Persistence and editing of /etc/modules.conf

Using applications, configuring, problems
berk0081

Persistence and editing of /etc/modules.conf

#1 Post by berk0081 »

Hi all,

I'm thoroughly stymied by this. I run Puppy 1.0.5 (Chubby) from HD by booting it from FreeDos, copying image.gz, vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs, rather than the full HD install. I need to add one alias to /etc/modules.conf to get my wireless card (which doesn't work with the normal wireless tools) recognized as wlan0.

So can anyone tell me how to go about making a permanent change to /etc/modules.conf in this situation? I have tried adding the line in /etc/modules.conf0 above and below the "Puppy will append stuff here" line, I've tried deleting /etc/modules.conf and rebooting, in hopes that it will be recreated by /etc/modules.conf0 as seems to be implied by the info in that file. In these cases, /etc/modules.conf pops back up like always without the line I need.

Lastly, I have tried deleting /etc/modules.conf from /mnt/ram1 and using save2image, but was not able to boot from that image.gz.

According to the info at the top of modules.conf/modules.conf0, I am permitted to edit the latter. Does this only count for a full hard disk install, and not work for the poor-man's install or flash users?

How and when is /etc/modules.conf created?

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
-m
Raising puppies since 1.04

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

From what I can recall, if you edit modules.conf0, it should stay
edited.

As a last resort you could edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
with some code to append something to /etc/modules.conf, before
doing anything involving wlan0.

#3 Post by Guest »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply. While changes to modules.conf0 do persist after a restart, it doesn't seem like they had any effect, as

#modprobe wlan0

was not successful.
For whatever reason that save2image* didn't work for me, I did manage to edit modules.conf and manually unzip and modify image.gz.

I can now load the module without difficulty on my rebuilt image.gz. But are you saying that modules.conf0 is also indexed by modprobe? I had assumed it was just read and used to build modules.conf.

Thanks for giving us Puppy,
-m

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you can put cp -f /etc/modules.conf0 /etc/modules.conf at the top of /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 ... or anywhere in rc.local0 or rc.local ... and it will copy modules.conf0 to modules.conf

i don't know if this will be useful or not ... i think if you copy modules.conf0 to modules.conf first and then modprobe wlan0 (maybe in rc.local), modprobe might use the configuration in modules.conf

anyway, option 1 Puppy does not seem to copy modules.conf0 to modules.conf