XFCE desktop for puppy !!!

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
bombayrockers

you are the beeter judge

#31 Post by bombayrockers »

try running the configuration utility there you would see an option 'print to local file' see if something can be done over there.
if xfprint4 dosent work i wouldnt want to include it. however you are the better judge.

YES YES the menu convertor is working fine with awk :D .

Alienx wrote:
it comes with a lot of beautiful themes but how to use the old Puppy themes and Barry's GTK theme script ?

I have an idea: to create in /usr/share/themes a new Puppy folder similar to the others but in place of gtkrc put a symlink to /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

it works, we can now choose a theme with GTK theme script and then choose "Puppy" on xfce configuration panel
he created a folder /usr/share/themes/Puppy/gtk-2.0 and in that he placed a simlink to /etc/gtk02.0/gtkrc. this shows up as Puppy in the XFCE user interface setup. barrys themes can now be used with xfce.

however i have used the gtk engine for xfce 3.8 for the gtk1 apps. gtkrc file for this is stored in /root/.gtkrc . so any changes we make do not apply to the gtk1 apps.

to get a uniform look for all my apps i reverted back to the orignal gtkrc in /etc/gtk/gtkrc but then i lose the xfce look for the gtk1 apps. to overcome this i tried passing the 'engine "xfce" {}' paramater in my /etc/gtk/gtkrc but i does'nt seem to work. can you figure this out.

bombayrockers

common gtk theme switcher

#32 Post by bombayrockers »

i have posted a dotpup for a common gtk theme switcher this will sync the look both gtk and gtk2 apps.
for more details goto

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2907

rarsa

#33 Post by rarsa »

try running the configuration utility there you would see an option 'print to local file' see if something can be done over there
:) I forgot to mention that I had also tried that. It complained about not being able to create the file. It only writes an empty file.

puppian

Re: xfce.tar.gz

#34 Post by puppian »

bombayrockers wrote:xf-mixer (sound mgr) - not working req libasound.so.1
You can find libasound.so.2 here (G2's dotpup) and simlink libasound.so.1 to it :)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

thanks anyway

#35 Post by guest »

this is bombayrockers

thanks puppian - i had solved those libary dependency before releasing the dotpup in additional software section.

puppian

#36 Post by puppian »

>> i had solved those libary dependency before releasing the dotpup in additional software section

Great bombayrockers :) I guessed you've done that

Have put the details of XFCE here ;)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

rarsa

#37 Post by rarsa »

To avoid cluttering this thread and because the effort will be larger than just xfce, I'm continuing the menu project in another thread

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=18317#18317

Having access to XFCE from within puppy is great as it has successfully implemented the freedesktop.org XFCE menu standard.

bombayrockers

great job rarsa and puppian

#38 Post by bombayrockers »

The work on the menu being done by rarsa is appreciated. its a great job.

FEEDBACK REQUIRED -> users who are using the session manager please provide your feedback.

QUESTION -> how can the session manager rc file be edited to start rox as the desktop with session manager ?

bombayrockers

an intresting screen-shot

#39 Post by bombayrockers »

best of both world for puppy - speed + good apps from kde
Attachments
xfce-kde.jpg
(117.88 KiB) Downloaded 1629 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#40 Post by Lobster »

:oops: Hey Bombay - did I miss something or have you got the konqueror browser working in Puppy?

Maybe it is time for the much fabled KDE Krazy Puppy pupget by Barry to be released . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bombayrockers

kde in puppy

#41 Post by bombayrockers »

I just wanted to try kde in puppy. Apart from the eye candy it comes with a few good apps. So I made a kde 3.4.3 installation in puppy using kdebase, kdelibs and aRTS and a few other libs. i have used slackware 10.1 packages. Seems to be working fine. I have been studying the background messages there are no critical errors just Badwindow requests. All base apps are working fine though per se kde is slow on my box (pIII , 128 Mb, 200 Mb linux swap) . however using xfce session manager to start kde services, kde apps can be started from xfce without much loading time.

Following should have been posted elsewhere

This is a theory i have. Rather than releasing Krazy puppy as a whole, it should be broken down into packages similar to kubuntu kde packages.
if you have not seen kubuntu packages here is an review. Official kdebase package is 25 mb tar.gz. what kubuntu people have done is broken down this into individual packages. say kdebase-binaries, kdebase-documents, kdebase-data...

so if krazy puppy is packaged in such a manner that the required base libs are in one package. (apps + their libs) in individual packages. This i suggest because it will give access to the better apps in kde an still not bloat puppy.

klhrevolutionist

how in the world ?

#42 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Bombay, how in the world ? I've been trying to get KDe working in puppy forever. At least tell us how you did it, so we can have it!!!
Thanks.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

#43 Post by rarsa »

Bombayrockers:

I've completed the third stage towards having dynamic menu generation in Puppy.

The good news is that the work for the Xfce is almost completed.

Please check my post and test it under Xfce.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=18767#18767

My next stage is to try to convince people to start creating the <application>.desktop files at installation so they appear automatically under the Xfce menu.

Actually, If MU can add that to his DotPup wizard, it would be awesome.

Enjoy,

saintlangton

#44 Post by saintlangton »

I like Xfce !

Thanks Bombayrockers!

I'm having a little issue with it though - Changes don't seem to be saved after a reboot. :(

e.g changing the icons on the panel or changing setting to take off the annoying startup notificaion. on a reboot it's back to what it was. :?

Is there something I need to do to save these changes? There is no obvious save changes button...

Chris

bombayrockers

saving panel config changes

#45 Post by bombayrockers »

saintlangton wrote
I'm having a little issue with it though - Changes don't seem to be saved after a reboot.
this happens because current changes to the panel are stored in
/root/.config/xfce4/panel/contents.xml.active

so to save your changes do this.
in the above folder copy contents.xml over contents.xml.bak and copy contents.xml.active over contents.xml before you reboot.

rarsa

#46 Post by rarsa »

Hi bombayrockers.

Where did you get the source to compile the xfce desktop?

Here is why I need to know:

I've downloaded and studied the code that generates the xfce menu from the menu.xml file but I could not find any place where it parses the xfce4.menu file.

I've sent a note to the xfce developers and they've confirmed that they are not processing that file. The funny thing is that, as you have witnessed, If I create that file for puppy, xfce builds the menu based on that file.

So I am totally confused. The code and the developers tell me that they don't use that file, The experience tells me it is being used and parsed.

The only explanation I have is that you used sources different than the ones in the xfce official page.

bombay_rockers

i have used .deb packages

#47 Post by bombay_rockers »

well that would be a problem because i did not compile them from a source. i had downloaded .dsl binary packages from damn small linux forum.
with the previous knowledge that .dsl is nothing but renamed .tar.gz
i extracted them got them running. i gave up on compiling because of many depenencies (devel packages)

rarsa

#48 Post by rarsa »

Well, That gives me somewhere to follow-up from.

BTW, I've fixed the jwm2xdg program for the problem you and MU had.

sling-shot

#49 Post by sling-shot »

Hi. Just downloaded and using XFCE. Really cool!
One query..
XFCE takes away all the icons for launching various applications from the desktop and only 7 of them are visible on the panel below. Where are the others gone? How to make them visible?
For eg. i have FF installed. It does not add any item to the start menu. So how to make it easy to launch it instead of drilling down to the executable and clicking on it?
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.

sling-shot

#50 Post by sling-shot »

One more thing. Puppy 1.0.5+XFCE4+Firefox 1.5beta2 seems to be a recipe for disaster. Been using this combo since 2 days and i am seeing on an avg 1 freeze/workspace crash per hour. All open windows are lost. Also after about 15 to 30 minutes system becomes very very slow, almost unresponsive, even though cpu usage and memory usage are well within 50%. But during these times i see continuous hard disk activity - as seen by the constantly-on LED, indicating HD use. This goes off if all FF windows are closed.
This does not occur with JWM. But in JWM, Mozilla creates similar problems. Hmmmmm......
EDIT 1: Corrected/improved grammer. Added 1 sentence.
Last edited by sling-shot on Thu 27 Oct 2005, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.