Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
capoverde

#91 Post by capoverde »

Update to my previous post about having to restart X for a correct (or almost) initialization: just tried to see what happens using Xorg.

Well, nothing happens -- after a seemingly normal and successful test (at 1280x1024x32) and getting the go, the screen stays black and no key combination takes back to text mode or to reboot: total hang! The MD5 sum says the ISO file is shipshape.

Using the present LCD monitor, former (stable) releases had both Xvesa and Xorg working OK, with apparently identical behavior.

HairyWill

#92 Post by HairyWill »

Barry
You asked for ideas for stopping the battery tray app starting on desktop machines. I haven't really followed the overall problem but I suspect it might only be happening on machines that use apm rather than acpi. You can query the apm status by doing cat /proc/apm. Here are a couple of example outputs from my laptop. The first is with the power plugged in and the second is with it disconnected

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# cat /proc/apm
1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0x03 0x09 99% -1 ?
sh-3.00# cat /proc/apm
1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x01 97% 2 min
sh-3.00#
On my laptop it is possible to test apm behaviour by booting with acpi=off apm=on
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

floborg

#93 Post by floborg »

Barry asked for more info about the battery app issue:

I posted the output of lsmod in an earlier post.
I do not have a /proc/acpi directory.
I do not have a /sys/module/battery directory.

On what may be a related note, I've never been able to get CPU temperature information using any of the methods described in these forums (with Puppy 3.01).

jcagle

#94 Post by jcagle »

Not sure that this is really a bug...

I was using the Flock web browser in Alpha 7, then went to Puppy 4 Beta...

Flock doesn't work.

first of all, libstdc++.so.5 wasn't there, so I created a symlink to the newer version that was there.

Now I get this
./flock
./flock-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by ./flock-bin)
./flock-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by ./flock-bin)
./flock-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by ./libxpcom_core.so)
./flock-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by ./libxpcom_core.so)
./flock-bin: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by ./libxpcom_compat.so)
Don't know that this is really a bug, but probably something flock users need to have fixed.

kirk

#95 Post by kirk »

The Battery applet problem Barry mentioned in his blog is with computers that use apm. The docs included with asapm (the battery app) says this should not happen:
This estimate is either
provided by the APM daemon or is calculated by this tool
itself. When there is no estimate available the display is
disabled.
The rc.modules2 script only checks for acpi batterys and loads the needed modules.

Disciple reported on this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=30

that this only occurs with alpha7 (and now beta1), both have the 2.6.21.7 kernel, and that it did not occur with alpha6 which has the 2.6.24.

1) So the first question is for Barry. Do you still plan on using 2.6.25 for Dingo final? If so this may be a non-problem.

2) Floborg, could you post the output of cat /proc/apm? Then we can compare it to what HairyWill posted and make some kind of test for it.

Also,

Noticed that shift-delete doesn't seem to copy text from rxvt in beta1.

I find Gxine's GUI easy to use, but Xine-ui did seem to work quite well.

disciple

#96 Post by disciple »

:) Beaten to it.

Barry, I updated the trash roxapp again, with a little bugfix and some of the additional functionality I was suggesting someone else could do.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 998#188998

I'm guessing it won't change again in the near future, except Dan is talking about modifying it to use fltk via Murgalua.

BUT, I think you should change it back to use icons in /usr/local/apps/Trash, and have the icons as links to icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/
Because if you have it directly using icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/, like in the alpha's, then it isn't backwards compatible. Whenever anyone restores or deletes the last item in their trash, if this item was deleted in an earlier puppy, then it will still look in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/ for the empty icon.
I made the icon paths variables, so you just have to look in the top of AppRun and temp-AppRun.
EDIT - I guess this isn't a big issue, as it will get the correct empty icon if you click on the trash.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

floborg

#97 Post by floborg »

kirk wrote: 2) Floborg, could you post the output of cat /proc/apm? Then we can compare it to what HairyWill posted and make some kind of test for it.

# cat /proc/apm
1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

Sage

#98 Post by Sage »

What is the significance of the /bin/mnt: line91
message in the boot up sequence of a full install of P4beta1 ?
It never appeared before.

Firefox

No PSI

#99 Post by Firefox »

I tried to install pups to Dingo - appeared to work for normal files with getext and dotpuphandler but not with Puppy software installer - the files can be downloaded but the menu does not appear and the rate of download is to fast for my eyes/systen, i never know if the files are ok or not - it seams the arrow disapears half way along giving the impression of success.
Can somebody please make a dot PET of PSI for Dingo please.

vito

youtube

#100 Post by vito »

Hello all :

I ran into this bug in puppy 3.01 also. Everything works fine until I try and load youtube.com, then the curser freezes, and I have to reboot. Once the computer rebooted itself when I was trying to youtube.com.

Could this be a flash problem? The problem for me showed up on
TMXXINE 3.01 and DINGO BETA.

Mny Thx,

Vito

stoic

Bug in new blog under Safari

#101 Post by stoic »

Barry,

Since you referred us to this thread for other feedback on your new blog, I'm posting here.

I love the new blogs minimalism, but under Safari 3.0 the title repeats itself after the sidebar has finished (see picture).

The site displays fine under Camino 1.5.5 (a Gecko based Mac browser).

Edit: After looking at the source, the offending code seems to be line 38 in style.css:

background-position: center, top;
The comma is not used when specifying css elements in this way - Webkit seems to be stricter in respecting this than Gecko.

After removing the comma the page displays fine in both Safari and Camino.

Stoic
Attachments
safari rendering blog.jpg
Bug with Safari 3.0 rendering new blog
(52.88 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Last edited by stoic on Thu 10 Apr 2008, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#102 Post by DreamsToGo »

Well, since my April 07 post about Gxine stopping after 30 secs or so when playing streaming media, in particular the BBC, I have,

- had a quick flirt with Mandriva - the new version Spring 2008.1 is out.

- but came back to Puppy with my tail between my legs - its Soooo much better and faster.

- reinstalled Puppy Beta 1 with a clean install (frugal). Before I had done an upgrade to a dingo alpha 7 frugal install.

BBC streaming works having installed mplayer, mplayer codecs full and mplayer plugin. It no longer cuts off after 30 sec or so. Good news.

Gxine still sucks though...

Hilary

kirk

#103 Post by kirk »

Here's a fix for the battery monitor problem with apm. I made a wrapper script for asapm to check if /proc/apm has a battery charge of less than zero. If so asapm is not ran.
#!/bin/sh
if [ -a /proc/apm ]; then
if [ "$(cat /proc/apm | cut -d % -f 1 | awk '{print $(NF)}')" -lt "0" ] ; then
exit
fi
fi
asapm2 $@
To test, rename /usr/sbin/asapm to asapm2. Then unzip the attached asapm script and put it in /usr/sbin. Reboot. If you guys with apm could test it, that would be great.

The reason this wasn't a problem in alpha6 is that the apm module in 2.6.24 was renamed apm_32, because of the merge of the 32bit and 64bit trees. I saw a patch to rename it back to apm, maybe that's been done for 2.6.25. Anyway, we were not loading the apm module in alpha6.

Another problem:

In /root/ghttpd there is no executable. Guesttoo's Monkey web server package was made in to an official pet package. I didn't know if it was going to be included or not. In any case /root/ghttpd should be deleted.
Attachments
asapm.gz
(141 Bytes) Downloaded 415 times

GeoW

Battery app

#104 Post by GeoW »

kirk,

Good job. The battery app is gone on my desktop computer.

I didn't download your little script. I just did the rename, created a new
asapm and copy / pasted your script into it.

Rebooted - no battery in taskbar.

Running Intel Desktop Board D850MV P4 proc.

Good job,

GeoW

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#105 Post by Béèm »

When I try to connect to my yahoo IM account I get the msg from Yahoo, that I should install the latest version of Yahoo Messenger.
Duh, ayttm = Yahoo messenger?

I don't have this with Pidgin and Kopete.

EDIT:
OK, saw the message on the blog, but it's not clear to me what I should do to correct ayttm.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

stoic

Puppy Linux 4 Beta 1 on an Asus Eee PC

#106 Post by stoic »

Thoughts on Puppy Linux 4 Beta on the Eee.

Wired ethernet and wireless support seem to be absent for the Eee. I don't know about wired support, but the two methods for the Eee's wireless seem to be using a patched Madwifi module (or perhaps just a very current one) or Ndiswrapper (I don't know if you can autodetect that Ndiswrapper is required for any particular device though). I don't know which of these was used with Pupeee 3.01.

The internal SSD is detected as a slow ide device and given a hdc device name. When I install Puppy with Grub I can add the line hdc=noprobe to force Puppy to detect the internal drive as sda - and it runs much faster. I don't know if this can be detected automatically?

The desktop icon for the Network setup wizard doesn't fit on the Eee's vertically-challenged display. I don't know how much you want to optimize the default install for these devices, but there is only enough room for five rows of icons on the desktop.

I love HotPup.

On the media player front, I'd vote for VLC - Xine (of any variety) I've always found hard to use and buggy. VLC plays everything and has a really simple UI (www.videolan.org/vlc).

Stoic
Last edited by stoic on Thu 10 Apr 2008, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#107 Post by Béèm »

I didn't succeed in transferring a file to the other person.
The file transfer seems to start, but then hangs.
Anybody successful?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nic2109

Re: Solved wireless network bug reported earlier

#108 Post by nic2109 »

bde wrote:Nick: Can you check the following? From the console, type the command below, hit the enter key, and see if you get wireless connection. Assuming that /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf has the correct entry, and the wireless interface is eth1.

/usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh eth1 wext
After the connection is made, run from console:

dhcpcd -t 30 -d eth1
This allocates the IP number to your comuter from the router, and you should be ready to browse........
That worked perfectly, and it was really quick (no more than a few seconds) so it looks like the wizard is doing much more than just these 2 commands for some reason.

What next?
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

floborg

#109 Post by floborg »

kirk wrote:Here's a fix for the battery monitor problem with apm. I made a wrapper script for asapm to check if /proc/apm has a battery charge of less than zero. If so asapm is not ran.
#!/bin/sh
exit
fi
fi
asapm2 $@
To test, rename /usr/sbin/asapm to asapm2. Then unzip the attached asapm script and put it in /usr/sbin. Reboot. If you guys with apm could test it, that would be great.

The reason this wasn't a problem in alpha6 is that the apm module in 2.6.24 was renamed apm_32, because of the merge of the 32bit and 64bit trees. I saw a patch to rename it back to apm, maybe that's been done for 2.6.25. Anyway, we were not loading the apm module in alpha6.

Another problem:

In /root/ghttpd there is no executable. Guesttoo's Monkey web server package was made in to an official pet package. I didn't know if it was going to be included or not. In any case /root/ghttpd should be deleted.
For others with this problem, you can just comment out the asapm line in the jwm-tray file in /root.

jeffrey

#110 Post by jeffrey »

Wow, Barry - you sure get a lot of feedback! Puppy 3.98 looks great. (And I'm sorry, but I do prefer the sedate mountain view to the gaudy yellow one - thanks.)
I have the same battery applet on PC problem for an Acer 4100 (500MHz) but not on an Asus (500MHz).
kirk's solution is good. I also see the -1% (in fact exactly the same contents of /proc/apm as floberg (on this thread's previous page)). Since kirk is using awk you can drop the cat and cut to replace

exit
fi
fi
with

# Skip loading apm for PC with no /proc/apm or if field 7 (battery percentage) is negative, eg
#    1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?
awk -F '[ %]+' '$7<0 {exit 1}' /proc/apm 2>/dev/null || exit
The -F specifies that fields are separated by one or more spaces or percent-signs. The "2>/dev/null" hides the error message if /proc/apm does not exist. Script execution will only continue if the file exists and field 7 is positive. If you want the test to apply only to the first line of the file (and in this case I assume that there only is one line) put "NR==1 && " before "$7".

On another line, I haven't seen HotPup before. It's great - very dynamic. Unfortunately the text below the icons gets obscured by the menu bar on my screen. I'm running at 1600x1200 and 64 pixels isn't quite enough to let the text appear, but 65 fixes it. The best solution would be to determine how high the menu bar is and subtract that plus the icon height from the maximum screen height. It looks like ROX aligns the icons to a grid so they can't be specified to pixel accuracy anyway. Not knowing how to fix it properly, a simple workaround for me is to change /etc/HotPup/add_icons_for_device1 line 57 text Y0=SCREENY-64 to Y0=SCREENY-65. I don't know if the other similarly named files need changed too. See the before and after images below.

Another thing that would be a slight improvement is if that clever context-sensitive right-click menu on a hotpup icon were to show a "Mount" option since it might confuse a novice user when they're trying to mount it and don't realise that left-click will do the job faster (especially if they try the "Open unmounted" option).
Attachments
hotpup-unmounted_menu.png
Would be nice to add &quot;Mount&quot; option to the right-click.
(63.97 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
hotpup-before.png
Original HotPup icons on 1600x1200 screen showing text obscured
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times
hotpup-after.png
add_icons_for_device1 line 57 Y0=SCREENY-64 changed to Y0=SCREENY-65
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 1058 times
Last edited by jeffrey on Fri 11 Apr 2008, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.