I did something for 1.0.5, never told anybody.

Look at /root/.fonts

Actually, I think it was GuestToo who suggested this originally, the idea
of pointing /root/.fonts to /mnt/home, perhaps not the idea of doing it
automatically.

gliezl

#8 Post by gliezl »

Wow! so guys, if i have verdana.ttf file and copy it to the /root/.fonts, I can use that to customized my desktop with those fonts, right?
Thanks for this info.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

you can use it in programs like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Leafpad, Abiword, Open Office

you possibly can not use ttf fonts in the default Rox

you can use ttf fonts with the newer Rox versions

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

i thought of making an fonts wizard to find and install/uninstall fonts on /mnt/home ... i thought it might not be a good idea to install automatically, because i have heard that X can crash if certain ttf fonts are installed ... maybe that problem has be fixed with newer versions of X libraries

mclien

#11 Post by mclien »

@Barry, GuestToo and all the others doing this things.
If someone of you ever wants to visit Germany I'll promise you to be wellcome in my Home at any time!

wetware.interrupt

#12 Post by wetware.interrupt »

BarryK wrote:Um, yes, well, I did something for 1.0.5, never told anybody.

Look at /root/.fonts

IMHO, it could be more useful. The exact code in question looks only for a dir named /mnt/home/windows/fonts and that will fail on a "normal" Windwoes installation a high percentage of the time, since XP and similar NT-lineage OS's don't have N:\windows (where N is often C), but instead have N:\winnt ...

That's in /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local0 as I have it on GrafPup 103 or 102 (sorry I don't know which it is - forgot to label the cdrom! :oops:

I respectfully suggest that the following code would be more widely applicable:

Code: Select all

#v1.0.5
#good idea from GuestToo... and wetware.interrupt
if [ ! -e /root/.fonts ];then
 if [ -d /mnt/home/windows/fonts ];then
    ln -s /mnt/home/windows/fonts /root/.fonts
 else if [ -d /mnt/home/winnt/fonts ];then
    ln -s /mnt/home/winnt/fonts /root/.fonts
      fi
  fi
fi
Regards.

outcydr

#13 Post by outcydr »

thanks for bumping this thread up; i hadn't seen it before.

all this time i have been using puppy installed to hard drive (option 2) because i run multiple systems and it easier and faster booting for me. all this while debateing myself to try the tuts i have noticed about improving the fonts.

it seems this only works booting from cd rom. :(

how do i make this work in option 2 hard drive install?

mdisaster

#14 Post by mdisaster »

I just tried it with Puppy2. I couldn't find a /root/.fonts , and it didn't get created, even with the modification suggested by wet.interrupt. So I created the symlink manually and rebooted, now I have the Windows fonts in Abiword and Seamonkey.

Note: For some reason on my WinXP Home (retail, installed from scratch, Italian edition) the Windows directory is c:\windows, and the fonts directory is Fonts, capitalized.

Possible side effect: if things are done this way, any font that is manually installed in /root/.fonts will also show up in C:\windows\Fonts, and if it is a TrueType or bitmap font it will be actually installed in Windows.
(don't know what happens with other font types such as Type1, nothing good I'm afraid).

wetware.interrupt

#15 Post by wetware.interrupt »

Sorry for the complications!
mdisaster wrote:I just tried it with Puppy2. I couldn't find a /root/.fonts , and it didn't get created, even with the modification suggested by wet.interrupt. So I created the symlink manually and rebooted, now I have the Windows fonts in Abiword and Seamonkey.

Note: For some reason on my WinXP Home (retail, installed from scratch, Italian edition) the Windows directory is c:\windows, and the fonts directory is Fonts, capitalized.
Argh. Well, I run WinXP-Home too. It was installed by the system vendor (Gateway). My generalization about WinXP may not be very reliable, OK. It's up to the installer as to what to name the Windows dir; one can name it "FoosBall" and things will still work (inside Winwoes). In general I think it's still productive though, to assume that a high percentage of the time one will find either Windows\ or WINNT\.

The capitalization issue is a tough one - we're looking at writing a fairly long case statement in the shell script now, to take care of all the possible permutations. I cannot recall my mount-fu well enough atm to say for sure: but isn't there an option to mount a vfat filesystem so that it ignores case? :? ... or is that a samba thing, or something else.
mdisaster wrote:Possible side effect: if things are done this way, any font that is manually installed in /root/.fonts will also show up in C:\windows\Fonts, and if it is a TrueType or bitmap font it will be actually installed in Windows.
(don't know what happens with other font types such as Type1, nothing good I'm afraid).
Thanks for the observations.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

In Puppy2, you will find GuestToo's original idea is still there, just
commented out. Look in /etc/rc.d/rc.local0.