Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 06:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Back to Windows for me
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 19:33    Post_subject:  

oblivious wrote:
But that's Puppy's appeal - it doesn't have all of that annoying pretentious stuff. It might poo on the carpet but it's cute and can sit and roll over some of the time if it's in the mood. Much more fun than some perfectly trained dog at a dog show.

Laughing Well my Puppy's house trained, so the carpets stay nice and clean! He's still a puppy, though, and FUN is his middle name. Laughing

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 20:37    Post_subject:  

Quote:
You'd like automount, I wouldn't. Everybody has different equipment and preferences. You can't really expect them to be catered for by everybody
That's the whole point. He wants the OPTION to auto-mount. Just one little check-box next to each drive, defaulted to noauto. Then both sides can have their way.

I think that's something we should have.

As Bruce B mentioned in another thread, Rox Filer will read the /etc/fstab file and automatically mount any mountpoints you click on, and prompt to unmount them when you leave. Puppy could be set up to automatically add the needed data to /etc/fstab, and the check boxes could toggle the relevant field in that file.

@nap44: Part of the problem is that there are so many things that could be improved. Barry can't work on everything at once. If he only released when every single item was fixed, he'd never release it. Instead, he makes releases after he's finished a significant item or three. I don't know if you ever used Puppy 0.98. Things have improved a lot since then. Sure, there's still a good deal that could be improved, and it will be. Just not all at once.

And yes, if you want to fix something that's broken in Linux, you need to know a little about it. It's actually the exact same in MS-world, except you usually paid for your software so you can go back and make the people you paid fix it for you.

As for oblivious's comment about what is easier, I agree. I've only been using Linux for three years or so, but I already find Windows much more difficult to use. Mainly because I get used to the Linux ways of doing things and find that they don't work in Windows. Which is the same thing that happens for new Linux users, but in reverse.

You mentioned how well Windows has been running, and acknowledged that you run special utilities to keep it nice. That signifies that you've learned enough to figure out what needs to be done to keep it working. Well, the same thing applies to Linux. It takes time to learn how to deduce what a problem is and where to look for a solution. Eventually it starts to click.

Of course, if you don't want to spend that time, by all means go back to Windows. Even though I'd like to cook my own food every day, I don't have the time, so instead I eat at a dining hall. Same thing as Linux vs. Windows really. Making my own food would be a little healthier and a lot better tasting, and probably cheaper. The biggest difference is that my dining hall isn't attempting to take over the world or make life difficult for people who cook for themselves. Laughing

Edited_time_total
scotto_puppy

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 21:02    Post_subject:  

I have read every word of nap44's excellent dissertation and I have to agree with much of what he has to say. BUT: Puppy is a free distribution, written and maintained by enthusiasts, and in the main works wonderfully. As such, it fills the bill for me.

I have an EEE which runs XP on the primary partition and boots to Puppy on the SD by pressing ESC as it loads. I find myself using puppy more than XP and would dearly love to use Puppy as my primary os. However - no support for my usb wireless modem (yes I have read the forums but it is all too difficult for the likes of me) and no support for my favourite voip software.

So - I hug my pup daily for it's speed and freedom but I cling to my Microsoft OS for it's stability.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 21:13    Post_subject:  

When you get back to XP you can post when you complete
this game of Freecell............number 1941.

By the time you solve it Puppy should have a better version.

Chris.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 21:48    Post_subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
When you get back to XP you can post when you complete
this game of Freecell............number 1941.

By the time you solve it Puppy should have a better version.

Chris.

2.5 minutes? Hmmm... Better Be Home Soon lasted longer Razz

oblivious

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 22:19    Post_subject:  

[quote="Pizzasgood"]
Quote:
He wants the OPTION to auto-mount.

Oh yes, you're right. I'd just grabbed something as an example that people have different preferences that may not be catered for. That option would probably be a good thing, as you say.

[OP, another thought. I don't know whether you will persevere with it, but have a look at whether there's a basic Linux course at your local technical college, adult education centre or University extension programme. Ages ago, I did a short course on DOS at the local tech. At worst, you'll find out a bit about how things work. At best, you'll tap into another source of information.]
nap44

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr 2008, 23:03    Post_subject:  

Downloaded Freespire but won't boot. BusyBox message and
/bin/sh: can't access TTY; Job control turned off ???????????????????????
Also in Muppy. Some sub menus are in German. Did I mention attention to detail somewhere?

Not criticisms, just observations!
Cheers Sad

[quote="oblivious"]
Quote:
Oblivious gave me a heads up with his reference to Freespire and I’ve had a look at the site a few hours ago.

I've never actually looked at the Freespire site, but the program itself is very slick and glossy and looks like it might have ironed out a lot of hardware issues
oblivious

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 00:13    Post_subject:  

nap44 wrote:
Downloaded Freespire but won't boot.

Oh, dear Crying or Very sad . Maybe you should stick with Windows, your computer obviously hates Linux distros and is trying to tell you something. Just kidding Laughing . (I got that error message on my new computer, maybe try "irqpoll" at the boot prompt?)

(I thought I read somewhere on here about fixing german appearing in Muppy, but vielleicht nicht.)
MU

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 01:07    Post_subject:  

you need to provide more details, please.
If you have german submenus, there are 2 possible reasons:

a) this is a bug.
I would need more info, which program, and maybe a screenshot.

b) you use a "DE" Iso, not the "EN" Iso.
DE is for german only, EN is english.
You cannot use the DE Iso completely in english, as some programs have german hardcoded in it.
Please use EN.
I also would need to now which version you use (008 , 008.2), Standard or Mini.

Mark

d4p

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 01:52    Post_subject:  

A better hope for linux

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2002/09/27/china-launches-linux--dragon-chip-challenges-intel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson
gary101

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 02:38    Post_subject:  

The Linux vs Windows debate is as old as............ Well, as old as Linux and Windows.

I think I have heard argument for both sides more than I wish to recall. I think it useful now and again to remember where Linux started.

A group of individuals who decided to contribute to a project to produce a working operating system that could be freely used and distributed. Anybody could join and have their say about additions and modifications. Sounds to me just like what happens still with Puppy.

It has been said in this post and elsewhere that Linux is not Windows. It has also been said that Linux is not ready to be an alternative as a desktop operating system. I think the comment that is missing is that the user is not ready for Linux.

Anyone using a Linux operating system is faced with two options: To bemoan lack of driver support etc or actually to help do something about it. The comments that I find common to all posts is something along the lines of "its to difficult to use" or "this or that doesn't work".

Linux is an enthusiasts operating system, those enthusiasts want to learn more about the operating system and the way it works and a majority of them enjoy tinkering. There is nothing wrong with someone preferring to pay for and use a commercial product, some people prefer package holidays, I prefer to get off the beaten track and do what I want to do rather than what a holiday company wants me to get involved in.

So to those who try Linux and want to go back to the land of M$, I wish you well, at least you tried it, it was not for you, but please don't knock it. It was never what you thought it was in the first place.

(probably my longest post ever, now I am off on holiday!)

All the best

Gary
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 05:06    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I think it useful now and again to remember where Linux started.

Linux, per se, was merely another, albeit inspired, PhD project. All that GNU-ey stuff started as a separate concept. Good fortunate caused the two to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts, too.
Stallman & Torvalds may yet get to visit Stockholm - or even Oslo! Give it another decade?

Excuse taking the opportunity to demonstrate the correct usage of those homophones that even cause problems to our own Dear Leader!
john biles

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 11:12    Post_subject:  

Hello Everyone and nap44,
Here's an idea? What if nap44 listed all his hardware and we tried to see if it would be possible to get it all working.
It might be easier than we think.

It might serve as an interest experiment to future Linux User's?

Also nap44 if Windows XP is so great, why are you trying out different versions of Linux?

capoverde

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 11:48    Post_subject:  

Nice one John, that's the right positive attitude in our community! It's everybody's advantage when things go well for all.

(Er... however, just to be realistic, it might also be harder than we think Shocked)
furryfriend

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 15:01    Post_subject:  

what would aj say ?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot