How can I make sure a URL opens in Firefox?

Using applications, configuring, problems

#1 Post by Guest »

Forgive me for being dense, but could you explain a method to ensure that when an application launches a url, it will be opened via Firefox?

I have tried the smybolic link and even played around with the idea of renaming the mozilla that comes preinstalled in Puppy 1.05, but I think there must be a better way.

I'm using the 1.07 version of Firefox from the DotPup manager, and in case you're wondering, I require Firefox due to some extensions that I use that make all other browsers useless to me.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, the information you provided is great, but only helps with launching the program, and that's why I'm asking this.

Again, BTW, I realise that there's a good chance that what I'm looking for is explained elsewhere, or that I'm just not understanding the answer, so thanks, and I'm sorry as needed.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

as far as I know, it is not possible.

But applications could read in an environment-variable $BROWSER.

So you could add a line
BROWSER=/usr/local/bin/firefox
to your startup-file
/etc/rc.d/rc.local0

Then the application could start an URL like this:

system(env("BROWSER") & " " & $URL);

Unfortunately this is not a standard, so this basically just is helpfull if you write your own applications or scripts.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

if you installed Firefox using my dotpup, there should be a file in /root/my-applications/bin/ called something like firefox107

you can right click firefox107 and click Open As Text
there should be a line something like:
exec /root/my-documents/firefox-installer/firefox "$@"
depending where Firefox is installed

you can copy the line to /usr/local/bin/mozstart, just under
#!/bin/sh

now anything that tries to open Mozilla or Opera or Firefox or Netscape should run Firefox 1.0.7 instead

you could right click an html file and set it's run action to mozstart if you want it to open an html file with your default browser instead of dillo, when you click it ... i think i put my Firefox bugfix in my Firefox 1.0.7 dotpup, otherwise that won't work with Firefox

or you could put it in /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser instead of mozstart, if you prefer

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Yes, 1.0.5 has the first attempt at /usr/local/default*, Pup 1.0.6 will do
it better. Even Rox associations will go through them.
I decided on actual files rather than environment variables as I was uncertain
how to change env. variables globally on-the-fly.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I prefer files anyway. This way I can see them and link to them instead of messing with files. I can even replace them with scripts that do all kinds of stuff, like tell the user which program is starting. I don't have any applications for that yet, but you never know what you might need to do.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]