With HD install, booting live CD terrifies me every time

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
peppyy

With HD install, booting live CD terrifies me every time

#1 Post by peppyy »

I don't know why because you think I would have learned by now. Whenever I load a live cd on my main "PupTop" and I read the screen as it is booting I almost have a heart attack. I am running 1.0.3 with many mods on a hard drive install. Rock solid, exactly what I want and a lot of important files.

Near the end of the boot while trying out the 1.0.5 live cd I see, (updating from Puppy 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) or something to that effect. With my mind racing and my heart pounding I can't seem to remember that it is only updating the pup file used by the live cd until I have paniced and rebooted to the HD install, only to find it just as I left it. Fast and happy.

That said I have to tell you that I rather enjoy the overall setup of 1.0.5 and played for some time on my big machine. It is just "sick and wrong" how incredably fast it runs on a 2 ghz machine. Recoginized my sound, nic, video and burner right away. I am afraid however it may not be as stable as 1.0.4 since I locked it up several times and had to reset the computer.

It may very well be that there is a hardware issue on my MSI motherboard that causes this to happen. I find that it locks up when using mozilla and opening multiple browser windows or opening multiple copies of rox to drag files from one drive to another. I can say however that even when I need to press the reset button, it boots so fast, 25 sec. (even with the error checking) that it is more useable than my (Big Linux) I run all the time. I am prety sure that with a HD Install it would boot in around 12 seconds.

It would at this point only take a few more things to make it my main O/S on that machine too. Some programs, mostly graphics, and video drivers. I do a lot of digital photography and loading thumbnails with puppy is painfully slow even with GTKSee. I also noticed that MUT seems to load very slowly in 1.0.5 compaired with 1.0.3. There are things I would miss from Gnome and KDE like gthumb and k3b along with a bunch of apps that I really don't absouloutly need but tend to spend a lot of time with anyway.

Soon I will have 4 litters to compare side by side. I really hope that 1.0.5 will work on my new2me thinkpad 600e.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

syzygy

#2 Post by syzygy »

i've also had a couple of times when 1.05 has frozen. i seem to recall someone saying they were going back to fvwm as they thought it was a jwm issue. hope not, as i quite like the new config & jwm.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

I am using JWM now. It locked up on me once and I went back to fvwm95 which I consider rock solid. It was also one of those situations with loads of programs open and clicking like mad and it froze.

The thing is we used the very latest JWM and IF we can repeat a lockup AND feed back to Joe we can get this smaller wm working perfectly. It is not serious but 100% reliability is better and I do kinda prefer that . . . (no surprises there) :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 09 Oct 2005, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

peppyy

#4 Post by peppyy »

Since the type of Puppy Promos I do are about as hands on as they get, (Hand someone a wireless laptop and say have fun) I really lean toward the rock solid. One of the selling points to one of my clients was no crashing.

"If I get a Puppy Laptop am I going to have to reboot it all the time like this thing?

The only problem that one has had is during boot if there is more than 1 wireless network or none available it sometimes gets confused and you need to eject the card. I taught her all about WAG and you should hear her laugh when she is deciding which network to connect to. In fact, she tests them for speed online and usesd the fastest one.

I have ordered her several more items like a spare battery and a portable printer, (Wish I could get the IRDa working).
Puppy Linux...
It just works!