Dingo for the EEE pc

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeinrichmond

Dingo for the EEE pc

#1 Post by mikeinrichmond »

Haven't seen anyone else post about trying Dingo 3.99 on the EEE yet. So EEE owners here's a head's up:

1. Make sure you download the atl2 module if using a wired
connection bacuse the module for the EEE is not pre-loaded.
You have to goto 'connect' then 'load' click 'more' then type atl2.
Works fine after that. (Haven't tried wireless yet).

2. To get the sound to work properly you have to edit the file
modprobe.conf in the /etc/ directory. The last line should say:
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig then save it. Reboot
and the sound should work now.

Thanks goes to the original poster(s) from whom I cobbled this info together.

BTW I have Opera 9.23 working fine in Dingo 3.99 so far. Prefer it to Seamonkey.

One 'bug' report. As the desktop is starting and Hotpup is bringing up the different drive icons, my external monitor resets with each new icon added. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks
Puppy Power! :lol:

Asus EEE Pc 2G Surf w/ Pupeee 3 on SSD
8G Transcend class 6 SD card
500Gb WD USB HDD

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

The first thing I did was use the universal install to put Dingo Beta 2
on a USB key drive and boot from it on the Eeepc.

It worked OK apart from the scrunched up icons, which I reported
for Beta 1 and Barry moved the hotpup icons to the right
(which does not seem to be happening) as a solution.

My main point of interest is wifi support out of the box
Tempestuous has a solution but it is not implemented by default
(the Eeepc uses a customised wifi module)

Have you got wifi working?
Ethernet connection works fine.

I must say that 90% of my computing ability
is being internet connected . . .

Also be aware of Breezy and Pupeee puplets for the Eeepc
I am sure you are . . . :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EeePC
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

There are a lot of issues with HotPup. Perhaps it should be off by default, with an option to turn it on and off?
In fact, there could be an icon on the desktop, with an info text that says "click me to toggle HotPup on and off"
...what do you reckon?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

The first thing I would do is put hotpup on
- those having issues (unless they are overwhelming)
can turn it off :)

Hotpup is obvious (to new users) mounting is geekery
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

boot parameter

#5 Post by raffy »

The internal SSD of the eeePC gets identified as "hdc" by Puppy. One workaround suggested is to use "hdc=noprobe" at boot so that the SSD gets identified as a USB device, and comes up (correctly) as "sda".

Hey, guys, please try this with Dingo 3.99 and see what comes up (I don't have my eeePC right now).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dvw86

#6 Post by dvw86 »

BarryK wrote:There are a lot of issues with HotPup. Perhaps it should be off by default, with an option to turn it on and off?
In fact, there could be an icon on the desktop, with an info text that says "click me to toggle HotPup on and off"
...what do you reckon?
I've been toying with this myself since the Eeepc does have a few unusual constrains like a very small screen and lots of partitions by default. So far the best solution I have come up with is to write my own auto mounter. Turning Hotpup on and off is not that seamless since it requires a restart of the X server and it writes to /root./.xinitrc. We really should not be writing to that file and turning on and off a drive mounter should not require restarting X.

8Geee

#7 Post by 8Geee »

Owning an Eee, one option could be made availible to wipe the Eee linux, and substitute in the puppy os as boot part and program part. Naturally, the program loads to RAM, and changes can be optioned to USB, SD, Internal, etc. People with a 2G model need every millimeter of space.

Hedgehog

Re: boot parameter

#8 Post by Hedgehog »

raffy wrote:The internal SSD of the eeePC gets identified as "hdc" by Puppy. One workaround suggested is to use "hdc=noprobe" at boot so that the SSD gets identified as a USB device, and comes up (correctly) as "sda".

Hey, guys, please try this with Dingo 3.99 and see what comes up (I don't have my eeePC right now).
In Pupeee grub file I have "hdc=noprobe" now my ssd shows up hdc1, so still not showing up as usb.

I am considering installing dingo, I need

CAC (command access card) access for DOD (department of defense) (i have instructions for install)
ipod shuffle
digital cam
prefer firefox because of add-ons
java
flash

I am deploying to Iraq at end of year and need my Eeepc running in tip top shape.

adric22

#9 Post by adric22 »

I'm glad to see people are working on this. I just installed pup-eee 3.01 on my eee-pc yesterday. I got so fed up with the built-in xandros not connecting to wi-fi properly. Half of the time I'd get the dreaded "pending..." problem. So I wiped the entire HD and installed a customized version of XP I found on the pirate bay that is very small and fast, and put a dual boot with Pup-EEE 3.01. To be honest, I think I prefer using Pup-eee.

I just wish Xine were more stable. Every unit I've ever tried Puppy on (desktops and laptops), Xine is unstable. It usually works okay if you don't try resizing or stopping and staring the video much.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing 4.0 running on the eee-pc. I'll upgrade mine as soon as somebody has a customized ISO. (I'm too lazy to play with thngs these days.. A family and a full-time job tend to leave little time for hacking. I need things to just work.)

drbongo

Puppy 4 working on the eeepc!

#10 Post by drbongo »

I have managed to get Puppy 4 working on the eeepc with Wireless networking, brightness etc. I simply downloaded the necessary drivers from the pupeee website and did a remaster. Installed it to a USB pen, booted the eeepc and installed it to the internal SSD. The only thing I could not get to work was the sound, but it looks like the author of the first post in this thread has a solution to that. I will try it when I get my eeepc back next week.

drbongo