Gnome 2.20.3 SFS (Only for Puppy4)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
wow

Gnome 2.20.3 SFS (Only for Puppy4)

#1 Post by wow »

This is another preview, some features are not available or may not work properly. 8)

Note: This SFS works better with the old puppy-4.00

Download Installation:
  • Start with a fresh Dingo, i.e. "No pup_save" ('puppy pfix=ram')
    Choose Xorg as X server
    Then run these commands:

Code: Select all

addgroup haldaemon
    adduser -SDH haldaemon -G haldaemon
    Also remove '/root/.gtkrc-2.0' to avoid problems with the gtk theme in Gnome.
    Now install [Dingo-Xorg-DRI.pet] (by Kirk)
    Copy gnome-2.20.3test02_398.sfs to the same partition where the new pup_save.2fs will be saved. (rename the version number, _398, if needed)
    Now reboot and save session.
To start GNOME exit X and type:

Code: Select all

xwin gnome-session
Extras: Notes:
1. I compiled everything with puppy-3.96-seamonkey-k2.6.24.iso, for the i686 architecture and with the '/usr' prefix.
2. This SFS was packed with squashfs 3.0
3. If the 'Computer' directory is empty repeat all my install instrucctions carefully.
4. If you had xvesa as the X server you will see an strange error window regarding something about the keyboard, I don't know how to solve it..
5. List of installed packages: [here] and [here]

Enjoy.
Last edited by wow on Sat 04 Apr 2009, 08:26, edited 8 times in total.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

wow

#2 Post by wow »

Troubleshooting:
  • Change dpi if fonts are too big:
    If the disk label has spaces: set the mount point manually:
    Mounting UDF disks as iso9660:
Last edited by wow on Fri 18 Apr 2008, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#3 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hiya Wow!

Gee whiz... I hope since nobody's replied to this until today that you haven't gotten discouraged in thinking that no one's using your terrific Gnome.sfs file because that couldn't be further from the truth my courageous Puppian friend!

What a fabulous project you've undertaken here! And I'm using it---and enjoying it immensely I might add! :D I've really put the .sfs file through its paces as well and to date the only two things I've discovered so far which haven't worked is that Epiphany segfaults (maybe because I installed Firefox 2.0.0.12 and changed over to the full binary version of SeaMonkey 1.1.8?) and that I am unable to change the mouse pointer---neither of which is a big deal to me.

One other issue that the jury may be out on is that it may not be antialiasing properly. However, Wow, I have poor vision myself so I'm not the one to be making that determination. I can read it and I'm having a blast, I'm able to do a day's work, so no problem! :D

Actually, this is the very first time I've been able to fully enjoy Totem. It doesn't even work that well in my Mint 4.0 so I use Xine instead when in Mint. Totem, so far, has worked fine though I've yet to try a DVD.

You've just done one totally phenomenal piece of artwork here Wow and I've been meaning to return and tell you about it, and that I'm using it, etc. (I even tried to remaster with it included but I don't know anything about remastering and have wasted a lot of "coasters") I wanted to let you know at any rate.

Please keep up the fabulous work my friend, okie? I can't promise you I'll try others because I'm that satisfied with this one, you know? But I hope someone will come along who'll keep trying them!

THANK YOU!!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

wow

#4 Post by wow »

Eyes-Only wrote:... and that I am unable to change the mouse pointer---neither of which is a big deal to me.
Copy/Extract your mouse cursor theme to '/usr/X11R7/share/icons' or '/root/.icons' and try again.
Eyes-Only wrote:One other issue that the jury may be out on is that it may not be antialiasing properly. However, Wow, I have poor vision myself so I'm not the one to be making that determination. I can read it and I'm having a blast, I'm able to do a day's work, so no problem! :D
Hmm... try to play around with Rendering: System(menu)>Preferences>Appearance>Font.
Eyes-Only wrote:Actually, this is the very first time I've been able to fully enjoy Totem. It doesn't even work that well in my Mint 4.0
Oh, Mint. I haven't tested Mint yet, but the Mint's Menu works in Puppy [read more]

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks for the hints and tips here Wow. Next time I've booted into my Gnome Puppy I'll give those a try, especially the mouse pointer as I have one that I especially like and use.

As to the antialiasing, however, it's not all that much of a big deal really, and yeah---that's exactly where I go for the settings on the font (I've used Gnome on & off over the past couple of years).

I'm just so terribly impressed here on how you've managed to pull this off Wow. THAT'S what I can't get over! I mean---how you've managed to have made Gnome to look like a "native Puppy desktop environment" the way you have. How you've managed to get the "About Puppy" to appear right underneath the "About Gnome" in the "Settings" section, and how you've gotten Puppies settings to pepper the Gnome settings panel, etc. That's a brilliant piece of work.

I wished I could've managed that remastering I was attempting. Ah well... "C'est la vie!" as we say. ;)

Again Wow: Thanks for everything as this is greatly appreciated!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

Update: That worked on the mouse pointer by the way: I copied some out from another install on another partition and placed them to "/root/icons". That did the trick Wow. Thanks again!

Hmm... today the fonts seem fine though I've changed nothing. Maybe I simply needed a reboot. I'd made a tonne of changes that day and I wasn't exactly "with it" at the time unfortunately. :(

Thanks!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

puppyluvr

WOW

#7 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello guys :D
I downloaded the SFS , made the daemon changes, and rebooted.
Then I droped out of X...Typed xwin gnome-session...VIOLA...HUH???
I dont have Gnome, but.....I do have both JWM and Openbox..AT THE
SAME TIME.. :D :D :D Both menus function, everything works...
The JWM taskbar autohides, revealing the openbox panel!! The
wierd thing is that EVERYTHING WORKS from both WM`s...
Both taskbar/panels show the other panel minimized!!!
I might leave it for a while...kinda cool... 8)
I know I should have removed Fatdog first, but I forgot..
Still, how is this possible????

The shaded window in both shots is this Firefox session I`m typing this from.

..........Puppyluvr...........
Last edited by puppyluvr on Sat 19 Apr 2008, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

Update

#8 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
Rebooted...tried again...xwin jwm = JWM...xwin openbox = openbox
xwin gnome-session = BOTH, but no gnome!
Looks cool though.. 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Getting Gnome working on Puppy was considered impossible
by one Puppy Master.

Being impossible seems no obstacle for the determined Puppy hacker. 8)

Well done indeed. Looking forward to further enhancements :)

Any more Gnomee fans?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

wow

#10 Post by wow »

puppyluvr wrote::D
Rebooted...tried again...xwin jwm = JWM...xwin openbox = openbox
xwin gnome-session = BOTH, but no gnome!
Looks cool though.. 8)
:?: :?: :?: :?:
certainly my gnome sfs wasn't loaded in your Puppy (it doesn't have openbox...) Launch 'Bootmanager' and check if gnome-2.20.3test02_398.sfs is one of the top 3 SFS's loaded by Puppy.

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hey :D
No its there...
I think im in JWM but with the Openbox panel..
It will probably work after I remove Fatdog, but I`m enjoying the mutation for now... :D :D :D
Attachments
sfs.png
It is there!!
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 23954 times

Eyes-Only

#12 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Puppyluvr!

Are you absolutely sure you followed Wow's instructions to the letter? Now when I read those I took them to mean that I had to start with a fresh Dingo, i.e. "No pup_save" because you have to make a new pup_save in the end in you follow the directions logically and by the letter. Well, that's how I interpreted them anyway---but I've been known to usually be wrong. :oops: LOL!

I do know that I didn't use the Dingo that I already had, but instead grabbed the beta (398) that's out and used that one instead. First I wiped out my A6 pup_save (it was just for testing anyway) and then started fresh.

Did you also remember to add HAL to the userlists like Wow pointed out above? Also, did you add that .pet file he'd made too? There's all those steps that have to be done before making the pup_save---as I understood it anyway---then I shutdown, made the pup_save, moved the Gnome.sfs over and started back up. When I started up I was asked in the process whether or not I wanted it added to the bootmanager and I said "yes", but I rebooted yet again after going to the bootmanager anyway just to make sure.

Odd that it worked like a charm for me. -scratches bald head-

@Lobster: Nothing is impossible. ;) LOL! Sorry mate! I couldn't resist! :twisted:

Well, I probably haven't helped the situation any, but I guess I was just stunned when I'd read how it didn't work for you and it was so flawless for me. -sigh-

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

I am in Gnome now.
I just have a problem when Gnome starts. I get first the jwm desktop for a short while and then the Gnome desktop, but the problem is there is a message saying the Gnome settings daemon didn't start correctly or something the like. Some settings like background etc. might not work correctly.

I must say I didn't follow the procedure in post 1.
I started with the beta 1 pup_save file, which I had renamed for Gnome previously, so I didn't loose already installed programs.

About this browser, is it FireFox?
Can FireFox extensions and addons be installed?

Maybe it's subjective, but I have a feeling of more speed.

EDIT:
Found the reference of the addons, but none is there which is of interest.
Not like SeaMonkey yet.
Forgot to mention that sometimes icons are missing like in the top panel for internet access and e-mail. Elsewhere as well.
Also I am missing the little applet indicatio storage left, as well as connection icons (blinky?)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

wow

#14 Post by wow »

@puppyluvr: As Eyes-Only said you must start with a fresh Dingo, i.e. "No pup_save".
Béèm wrote:I get first the jwm desktop for a short while and then the Gnome desktop
That's because 'xwin' runs /root/.xinitrd which start the ROX pinboard. To prevent desktop flicktering between ROX and Nautilus I added the command 'killall ROX-Filer' to the Autostart list(System(gnome menu)>Preferences>Sessions)
Béèm wrote:... there is a message saying the Gnome settings daemon didn't start correctly or something the like. Some settings like background etc. might not work correctly.
I must say I didn't follow the procedure in post 1.
Please do it. And don't forget to choose Xorg.
Béèm wrote:About this browser, is it FireFox?
It's epiphany-2.20.3 [web site]
Béèm wrote:Can FireFox extensions and addons be installed?
Béèm wrote:Maybe it's subjective, but I have a feeling of more speed.
Hmm maybe. I haven't used Ephiphany/Gnome before, feels good though
Béèm wrote:Also I am missing the little applet indicatio storage left, as well as connection icons (blinky?)
Those are applets for gnome-panel, you have to add them manually.

puppyluvr

Gnome

#15 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hey Wow, :D
As I figured, I redid it but removed Fatdog..
Worked like a charm.. :D
So this is Gnome..never used it before..
Cool, I`ll be busy checking this out.. :D
Thanks for the SFS...

P.S., I kept the mutant 'two window managers" pupsave too..
Gonna check it out some more too... :idea:
Attachments
Gnome.png
Dingo with Gnome
(146.31 KiB) Downloaded 8334 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

wow,

The reason I start from an existing pup_save is, that I have 12 programs installed and I didn't want to loose them. The same counts for personalized setup. f.e. my internet connection worked right away as it had been configured before.

I did the same for KDE 3.5.8 and XFCE 442 and had no problem, so I am a bit disappointed that it didn't work for this Gnome, specially as I did the same thing with an earlier version of Gnome some time ago.
Time savers:

Béèm

#17 Post by Béèm »

Well, really no luck.
I started with pfix=ram and I wasn't offered to make a pup_save file.

So what now? (beta 1)

EDIT:
Forgot to say, that Dingo-Xorg-DRI.pet can't be installed.
Not enough room after it is in /root/.packages
Free space 25110 blocks, needed 82192 for expansion.
As I am still in the stage of pfix=ram I can't increase a pup_safe as there is none and I don't see how I can get more space.
Well I remember vaguely a trick to attach more space from another location to tmpfs, but I have to look for it where that advice was given.

So I am at a stop for the moment.

EDITa:

I found the trick, but it didn't work.
I am afraid I am at a full stop definitely
I have 256MB or ram and from this 119MB free as space to use.
I can't increase this anymore unless I install more ram.
So I am unable to follow the procedure exactly as more space (thus ram) is needed to install the Dingo-Xorg-DRI.pet.

EDITb:
As the beta 2 was out I tried that one and I have the same issue.
What more is, as with the the beta 1 I am even not offered to make a pup_save. This option is jst bypassed.
I didn't encounter this before as I always do a migration/version update on the existing pup_save files.
Last edited by Béèm on Sun 20 Apr 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:

Eyes-Only

#18 Post by Eyes-Only »

Ah! Tant pis Beem! :( Je dis ca car Gnome en Puppy est vraiment fantastique et tres vite! Plus vite que KDE en Puppy j'crois!

English: Ah! Too bad Beem :( I say this because Gnome in Puppy is really fantastic and very fast! Much faster, I think, than KDE in Puppy!

It's too bad that a remaster of this couldn't be made. I tried but it requires a much better mind than mine unfortunately. Where I stumble is when it calls for a "pristine or edited /etc directory". You can't start with a "pristine" "/etc" directory in the remaster because several directories are there from the Gnome**.sfs and by removing those you cause breakage.

But keep the entire "/etc" and then it can't find your IP address. So for me it was a "no win situation".

However, even with adding the complete SeaMonkey Suite to Dingo Beta, plus Firefox, Thunderbird, two Libfiles needed to run Firefox/TBird, plus a new icon scheme for Gnome/Rox (OxygenRefit & ROX-Oxygen pack), my remaster came in at 225megs which should run on a 256megs of RAM, eh? Or try a "puppy pfix=noram" option perhaps?

That latter option may even help you in your current situation Beem? I've seen it mentioned as an option here, one of the "cheatcodes" that I guess isn't listed when Puppy boots up? Myself, I've never tried it. I should to see if it'll work.

Oh, by the way: When adding Firefox 2.0.0.12 to the mix it does break Epiphany. I should add that note. But I prefer Firefox to Epiphany. (Actually I prefer Galeon but it's no longer being worked on.)

Anyway, would be nice to see this as like a Puppy derrivative as well?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Béèm

#19 Post by Béèm »

Oui je peux confirmer que Gnome est plus rapide que KDE.
C'est vraiment dommage, que ja procédure d'install ne fonctionne pas.
Pour moi il y a une erreur dans le concept de l'install, car quand on démarre avec pfix=ram il n'y a pas suffisamment de place libre pour faire l'install du DRI, ayant seulement 256KB. J'essayera le pfix=noram en espérant que cela fonctionne dans un install frugal. Merci pour le tuyau.

Yes I can confirm that Gnome is more performant then KDE.
It's really bad that the install procedure doesn't work. I think there is an error in the concept of the install as starting with pfix=ram ther isn't enough space to install the DRI having only 256KB. I'll try the pfix=noram, hoping it works in a frugal install. Thanks for the tip.
Time savers:

Béèm

#20 Post by Béèm »

I followed my friend's, Eyes-only, tip to use pfix=noram, but I don't have more space free. Still at 117MB, which isn't enough to install the DRI apparently.

Dommage, Eyes-only, mais bien essayé.
Time savers: