Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Jan 2020, 08:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 35 of 41 [610 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
otropogo

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 14:04    Post subject:  

magerlab wrote:
there's already a pet for localizing menu !
see MU list of links

Is there a FAQ that describes in detail what the term "localizing" means/encompasses, as used in this thread, especially with regard to Chinese character display?
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 15:33    Post subject:  

@ Irihapeti

just in from Lobster re: wiki review

Quote:
Great stuff - well needed - have made some edits to the 'how to use wiki' - mainly to simplify

Language section is great - use of thumbnails good
Have added link to my signature

Congrats to all involved - now we need more wiki editors - improver's
on News and manual pages . . .l and . . . and . . .

Smile

Lob

Aitch Very Happy

Edit:
I just edited a couple of typos, but I'm not familiar enough with what was there before Lobster's edits, so can you check this, please Irihapeti

Also, is this anything that can be linked to this thread, or can anyone help?

http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/miscellaneous/general/puppy-sites-what-are-these-pages

Aitch

Last edited by Aitch on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 15:52; edited 1 time in total
Irihapeti

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 15:51    Post subject:  

otropogo:

There's a mini-how-to here, with a focus on Italian: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=223742#223742

My understanding (I'm no expert) is that localisation is about having, as far as possible, the entire operating system in a different language.

If you just want Chinese character display, in browsers for example, there's information here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=510273243&t=26978 - message no. 3

I found that the location suggested for the font only works in Puppy 2.17. For later Puppies, I had to install it in /usr/share/fonts. Just copy (or symlink) the entire folder to this location. You may need to restart the X server or reboot in order to see the new font.

Aitch:
That's gratifying. I'll take a look and see what's been edited.

Irihapeti
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 18:34    Post subject:  

more wiki review feedback, this from WhoDo [not on the original list, but I added a few]
Quote:

It all looks great to me! Pass on my congratulations to your "shrinking violet" source. Razz

PS. I'm more of a Staffordshire Terrier than a Great Dane in the world of Puppy, but thank you for the promotion! Laughing

he he, my promotion, but worthy IMHO

PS: I hope you are going to add these reviews to the wiki Wink

Aitch Very Happy
Irihapeti

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 18:56    Post subject:  

Aitch:

I would feel more comfortable if the original posters in question, or you, were to add the replies to the WiKi. All of you have the necessary privileges to do so. Smile

I'm not quite sure how to go back and check what was there before Lobster's edits, but basically he has turned it more into an FAQ style of article, while still retaining the content. I'm happy with that. The main thing is to get the message across to otherwise-puzzled users.

Irihapeti

Last edited by Irihapeti on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 18:59; edited 1 time in total
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 18:57    Post subject:  

meagain Wink

Updated multi-language dictionary: PBDict2. with 76 dictionary database by MU for puppy 2/3/4

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7976

read the thread [short] for instructions & update info

Aitch

Edit: oops sorry, Irihapeti cross-posted you unintentionally,

Cool, hopefully they will looksee and if they feel like it, or at a later date, I may add it - it's all good, eh?
edit2: now, you did it to me Laughing
otropogo

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 19:12    Post subject:  

Irihapeti wrote:
otropogo:

My understanding (I'm no expert) is that localization is about having, as far as possible, the entire operating system in a different language.

Yes, that was my surmise also, after skimming through this thread. But others have raised doubts... Have looked through the Mini-how to and saved the thread for more careful review later, but it seems to confirm our understanding of the term.

Going on this assumption, I concluded that localization is vastly more difficult an undertaking than simply providing html display capability for foreign character sets in a single browser. Although, in the case of Chinese, that is no mean feat either. IIRC, the Chinese character support for Adobe Reader runs some 10 MB or more for traditional and simplified fonts combined.

Irihapeti wrote:
If you just want Chinese character display, in browsers for example, there's information here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=510273243&t=26978 - message no. 3

I found that the location suggested for the font only works in Puppy 2.17. For later Puppies, I had to install it in /usr/share/fonts. Just copy (or symlink) the entire folder to this location. You may need to restart the X server or reboot in order to see the new font.

Thanks for your links, and especially the installation instructions. I had seen this thread before, but hesitated to try the program without more specific direction.

But I've downloaded it now, and will give it a try shortly.

One thing that makes me nervous is the fact that (perhaps coincidentally) Sit's kai-pc.ttf fonts stopped working altogether on my Pup 4.0 system after I installed Bluefish 1.07
Irihapeti

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 19:35    Post subject:  

otropogo:

I don't know anything about kai-pc.ttf fonts, so I can't comment on that. I do know that I have bluefish installed in Puppy 4.00 with the 2.6.21-17 kernel and the wenquanyi font is still displaying correctly.

You may find that wenquanyi doesn't cover all characters. In that case, Bitstream cyberbit, Arial unicode and the Arphic series may help fill in the gaps. This page http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/ contains links to a number of font downloads.

Irihapeti
otropogo

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 20:07    Post subject:  

Thanks again for your help Irihapeti

Will read through the guide and try to add the fonts you mentioned as required
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2008, 21:05    Post subject:  

latest wiki review from pizzasgood

Quote:
Nope, never thought of myself as a great dane. Probably the closest to that would be timber wolf, but usually it's more of a mix between wolf, cheetah, and a kung-fu-monkey.

As for multi-lingual-puppy, I actually have nothing to do with that at all other than that I set up Japanese fonts once and I host the Japanese Puppy forum (and I still can't understand most of what goes on there, but I'm going to be working on that this year).

I looked through a couple pages anyways. The main thing that stood out to me is that in the 'background' page it said something happened 'this' summer. That should really say something like 'summer 2008', since in a year the 'this' would be incorrect.

I tried finding an 'edit' link to correct it, but failed. I don't think I have permission to edit those pages. I've never used the new wiki other than registering for an account so maybe I'm just missing something.

After further pm identifying, this has been edited
[Background - a) Smart Common Input Method and the GTK/QT Tool Kits]

more good feedback!

Thanks PG

Aitch Very Happy
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2008, 15:12    Post subject:  

@Irihapeti et al

Don't know if you are aware of this, or if it is useful to you

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31742

Irihapeti, further wiki comment from prehistoric, [another addition of mine]

Quote:
The two articles mentioned are acceptable as they stand. I have a tendency toward the verbose (prolix?) and have kept hands off. I have no criticism of the multiple languages entry at all.

For the entry on editing the wiki I have a small concern about the background of readers and the context in which they reach this page. Do they know the software they will be using is called Drupal? Are they already aware of what word wrap means? If not, telling them it is automatic is perversely uninformative.......

Thanks, prehistoric

Well, you did invite reviews......
Perhaps you could add/amend accordingly?

Aitch Very Happy
Irihapeti

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug 2008, 16:23    Post subject:  

Aitch:

prehistoric has a very good point. It's very easy for us who work with something every day to forget how bewildering it can be to new users. We tend to assume too much, and need a reminder to fill in the most basic details. I'm currently helping a family member to set up a Linux system and I'm running into this quite a bit. And the person is not stupid - far from it - simply unfamiliar with something very new to them.

I've done a minor edit. Take a look and comment if you wish.

Irihapeti
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug 2008, 19:28    Post subject:  

smile.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   23.75 KB
 Viewed   545 Time(s)

smile.gif

Aitch

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug 2008, 18:47    Post subject:  

Here's a story for Rameshji & Swarupji;

Hi Guys!! Very Happy

[Though it may well interest other readers]

An Indian firm is promoting their offer to supply schoolchildren with small laptops, called 'Electronic School Bags', or 'ESBs'
For the astounding price of Rs 1200 ($28.33 at today’s rates)!!
This is cheaper than the OLPC!

Read more:-

http://www.offbeatbuzz.com/technology/firm-offers-laptop-at-28-to-school-kids/

Aitch Smile
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2008, 16:53    Post subject:  

I see my elephant repellent is maybe a little too strong Wink

This new online word processor from Adobe may be useful?

http://www.adobe.com/acom/buzzword/

Aitch Very Happy
Page 35 of 41 [610 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: