something like a modprobe frontend

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
cat

something like a modprobe frontend

#1 Post by cat »

Hello Everyone!
I recently entered the Puppy universe and had a pretty hard time getting sound and net setup properly working on my old Laptop.
So I thought that it might be easier for other enthusiastic Linux-Newbies like me to have something like a small program that lists the modprobe modules categorized, reads out the parameters and offers the user some multiple choice options based on the type and reasonable values. The resulting string should be automatically run in the terminal (to help those with a typing-allergy :wink: ), and give a screen output if any error messages were generated. An adding / deleting modules button might be a good idea for that, too. Nothing fancy, just something that helps the user with figuring out what options are available.

I got the impression that the modprobe commands are supposed not to be a real part of puppy, but for me it was the only solution that worked so far.

In addition to that, some mention of pppoe-setup somewhere would be nice, too, because it got me online in just two tries while the setup wizard still fails to help me. Might be that I'm not worthy enough for the mage's advice...

As I said, I'm a newbie, so if my idea doesn't make any sense at all because it would fatten the Puppy infinitely you know what to blame.
Great job you're doing! :D