Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Chihuahua Alpha6 plus Lassie_Office
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 11 [152 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
slvrldy17

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2008, 22:00    Post subject:  

"The problem with xvidtune has been reported repeatedly on earlier versions. It comes down to Xorg ignoring the modeline xvidtune produces, for reasons I still don't understand. I can add this to the configuration file by hand, but it still doesn't have any effect.

Gxine has issues, no question. "

Prehistoric, Tronkel

Have been mucking about off and on with various flavors of Puppy for quite some time now and I have to agree that some problems are on going. Strangely enough while I was working with Gray's 3.01 based NOP Puppy the Xorg problem wasn't really all that annoying - the needed tweaks for Xorg seemed to carry over between boots - what the difference between the versions is that makes this so I don't know.

As for the problems with Gxine - if memory serves there is a version of Puppy that uses the VLC media player - one of ttuxxx's efforts I think - it might be worth a look. I've had good results using VLC as a "portable app" from a USB key on windows machines and the Linux version might be a fit substitute for Gxine. I'd be quite willing to accept a bigger ISO to get a reliable media player - within reason of course! Keep up the good work guys - and thanks for your eforts.

slvrldy17

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2008, 22:01    Post subject:  

Sorry - double post!
geneven

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2008, 22:08    Post subject: Gxine and Destinos  

Gxine works horribly for me when viewing Destinos, the free, fun video series for learning Spanish. Static shots work fine, but movement doesn' register quickly enough. It forces me to run Windows to see the series. Here't the url:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

Free registration is required to play the videos.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2008, 22:34    Post subject:  

Can someone host, test and report back on this giant Chihuahua Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=193639#193639

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 02:09    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Can someone host, test and report back on this giant Chihuahua Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=193639#193639

I would if I could but I don't speak Vietnamese !!!

ttuuxxx

HairyWill

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 02:29    Post subject:  

There is a bug in init for puppy 3.01 and the latest dingo. They don't always set PUPMODE=13 for ideflash type installs. I presume that 3.02 has the same problem. There is a fix here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=193681#193681

prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 08:29    Post subject: IDE flash installs  

@HairyWill,

I'm pretty sure I've seen this, and wondered where the Save icon went. At the time, I wasn't sure I'd done everything correctly, so I didn't report it.

Thanks for the code and link!

geneven wrote:
Gxine works horribly for me when viewing Destinos, the free, fun video series for learning Spanish. Static shots work fine, but movement doesn' register quickly enough. It forces me to run Windows to see the series.
Hi geneven,
Could you give some information on the machine and Puppy configuration you're running? Processor speed, RAM, Puppy version and type of install, (including use of swap,) are important. Also, what kind of internet connection do you have?
gerry

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 10:29    Post subject:  

A request: could you put "Booting Puppy 302 (or whatever)" immediately above "Choose a pup-save file" at boot-up, please. I sometimes forget which cd is in the drive.....and it messes up the pup-save file.

Gerry
prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 11:22    Post subject: xvidtune tweaks  

slvrldy17 wrote:
Have been mucking about off and on with various flavors of Puppy for quite some time now and I have to agree that some problems are on going. Strangely enough while I was working with Gray's 3.01 based NOP Puppy the Xorg problem wasn't really all that annoying - the needed tweaks for Xorg seemed to carry over between boots - what the difference between the versions is that makes this so I don't know.
Just tried to reproduce this on a machine where I've had to adjust the monitor because the modeline generated by xvidtune was ignored. I used NOP r6 and checked that the modeline was inserted in xorg.conf. It's there, but still gets ignored. What version of NOP are you using? Could you have adjusted the monitor and forgotten? Could this be another non-deterministic problem that only goes right once in a blue moon?

@gerry,

Not a bad idea, I've used the wrong pup_save on occasion.
jonyo

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 12:17    Post subject:  

Compaq sr2020nx (AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 2.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE) 2 gig ram, linksys wusb54g usb adapter using native rt2570 driver setup via net wiz & rutilt with wep 64 hex.

#5 -3xx series pup setup with linNwin & xpsp2.

Only problem I'm having is when I select Xorg, the mouse cursor goes away (disappears) but works in the background; xvesa solves that. Same thing happens with the other 3xx setups on this 'pute 'cept ..I think in muppy 08.2

Last edited by jonyo on Wed 30 Apr 2008, 19:42; edited 1 time in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 12:52    Post subject: Resolution ignored - try adding PreferredMode  

slvrldy17,
In Puppy 4 I added logic to create a line in the monitor section of xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768"

where the 1024x768 matches the value in the screen-section line:
Code:
Modes "1024x768"

You might try doing that manually with your resolution value, to see if it helps.
Richard
prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 14:35    Post subject: invisible cursor  

Hi rerwin,

Jonyo seems to be reporting another case of an invisible mouse cursor, like those I saw before. One was also on a Geforce 6150.

Now I'm off to try that fix you suggested to slvrldy17 on another machine of mine.

@Jonyo,

If this is what I think, there is a simple fix that will allow you to run Xorg. Edit the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 to uncomment this line in the "Device" section.
Code:
   #Option     "SWcursor"              # [<bool>]

Changing it to:
Code:
   Option     "SWcursor"              "True"

@tronkel,

I'm testing Muppy 008.3 at the moment, and have found a greatly improved setup of the synaptics touchpad on my laptop in the xorg.conf it configured. This is one thing to grab, and I'm sure there are others. MU has also trashed fixPuppyPin.sh used with HotPup because of trouble with changing screen resolution. On this laptop, HotPup seems to be working. On that 500 MHz Celeron, the HotPup drive icons ended up in the upper left corner, for reasons not apparent. Muppy does not have the black/frozen screen on exit problem, as far as I've seen.
tronkel

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 16:17    Post subject:  

@prehistoric

Any idea which version of Puppy Muppy 008 is based on? I haven't had the time to follow Muppy's development recently.

I did notice that MU had altered the window manager shutdown script to remove exec from the last line there. The relevant files are /usr/X11R6/wmreboot and /usr/X11R6/wmpoweroff This is what may actually be the solution to your xorg shutdown problems. Maybe you could try that and see if that works for you.

Other than that, I think I would need the appropriate Xorg basic package from Muppy 008 as used in the Muppy Unleashed as the replacement for that as currently used in Chihuahua.

I also get the impression that Muppy is running well from what I've heard. Stuff in there could well help to solve some Chihuahua issues.

tronkel

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 17:07    Post subject:  

@prehistoric

Just tried removing exec from the files as mentioned in the above post.

I can't replicate your shutdown problem here, but the result seemed promising. I'm getting less shutdown text showing in the black screen and then goes straight to reboot. Seems like a cleaner shutdown and no harm done. Rebooting from a pristine live CD startup showed the correct save to file options as well. So worth a try.

Next thing is to see if a retro version cures the process contentions problem.

Then will have to download Muppy and retrieve the fixPuppyPin script for HotPup

@ MU

Wenn Du diese Nachricht siehst, kannst Du bitte das Xorg base package von der letzten Muppy-Version irgendwo aufladen?

Danke im Voraus

Tronkel

jonyo

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr 2008, 19:36    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
Any idea which version of Puppy Muppy 008 is based on?
3xx
Page 4 of 11 [152 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: