Puppy barking won't shut up; HP Slate 500

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
StormCoder

Puppy barking won't shut up; HP Slate 500

#1 Post by StormCoder »

Every time I turn puppy on I have to go through this (I don't use save files by the way), once I close the wizard the bark sound starts playing and doesn't stop making a loop, I open the sound wizard and click the Stop Sound button and the bark stops, if I click Play Test Sound it starts again and I have to stop, anyways, that is affecting the whole system, when I try to play a video or a song the same thing happens, it keeps looping the first second of the media, on Youtube, pMusic, etc. SOMETIMES I'm able to fix it by switching the sound card to my secondary card, playing the test bark on it and then switching back to the primary card and playing the bark again then uncheck the "Master" option on Retrovol and checking back, then it fixes by magic and the sound starts working again, but this time it's not working anymore! I've tried rebooting several times, how do I fix this?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It might help if you told us which version of Puppy and exactly how you do use it. :) You don't use a Save file, does that mean you did a full install?

StormCoder

#3 Post by StormCoder »

I'm using the latest version of slacko from the puppy website, not sure which one.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

What is the sound hardware?
menu->System->Pup-sysinfo->Devices->Audio
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

anikin

Re: Puppy barking won't shut up; HP Slate 500

#5 Post by anikin »

StormCoder wrote:Every time I turn puppy on I have to go through this (I don't use save files by the way), once I close the wizard the bark sound starts playing and doesn't stop making a loop ...
One step at a time - getting rid of the barking sound.
If you don't use save, you are supposed to have *remastered* your Puppy with the following steps. To get rid of the barking sound, create a file named "delayedrun_firstboot_flag" and put it in these 2 locations: /tmp and /var/local. Also, create another file named "personal_settings_popup_disabled" and put in /etc. These flags will prevent /usr/sbin/welcome1stboot & /usr/sbin/quicksetup scripts from running at boot time.

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

I'm afraid that getting rid of the barking sound will not solve the issue. The reason why Puppy plays a barking sound at startup is to test if the sound card is working properly. It is exactly the same test as performed in Sound Wizard. If sound plays continuously, then of course it is not working properly. The problem seems to be a known issue (see the remark in the Sound Wizard dialog). I couldn't find any explanation in the code why this remark was added and which "some hardware" had shown this issue.

Since your secondary sound card seems to work fine it might be worth considering to make this card the default.
Attachments
soundwizard.png
(35.87 KiB) Downloaded 652 times

anikin

#7 Post by anikin »

My point was 1) stop the barking; 2) check to see if there's a common sound issue in all Puppies. And there seems to be a bigger issue there. Have a look at what jist is saying in this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 611#901611 An important directory with alsactl tools has been lost in Woof and yet we are still playing with these home-grown and useless tools like Sound Wizard and Retrovol. They serve no purpose. My research of audio in Linux clearly states, that alsamixer is the tool for solving your sound issues. It has enough controls and options to turn the average Joe Beercan into a decent sound engineer :) What I'd do first is reinstall the alsa-utils package, then type alsamixer in the terminal and the problem is (hopefully) solved. On some rare occasions, though some additional Googling might be needed. Here's a similar discussion in this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107160

edit Added more pictures and made them smaller in size.
Attachments
alsamixer_f1.jpeg
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
alsamixer_f2.jpeg
(22.35 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
alsamixer_f6.jpeg
(21.82 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
alsamixer_pcm.jpeg
(26.01 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
alsamixer_timers.jpeg
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 495 times