Gnome 2.20.3 SFS (Only for Puppy4)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
tombh

#91 Post by tombh »

@Eyes-Only: Blimey, I seem to be missing a lot of thread-updated-email-notifications recently, ah well, c'est la vie.
I'm curious about something: Anyone here in this thread ever try---with a hard drive install of 4.00---mounting the Gnome.sfs file and actually going through the daunting task of a manual install of this Gnome onto the drive to see whether it should work?
Yes! Me! Mind you I had to use a tool called unsquashfs, which I found from somewhere, can't remember where, as mounting gave a version mismatch error.
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

Eyes-Only

#92 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hiya Tom!

A "version mismatch number"? HUH? How so mate? I've been able to mount the .sfs file with my ROX and I haven't gotten any mismatch readings of any sort. Just tells me it's "mounted". Or do you mean after the fact? Like... let me see now... Like when you try booting into the Gnome desktop you then get the warning?

How curiously odd!

Have you ever gotten that with any other mounted and copied over .sfs file? I ask Tom because I've done this with OpenOffice (full) and I think it was the Xfce... never any problems there.

Thanks for your time Tom. :)

Oh! And I'm not really sure whether I am going to do it or not. Godfrey! I've got so many desktops now on Puppy I think I classify as a bonafide "desktop junkie" now! LOL! I lack just the Gnome, KDE, and e17... I've got everything else offered around here. ;) Hmm... next pursuit? A bonafide incorporation of a session manager perhaps like XDM? LOL!

Cheers mate! And thanks for your time and input!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

tombh

#93 Post by tombh »

Hiya Eyes-Only,

Oh right, I mean when I tried something like,

Code: Select all

mount -o loop gnome.sfs /mnt/tmp
it said something like,

the SFS that you are trying to mount was compressed using a 'squasher' (I'm definitely making that word up!) version newer than than the 'unsquasher' that is available.
In the back of my mind wow says something somewhere about version 3 squashfs or something. Anyhow, before I came across the proper way to upgrade it or figure it out or whatever, I came across unsquashfs, which just automatically 'unzips', if you like, the SFS directly to a directory, without all the usual mounting, copying, then unmounting shenanigans.

Anyhow, it's all going well for me now, mostly I'm enjoying the desktop; resizeable icons, great right-click-menu integration, thumbnails, the transparent box that appears when you click and drag to select multiple icons, the little things you know.

Best Wishes,
tom :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

wow

#94 Post by wow »

Jim1911 wrote:Have you gotten Gnome Commander or some other two-pane file manager to work in this distribution?
Well, yes. I was about to include gnome-commander to this SFS (test02) but if you have too many partitions (as I am) the main window becomes too wide, this was a bit annoying so I decided to remove it.
You can always try to compile it by yourself. I can't remember if it has more dependencies than gnome_xxx.sfs and dev_xxx.sfs, hopefully not.

Download the source code from: http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#95 Post by Béèm »

Eyes-Only wrote:I've got everything else offered around here. :wink: Hmm... next pursuit?
Did you try out virtual PC's f.e. in qemu?
Very interesting.
In this way I am running now puppy, openSUSE, ubuntu, kubuntu.
Qemu runs on my XP PC.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Eyes-Only

#96 Post by Eyes-Only »

@Beem: Actually, mon ami, when I'd written "my next persuit?" I meant for a desktop in my Puppy. :oops: As for using VM, it's actually not something that interests me. I don't know how to describe "why not?" though. Sorry!

I do have a virtual machine which came installed with my Parsix (which I use about as much, if not moreso, than Puppy) but I've never bothered starting it up.

I've actually tried nearly all the major distros out there at one time or another over the past three years---some several times and for several months at that (I have a lot of free time on my hands where I don't work, ouais?). But Puppy, in one form or another, has always been my "base", or "default" distro really because of how quickly I can set it up (matter of minutes even with changes), get going, and later on configure it as much as I want and to my heart's content until nobody would even guess it was Puppy. LOL!

Oh yes: And no Windows on this computer. This was built as a Linux-only box. It doesn't know what Windows is. ;) My other computer had 2000 on it but I had them remove it years ago when I got it for 98se---and then I stripped that to the "bare bones" to create my own computer and desktop which ran off the Windows files (.dlls, .libs, etc.) and I used mainly OpenSource for programmes... For my desktop environment then I used AstonShell. Very nice! :)

Seems so long ago... -sigh-

Amicalement mon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jim1911

#97 Post by Jim1911 »

WOW

Thanks, I compiled and installed Gnome Commander 1.2.7 with the source from the link you provided using Pup 4.1 alpha 7. It works perfectly and did not require any additional dependencies.

EDIT: Tried it with Pup 400 and got the following:
# ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
configure: error: gnome-doc-utils >= 0.3.2 not found
I'll not try to do any more with Pup 400 since 4.1 should be released this month and it works fine with the alpha.

Thanks again,
Jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#98 Post by Béèm »

Eyes-Only wrote:@Beem: Actually, mon ami, when I'd written "my next persuit?" I meant for a desktop in my Puppy. :oops: As for using VM, it's actually not something that interests me. I don't know how to describe "why not?" though. Sorry!

I do have a virtual machine which came installed with my Parsix (which I use about as much, if not moreso, than Puppy) but I've never bothered starting it up.

I've actually tried nearly all the major distros out there at one time or another over the past three years---some several times and for several months at that (I have a lot of free time on my hands where I don't work, ouais?). But Puppy, in one form or another, has always been my "base", or "default" distro really because of how quickly I can set it up (matter of minutes even with changes), get going, and later on configure it as much as I want and to my heart's content until nobody would even guess it was Puppy. LOL!

Oh yes: And no Windows on this computer. This was built as a Linux-only box. It doesn't know what Windows is. ;) My other computer had 2000 on it but I had them remove it years ago when I got it for 98se---and then I stripped that to the "bare bones" to create my own computer and desktop which ran off the Windows files (.dlls, .libs, etc.) and I used mainly OpenSource for programmes... For my desktop environment then I used AstonShell. Very nice! :)

Seems so long ago... -sigh-

Amicalement mon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
Ne t'en fait pas.
I didn't bother about VM machines either, but now I have discovered it, it's fun.
I can try out distro's I never would try out for fear to brake my XP machine.

Amitiés.

Bernard
Time savers:

Alucinary

jwm desktop loading

#99 Post by Alucinary »

wow wrote:
Béèm wrote:I get first the jwm desktop for a short while and then the Gnome desktop
That's because 'xwin' runs /root/.xinitrd which start the ROX pinboard. To prevent desktop flicktering between ROX and Nautilus I added the command 'killall ROX-Filer' to the Autostart list(System(gnome menu)>Preferences>Sessions)
I am also finding that the jwm desktop is loading breifly just before the gnome one, i am running puppy 408 and tried really hard to follow your instructions to the letter, however it seems that late into the night my brain failed me and i forgot about not having a pup_save file.... :s the installation went ahead fine (after creating a linux swap partition) and gnome loaded but with the breif jwm desktop - is this purely because i had a pup_save? or is there something else im missing? i have tried altering the "killall rox-filer" order in the session settings but it always reverts to 50 and makes no difference to the boot

please let me know if i am missing something (being really nather new to puppy!) or if i simply have to start again without the pup_save...

Thanks for your help :)

(and thanks a million times over for getting gnome onto puppy - it is awesome!)
[color=darkblue][size=75][i]"My Universe is what happens to my eyes and ears. Anything else is surmise and hearsay. For all I know, these people may not exist. You may not exist. I say what it occurs to me to say."[/i][/size][/color]

wow

#100 Post by wow »

@Alucinary: that "jwm desktop"(ROX's pinboard) is launched by the /root/.xinitrc script. Comment out this line in /root/.xinitrc to remove it:

#rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
Now if you don't want to load the pinboard only for "gnome-session", add these lines just before the end:

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "gnome-session" ];then
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
Something like this:

if [ "$CURRENTWM" != "gnome-session" ];then
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi

#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm

###END###
Restart X.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

Alucinary

#101 Post by Alucinary »

@ wow

Awesome! thats exactly what i needed :)
[color=darkblue][size=75][i]"My Universe is what happens to my eyes and ears. Anything else is surmise and hearsay. For all I know, these people may not exist. You may not exist. I say what it occurs to me to say."[/i][/size][/color]

madrunner

#102 Post by madrunner »

im new and need a little help i'll try to be as descriptive as humanly possible.
I downloaded the .pet first and installed it with no hitches
I then downloaded the gnome sfs into my /
I went into the System boot manager and selected the gnome sfs
I then reboot, exited X into prompt typed addgroup and adduser, i got user halaemon already exists, and already logged in.
I then typed xwin gnome-session and hit enter
my screen flashs black for a second then im right back in JWM with no changes, any help?
im on a full install of puppy4 on a 10 gig partition with basicly nothing installed yet. thank you for your help

Alucinary

#103 Post by Alucinary »

two things i did slightly different to that -

firstly i set up the user / haldaemon stuff from within the terminal while running xwin and it didnt come up with any "already exists" messages

secondly i also had to change the file "windowmanager" in /etc from jwm to gnome-session then reboot

(oh and my sfs files are in /initrid/mnt/dev_save and renamed so that the ending is _408 - or the number of your puppy version - but if your sfs has loaded then i dont think this would be the problem)

Malachi

#104 Post by Malachi »

Okay, I'm a complete Puppy newbie... My laptop only has 191 MB of RAM, and I'm loving the speed (I never knew this old thing could be so fast!). However, the interface really leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyway, to "complete" my perfect OS, I wanted to try gnome on Puppy, but I don't think I have enough RAM to do it...

First, I downloaded the .sfs file and put it onto my hard drive, where the save file is, then deleted that save. I rebooted, entered those commands in the terminal, then downloaded the .PET file. I opened it, but it said I didn't have enough space. So, what do I do?

To anyone who can help me, thank you in advanced! Even if I can't get this resolved, I'll still be a Puppy fanatic :wink: .

Béèm

#105 Post by Béèm »

Malachi,
The mesage means you don't have enough space to expend and install the pet. Now you got two numbers, one saying what you still have left and one which is needed. Unfortunately the numbers speak of n° of blocks not MB. I think you can divide the numbers by 1024 to have the MB figure and then you can calculate how many MB you need.
In utility you will find 'resize your personal storage'.
Execute this and increase with the n° of MB calculated.
Reboot after this and try the install again.
Time savers:

Malachi

#106 Post by Malachi »

Hi Beem,

Since I didn't have a save file (per the instructions in the first post), I had to reboot and make one. After that, the .PET installed without a problem. With the .SFS file in the same folder as the save, I rebooted again, exited to prompt, and typed in "xwin gnome-session". However, it just ran Puppy normally.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that I am only supposed to make a save file after I install the .PET file. Unfortunately, I don't have enough RAM to do this.

EDIT: I forgot about the commands I was supposed to enter into the terminal. I just did them now, rebooted, and did the prompt thing, but this still doesn't work.

Béèm

#107 Post by Béèm »

When you go into bootmanager and select 'choose which extra sfs files you want to load at boot' you get a second window. (with two panes)
Can you post a screen shot?
Time savers:

Malachi

#108 Post by Malachi »

Okay, here it is:

Carnaggio

#109 Post by Carnaggio »

I've been getting segmentation faults in Evolution. It's not consistent, but seems to happen when opening a new message. Running Evolution from a terminal gives the following output:

# evolution
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
** (evolution:4870): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution %s
** (evolution:4870): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
creating
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
fff
Segmentation fault
# 

jcagle

#110 Post by jcagle »

ok, there's a slight problem with Dingo-Xorg-DRI.pet. I went to download it, and it gives me

Concurrent download limit exceeded.