Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nutts4life

#16 Post by nutts4life »

ve2kn,

On the majority of distrobutions of puppy, you have the option at startup to choose, xorg or xvesa. Which one do you choose normally?

What other puppy puplets have you tried?

Thanks,

n4l

Ray MK

#17 Post by Ray MK »

Hi n4l

Have just seen your reply and had already installed conky 1.4.5 'cos it worked well with 2.14 TeenPup and Dingo4b1 - but does not work, will not start with Pupeez, but is in menu without me having to try "fixmenu"

However torsmo still works - but not by using console - had to find execute file and click that.

Think I may have broken something as torsmo flashes and dissapears intermitently.

Tried to uninstall conky - but could not see how. "petbegone" maybe?

Osmo installed and is working fine, no menu entry, so found execute and dragged it to the desktop. need to find a nice icon now.

Not sure about mail client with osmo, but Dingo4b1 has a later version and I think it does more things - not played with it yet.

Not sure but Dingo4beta2 (3.99) may have an even later version also.

Did you use the latest version of hotpup as I think the earlier one had a few minor bugs, sometimes did a few unexpected things.

Had to use Pmount before I could copy or move files between drives.

I also like Opera, as you say, it is small and fast.

Many thanks again for making Pupeez - superb, especially for n00b's like me

Best regards - Ray MK

ttuuxxx

Re: PUPEEZ wont run

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

ve2kn wrote:Neither xvesa nor xwin will run on my FIC VA503+/ old ATI video board machine (500 MHz). All the other Puppy variants I've tried run fine. Too bad! It sounds like I might have enjoyed this distro.
Just wondering something, when I try to get tv-out working with puppy it takes a bit, basically you run the xorg video settings, then you select test, then you select generic drivers, thats what works with me, it might work with you also??
well give it a shot and see what happens. ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tinawina

A little help getting wifi working on Pupeez -?

#19 Post by tinawina »

Sorry to bug.... I really like Puppy and I really REALLY like Pupeez. Love the interface and how fast it loads. I have about a 7 or 8 year old Sony Vaio that creaks and groans under W-XP. I've been trying out various Linux distributions for a few years, but always run into this problem with getting online.

I ran into this post that describes a way to get the USB WiFi adapter I'm using (a TP-LINK TL-WN620G) to work on Puppy: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... d7b029257e

It doesn't work for me in Puppy. Thought I'd give it a try with Puppeez, but I also get an error there - can't find any wireless network interface.

I posted a note to the response by push77 (see link above). If there's anything to consider about this that is specific to Pupeez I'm all ears. Any help you can offer - much appreciated!

roark37

#20 Post by roark37 »

Hello,

I am very new to Linux as a whole and I just downloaded this Pupeez 1.0 iso. I just wanted to try it first as a live cd. It did work fine but I was not able to connect to the internet. Does it have to be configured for that first? And where do you do that? Under setup I did not see anything like Ethernet Wizard as in another Puppy version I used. The closest thing was more of a general Puppy Set up, is that where you go to set up your network connection? Also, assuming I can get the ethernet set up, when I go to close and I have the option to save a file, will that file save my configurations even if using only the live cd? Then the next time using the live cd will it go right to the old set up without having to set it all up again? I know these are really basic questions but I am fascinated by all these Puppy derivatives I have just discovered. Next will likely be the one that resembles the Mac OS. For most or all these derivatives will they work the same in that they are all based on Puppy so once I learn how to set up, configure, save, install, etc it will be the same on all?

Thank you for your help.

roark

ttuuxxx

#21 Post by ttuuxxx »

roark37 wrote:Hello,

I am very new to Linux as a whole and I just downloaded this Pupeez 1.0 iso. I just wanted to try it first as a live cd. It did work fine but I was not able to connect to the internet. Does it have to be configured for that first? And where do you do that? Under setup I did not see anything like Ethernet Wizard as in another Puppy version I used. The closest thing was more of a general Puppy Set up, is that where you go to set up your network connection? Also, assuming I can get the ethernet set up, when I go to close and I have the option to save a file, will that file save my configurations even if using only the live cd? Then the next time using the live cd will it go right to the old set up without having to set it all up again? I know these are really basic questions but I am fascinated by all these Puppy derivatives I have just discovered. Next will likely be the one that resembles the Mac OS. For most or all these derivatives will they work the same in that they are all based on Puppy so once I learn how to set up, configure, save, install, etc it will be the same on all?

Thank you for your help.

roark
Usually the save file happens when you click shutdown, it starts the Pup_save script. You can specify the file size 512mb is the best option but 128mb also works, It won't interfere with windows either if thats what on your hdd, you can also manually delete it if you wish. Once the save script is saved puppy/variants will automatically boot straight to the desktop remembering all the initial settings.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nutts4life

#22 Post by nutts4life »

raymk,

I'll start with your questions first.

I think the problems with torsmo could be down to starting torsmo from the command line. I think it may lose focus continually on rox unless it is started before the window manager.

Therefore try this:
- open /root/.xinitrc in your favorite text editor
- The lastish line should read: exec $CURRENTWM
- BEFORE this line put: /usr/local/torsmo/torsmo &

Then restart your PC.

I can't run my iso as i'm in the office, but can you also check that the following files exits in the /root directory:
run: ls -a in a terminal

.torsmo_ip AND .torsmorc

You can uninstall conky by gonig to the puppy-software-installer, going to the orginial interface and removing your installed pet. (assuming you used a .pet file).

I have dingo 4b3 and i'm looking at how it is configured with Osmo.

As for hotpup. I got this version of hotpup directly from the coder as this is the correct version for puppy 2.17. There have been problems in the past with the differing behaviour of the xandr exec as xorg progressed.

I haven't had any problems with hotpup. I must admit it can take 10 seconds or so to recognise the device.

If you want it quicker then run pmount from the terminal as you have done already.

I hope this all helps,

n4l

nutts4life

#23 Post by nutts4life »

First for roark37's question:

Sounds like you have found out the way to set up your internet fine.

ttuuxxx is right. Puppy is seriously clever, the operating system is stored and works from one file called pup_217.sfs, you will see this file if you look on the CD. But in order to save changes or configurations then it needs to create another file called pup_save.sfs.

It's up to you where you want to save this file, but it obviously can't be on your CD! A USB stick or your Hard drive.

When you shutdown pupeez / puppy for the first time, it will ask you whether you want to make one of these configuration files. Click yes, choose the size of the file. If you have lots of space on the drive to are saving to, then make it 512Mb - 1Gb. Choose Normal compression.

If you have a limited amount of RAM (between 128Mb - 512Mb ram) then be a little more careful about how big this file is. the smaller the file, the more likely it will load into RAM with the Operating System.
You can always extend it later, using the menu option in puppy.

That will save any settings or modifications you have made to pupeez.
On bootup it will search for the file and load it again.

I admit that the startup and shutdown of pupeez is a little bit perplexing for a first time user, but once you've got past the inital stages, your fine.

Thanks,
n4l

nutts4life

#24 Post by nutts4life »

tinawina,

Don't underestimate the complete pain in the a**e USB wireless sticks are to setup in linux. But it should be possible as long as the drivers work with ndiswrapper.

Your card is base on the Atheros chipset, which are famous for there compatability with linux, so we're on a good start.

So just to explain. Puppy has alot of pre-loaded drivers which cover alot of popular built-in ethernet and wireless cards. When the ethernet wizard starts, it searchs for something close enough and can select totally the wrong driver.

Why? Becuase you want to use the driver you have from the disk.

Ndiswrapper is a add-on for any kind of driver which allows you to use Windows drivers with linux. It's smart but not perfect, and there are still lots and lots of windows drivers which won't work with it.

First of all, the description of the driver that Blackadder posted on that thread, seemed quite old as it only coverd linux kernels up to 2.6.18.x pupeez runs on 2.6.21.x. First of all, i would try and get the very latest drivers for the device from the makers website.

Next open the ethernet wizard, without the USB stick in. Do you have any other ethernet devices? Are they recognized? Note down which driver has been selected for them.

Close the wizard, plug in your wireless dongle ( you might have to restart the pc). Then go back into the ethernet wizard.

Has the usb stick been detected? Has it been alocatted a driver? If so, what driver has it been given (it should be some kind of funny looking code). Note that down.

Close the ethernet wizard, open a terminal and run:
modprobe -r <name of driver>

Now re-open the ethernet wizard and it should have disappered. Now go-to load driver, choose ndiswrapper and choose the .inf file from the drivers cd. If it's unsuccessful, go through the remove method again, and try a different driver. Once it's successful, get setting up the wireless connection.

good luck,

n4l.

roark37

#25 Post by roark37 »

Thanks N4l & ttuuxxx for your answers. Unfortunately I am still a little confused. When the sfs file is saved the next time you boot into the puplet I will still need the live cd right? And if the live cd is not in it will just boot to normal windows correct? The sfs file will just speed up the boot by not having to set up everything again? As far as the setting the size of this file I am using an old 800mhz celeron pc with Windows ME that has 384k ram but lots of free hard drive space. For now I am just interested in having the configuration all saved to speed up boot time and include some favorites in the browser. Would 128k ram be enough or would you recommend more? Also is the default on this(or any) puplet to load completely into ram if possible or do I need to do the pfix=ram at boot? Also, if I try other puplets like Fire Hydrant or Macpuppy will each have its own sfs file or do they all share the same one?

Lastly, I still have not got the internet set up. When you say I figured it out does that mean it is under setup/Puppy setup and then in there one of the choices will be ethernet?

Thanks again for your help.

roark

nutts4life

#26 Post by nutts4life »

roark,

I just looked at your post count. May i just say welcome to puppy forums and puppy. I promise you you'll never look back.

Right onto some real work:
The Puppy iso/ live cd is made of only a couple of files, the main one being pup_xxx.sfs file. This contains all the good stuff to get puppy running, like programs, shell etc.
all the files in the live cd are specific to the version of puppy you are using. Mine is pup_217.sfs and it contains all the workings on pupeez based on puppy.

But before i start talking talking. The wiki has lots of info. Here's lots of info:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy

Then take a look at this:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/howPuppyWorks
Ok, it's a little technical, but i think you will get the idea.

Now the pup_xxx.sfs file is not editable and is essential to load the OS. So yes you have to use your livecd all the time. If you use the pfix=ram option then it will force the boot to put this pup_xxx.sfs file into ram every time. This means that once it's loaded you can take the cd out! Which is very possible with your specs.

What you need to do now is run pupeez, then click shutdown. At this point a blue screen will appear asking you if you would like to save your data. Click yes and follow the info i gave above. This save file will be called pup_save.sfs and you can save it to your hard drive or usb stick or whatever. When puppy boots again off the CD it will try and find this file and open your saved settings.

The ethernet settings, exist under the Puppy Setup Wizard.

Keep asking the questions.... It's what learning is all about.

Thanks,

n4l

roark37

#27 Post by roark37 »

Thanks N4l, both for your answers and the nice welcome.

I am at work now but hope to experiment with this later this week. I think I understand how the saved sfs file works now. Is having the saved file any sort of security risk though? And is there any reasonable way that it could cause problems with the regular Windows boot? If I understood your answer each puplet will have its own sfs file right? So far I have purposely only experimented with live cd's and have had no issues with the regular system as I have been too intimidated to try a full install of any linux. I have found it difficult to get the full experience with just the live cd however, especially on the bigger distros. The last I tried was PClinux and the live cd worked very well once fully booted but setup and running from the cd took several minutes to get going. I know this is a Puppy forum but do you think PClinux or Ubuntu for example would boot much faster installed and is it safe to say that most(if not all) linux distros will usually boot faster than Windows? My current Windows ME boots in around 90 seconds.

If I do save the sfs file can I assume that the next time booting off the live cd it will boot much faster since there is less set up? And how will that boot up time compare to a "real" install of Puppy or puplet? Lastly, is it recommended to load to ram at boot and will that make the boot time longer? Once fully loaded to ram though I would think it should fly.

Sorry for so many questions but thanks again for all your help.

roark

bosley

#28 Post by bosley »

If you boot with the "puppy pfix=ram" option your savefile will be ignored! Puppy usually loads completely into ram if possible.

After booting from the puppy cd the uncompressed filesystem (pup_xxx.sfs on the cd) "appears".
Booting that file from the harddisk is faster, as the harddisk is faster than a cd (and a cd faster than cdrw).

HTH

tinawina

TP-link still not connecting

#29 Post by tinawina »

Hi and thanks n4l for responding to my cry for help. :)

Read through your post and did the following. I still can't connect:

Downloaded drivers from the TP-link website (only one package available).

Started up Puppeez without my USB wifi adapter plugged in.

I have no other ethernet devices so there was nothing to look for there.

Plugged in my USB wifi adapter and opened up the ethernet wizard. The adapter was not detected. (I did this all again with the adapter plugged in after restarting the computer - also didn't work.)

I did the load driver/ndiswrapper routine. I have two .INF files in my driver folder: net5523.inf (there's also a .cat with this label) and athfmwdl.inf (there's also a .sys and .cat with this label).

I loaded the net5523 driver first (which was suggested in a different post). It loaded but was unsuccessful -- no adapter appeared to configure.

I then loaded the athfmwdl driver. That too loaded but was unsuccessful.

So that's where I am now. Couple of things. The TP-Link driver zip archive includes drivers for Windows 2000/XP (those are the ones I used), and for Windows NT and Windows 98. My old sony has XP on it so I went with the XP drivers. Should I try a different set of drivers?

Is there a PCMCIA card or USB wifi adapter that is just a no-brainer to set up and use with Puppy/Puppeez? I am happy to shell out a few bills to just get this thing done. I like a fight - but I've lost this one (getting linux and internet access to play together) so many times in the past....

Appreciate any ideas, insight, words of encouragement. :) Thanks!

nutts4life

#30 Post by nutts4life »

roark37,

bosley is right, i forgot that using pfix=ram will ignore your save file, so don't use that option.

My advice would be keep looking at the forums and wikki to get more understanding of what you are trying to acheive.

You seem very keen to get a fast boot time, I can't promise puppy can offer over the likes of something like Damn Small Linux. but it will be quicker than the likes of PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu.

I don't really want to compare Puppy to Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, becuase it's a different market. Yes they are both linux, but they are quite different beasts interms of size and end goal.
Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS have LiveCD's, but are really made for installation to your hard disk.
Puppy has a liveCD, which i admit is slower than a harddisk install, but because of puppies ability to load itself into RAM. Makes it very very clever.

So to understand more look at this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16954
and
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FrugalvsFullinstall
and
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Installing
and
http://puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

they all say the same thing, but in different ways, so need for me to explain.

What I beleive you need to do is a frugal install of puppy onto your hard disk.
My personal preference would be to create a small (2gb) FAT 32 partition on your hard drive (remember to defrag Windows first). And then do a frugal install into this partition.

Your next issue would be Grub, please and i mean please, look and understand what Grub is. If you want to have Windows AND linux on your Hard disk, what ever the distro you will have to use it. PLEASE, look and understand what it does.

You're getting there!

n4l

nutts4life

#31 Post by nutts4life »

tinawina,

by the sounds of it, those drivers aren't so linux friendly.

I would do one of two things:

1/ Keep searching all over the web for how to get your usb drivers working in linux. You may find something.
2/ You could buy a new one, but i hate that idea. In fairness, if you are using a PC (with PCI slots). Just buy a linux compatible wireless PCI card. The words: networking and USB were never meant to be together.
I like to think of it as:
ethernet and networking is a core functionality of a PC, why would plug it in, like it's something i might use every so often.

BTW, remove the email option from your profile and add where you are in the world.

n4l

T_Hobbit

#32 Post by T_Hobbit »

Just miss Gnumeric and a real chat program. And maybe the reboot option... not sure...
Besides that, great work!

nutts4life

#33 Post by nutts4life »

T_hobbit,

I had a tough time with gnumeric and pidgin. Mainly for the space they take up.

gnumeric is pretty useless without the extra plugins and it added 5mb to the sfs file. Which puts it over the 60Mb limit (for running on a 128Mb RAM computer).
With Pidgin, i thought meebo was so good and that you wouldn't chat unless you were online, it was a good light weight choice.

How ever you look at it, don't hestitate to install gnumeric and pidgin yourself.

I'm glad you like the puplet. I think in the next release i'm going to look at trying to cut back even further to make room for osmo and maybe pidgin.

this means i may have to remove printing support. Any thoughts?

n4l

T_Hobbit

#34 Post by T_Hobbit »

And what about Siag Office? And how much it takes the new chat program of Puppy4beta?
Printing support off? Definitively no!

tinawina

TP-Link USB: Pupscan Interface Info recognizes...something

#35 Post by tinawina »

I'm still not online with my TP-Link usb adapter. I used the Pup-scan Interface Information tool to see if anything was being recognized. When I click on USB devices I see this:
Manufacturer=Atheros Communications Inc
Product=AR5523
SerialNumber=1.0
Vendor ID=0cf3 ProductID=0002 KERNEL-MODULE=(none)
I also scrounged up a pretty old Linksys PCMCIA card (WPC54G -- guessing it's version 1 because there's no version number showing on the card). Here's what shows for that:
PCI scan utility scanpci not available. This must be a
cutdown Puppy (scanpci is part of the Xorg package).
Simplified information only is displayed here:

02:00.0 028000 14E4:4320 <>
01:00.0 030000 1002:4C4D <>
00:0c.1 060700 1180:0478 <yenta_cardbus>
00:0c.0 060700 1180:0478 <yenta_cardbus>
00:0a.0 078000 14F1:2443 <>
00:09.0 040100 1073:0010 <Yamaha DS-1 PCI>
00:08.0 0C0010 104D:8039 <>
00:07.3 068000 8086:7113 <piix4_smbus>
00:07.2 0C0300 8086:7112 <uhci_hcd>
00:07.1 010180 8086:7111 <PIIX_IDE>
00:07.0 060100 8086:7110 <>
00:01.0 060400 8086:7191 <>
00:00.0 060000 8086:7190 <agpgart-intel>
I don't know what any of this really means. Is one of these adapters more likely to get me online? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

P.S. I'm looking into other adapter options and came across this one: Comtrend RT2500 54 Mbps Wireless PCMCIA card (Ralink RT2500 chipset, for which there is a GPL driver, with no proprietary firmware needed). Wondering if this might be an answer - any thoughts?