1.0.3 Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
Lobster
Official Crustacean

1.0.3 Bugs

#1 Post by Lobster »

8)

In fvwm and Icewm I am getting "refresh flicker" - JWM and fluxbox are fine.
This seems to happen because in the second set of menus, fvwm is turning off each menu item before displaying the next one. Hope I have explained that correctly.

PS.
An official Puppy that does not touch the Hard drive?
using a stable kernel, with a new appointments program and . . . How about a whole operating system in 39 meg . . .
. . . if you feel worthy to download and experience the Best Pup ever . . .
try here for more info:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/PupInBoots
So . . . eh . . . where are the screen shots of the new Bare Bones Pup?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 1.0.3 Bugs

#2 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:8)

In fvwm and Icewm I am getting "refresh flicker" - JWM and fluxbox are fine.
This seems to happen because in the second set of menus, fvwm is turning off each menu item before displaying the next one. Hope I have explained that correctly.
...umm, no.
The situation is basically identical to 1.0.1, so flicker should be the same.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

First check user input

#3 Post by Lobster »

I think I have sourced the cause of this bug:

Me :( :shock:

I get so excited at the birth of a new Puppy, I scan through the menus faster than is legal or decent . . .

Now that I have settled down to a more leisurely pace of usage, the flicker seems to have improved . . . :oops:

Bugs is a bunny (just like "Harvey") and I am a happy Puppy once again.

[Lobster hangs head in remorse]
:roll:
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 11 Jun 2005, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you can set the delay speed for the icewm menu in /root/.icewm/preferences

# Delay before activating menu items
MenuActivateDelay=200 # [0-5000]

# Delay before activating menu submenus
SubmenuMenuActivateDelay=200 # [0-5000]

i find setting both values to something like 200 works on my machine ... don't forget to uncomment the lines

i think the 2.6 kernel does allocate resources like cpu usage and memory useage better than the 2.4 kernel (or differently, anyway)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Menu items

#5 Post by Lobster »

Thanks G2,

:)

I think that is partly what happened - all of a sudden the menus were working in a slightly different way.

For me the 2.6 kernel seems to have been better and faster - about 30% faster (the only thing I lost was the ability to record sound)

Now I can record sound again (not something I require - unless the sound files can be saved or compresssed easily for voice mail . . .). Making a choice of kernels available - either as a pupget, pup unleashed or dot-pup seems to be the way things are going.

That is great! I feel the move to the 2.6 kernel was a useful experiment that will prove beneficial in the long term.

What I wonder, do you have cooking up beyond our future "menu"?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Lobster,
perhaps your impression of speed with the 2.6 kernel was its "preemption" feature.

Personally, I couldn't see any difference.
But, I think other people thought the 2.6 kernel was faster also.

There is a patch available to add that preemptive feature to the 2.4 kernel ...perhaps could try that.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Aunty Maude becomes a Linux Babe

#7 Post by Lobster »

:)
Perception is dependent on how the kernel is optimised, unless we do speed comparisons.

My situation is this. Puppy is fast.. 30% here or there is negligible. It is far more important to get more people using Puppy safely and securely (a working Puppy is 100% faster than one that is not)

So if you are reasonably sure that it will not interfere with anyone running Puppy then it would be a good idea to try it.

There is an important relationship between fast and easy. Easy is fast in most peoples perception . . .

Spending time on the forum you might get the impression that Puppy is full of bugs - in fact it is the most stable, reliable and realistic distro (in my biased based opinion)

So my advice is Puppy is fast enough. Being faster in an easier way, in a working way will 'speed it up'.

For example there are three probes we need on initial boot up

Probe for keyboard
Probe for mouse
probe for connection

Now imagine that Puppy booted up in best guess of those options into the GUI and then went into an interactive mode (For Aunty Mode/Maude)

Now the configuration becomes part of the "shake paw" process

Something like this:

If your mouse is working click here
If not press N

Is your mouse is working NOW click here
if not press N

Mouse working - You are another successful Puppy!

Hey tell us where you are by clicking on this map (tkworld)
and we will set up the keyboard for you.

Wanna meet some Pups? - click here -
(goes to Puppy forum or some such using ethernet DHCP)

Not connecting? Maybe you are using a modem?
(goes into connection setup)

Wanna hear the Puppy speak - click here and hear -
did he woof woof?

So not only are we in Pup immediately but setting it up is learning how to use it and . . . :) Aunty Maude becomes a Linux Babe 8)

Is any of that making sense or another crazy crusty idea . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

the 2.6 kernel is supposed to allocate resources (like cpu time) better than the 2.4 kernel, and subjectively, it seems to

for example, many (maybe most) distros that run the 2.4 kernel, renice X to run at -10 ... it's a crude way to give more cpu time to the video system (at the expense of the audio system, for example) ... the 2.6 kerenel is not supposed to need this, in fact, it should work better if you do not renice X

i just downloaded a movie from archive.org ... the sound was garbled when i played it in Puppy's mplayer ... the sound is ok if i play it in Vector Linux's mplayer ... i don't know, but it is possible that it would have played properly in Puppy 1.0.2

in any case, it's when i multi task things like mplayer and ctorrent that i notice the difference ... the 2.6 kernel seems to do a better job giving each program the cpu time it needs ... i think it makes better use of ram/swap too

when i go back to Win XP, i notice it doesn't multi task as smoothly and efficiently as Linux

in Puppy, i can upload/download Puppy iso's using ctorrent, and i don't notice much if any difference in my download speed ... i can browse web pages and do not notice any speed difference even though i am uploading at my absolute maximum speed (about 85kBs) ... in XP, i have to carefully throttle uploading to no more than 64kBs, or browsing slows to a crawl

and with XP, i have to find an updated driver for my ethernet card and install it, or when i try to use the built in XP driver with bit torrent, XP crashes (BSOD) within minutes, every time