How to build a head/headless, multimedia, file, and print

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
lindylex

How to build a head/headless, multimedia, file, and print

#1 Post by lindylex »

Circa 2008/February
Author: Lex Peters

How to build a head/headless, multimedia, file, and print server + plus, using Puppy Linux:

Hardware Requirements

- Designated Desktop or Laptop
I used a Pentium I, 199 MHZ, with 96 megs of ram.
- Desirable Audio output
- Ethernet Cable
– Wireless/Wired Router
– Key Board can be removed later
– Mouse can be removed later
– Monitor can be removed later
– Optional Large LCD television
– Another computer to use as a remote control
– A stereo receiver/ tuner
– Some speakers

Software Requirements

- Puppy Linux
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=1

If your computer is a Pentium II or earlier I recommend using the retro version of Puppy Linux.
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso

If you have a Pentium III or newer I would suggest using
puppy-3.01-seamonkey.iso

The Puppy advantage?

I initially attempted this with Damn Small Linux (D.S.L) but it was way to much work.

- The Puppy advantage is that it boots directly into a graphical window manager JWM (Joe’s Window Manager). With D.S.L. you have to login through the terminal every time you turn the computer, why!?
- No nags with passwords because it give you root access right away.
- It’s really fast with older hardware, D.S.L. is also.
- The A.L.S.A. sound wizard is very good at configuring your audio card and loading the right modules so you don’t have audio problems.
- The O.S. has mp3 capabilities enabled right away.
- There is a lot of good software that you can install, i.e. bittorent client (PupCtorrent, Transmission), Instant Messenger client (Gaim), Web Browser (SeaMonkey) etc.
- The engineers of Puppy are damn good.
- There is lots of really good support and community for Puppy
- You save money less junk and clutter, and you getter better results, you win win win.

Why do this?

- You should do this if you don’t like going over to the stereo to change the song.
- You have a nice television or monitor that you use for watching movies and playing console video games.
- Most of your movies and audio file are in a digital format.
- You have one printer and want to share it, or print from anywhere in your home.
- You don’t want to burn out your main computer’s hard drive with lots of bittorent downloading and uploading.
- You need a central place to backup and share files.
- You find it stupid to buy designated hardware for one thing when all they are is computers, and you have one already that can do what they sell it for, and better. I place lots of emphasis on better.

Protocol

1. Download and burn one of the .iso cd image from the link above.

2. Bootup the O.S., you might need to modify your BIOS when your computer boots up, to allow you to boot from a c.d. This is very easy to do. Just hit F2, F8 or the Del key. Then change the boot order.

3. Once Puppy is installed to memory, we need to install it to the hard drive. Go to the Menu/Setup/Puppy Universal Installer, then choose IDE (ATA) internal hard drive.

4. You may need to format the drive, and Puppy shows you a command to use. I don't remember exactly, but I think it starts with the letter c or x. You need to click on the "console" icon and type the command in then choose "/dev/hda1", harddrive. I usually delete it then select write. Then I choose it again and choose format type ext2 and make it a primary under type.

Another choice is to type the following command to format the hard drive.

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hda1

5. Once this is formatted you can try to install it again using #3's instruction.
6. Reboot the computer with the C.D. out of the drive.
7. You need to edit the Grub boot loader file so it does not wait for you to hit enter to start loading the O.S. each time you reboot.

/boot/grub/menu.lst

look for this line

#timeout 30

change it to

timeout 5

Notice that I remove the # in front of the timeout 5. This is important because anything after the # is ignored.

7b. Initialize your internet connection.
Click on the connect icon on the desktop this will Internet Connection Wizard. Click the button “Connect to Internet by network interface…
Last edited by lindylex on Wed 30 Apr 2008, 04:15, edited 3 times in total.

paulh177

#2 Post by paulh177 »

I've created a similar setup a couple of times but this is nice and clear. Just a caveat:
Am I correct in understanding that Puppy 3.x was the only series binary-compatible with Slackware?
If so, unless Gslapt will work with 2.x and 4.x Puppies and resolve all dependencies, this configuration -- if you follow it to the letter --(because it utilises Slackware packages) will probably only work with Puppy 3.x
Could be done of course with Puppy-compiled packages.
Last edited by paulh177 on Thu 17 Apr 2008, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

lindylex

#3 Post by lindylex »

Paulh177, when I attempted this I needed to install x11vnc. I could not find a Puppy linux install file for X11vnc. So I found a link mentioning that Puppy 3.0 can install Slackware packages. I installed the package using the Slackware package manager and it works. Version 3.0 is the first to support Slackware package manager and I am unsure it is backward compatible. If I am incorrect, please elaborate someone.

Thanks, Lex