GIZMO-PROJECT and its Dependencies

News, happenings
charnisingh

GIZMO-PROJECT and its Dependencies

#1 Post by charnisingh »

hello all,

GConf2 and Orbit-2 required by Gizmo- project have been uploaded in the forum,see puppy 396 upgraded to puppy 4. Gizmo-Project is bigger file but will have to be uploaded soon, i will have to contact others for that . i have made many sfs files as well as pets will need uploading too.

UPDATE: Every file has been uploaded NOW, PLEASE LOOK .at:

Main Link: http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/index. ... h-Dingo%2F

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Hi Charni,

Thanks to your kind efforts and those of William (mcewanw) I was able to chat with Will (hairywill) and Eric (Caneri)

We need more testers . . .
I could not get the sfs to work
but the full and cut down .pets (make sure you install the two recommended .pets as well as gizmoproject.pet)

both work with Dingo (Puppy 4)
Will was able to record conversations but when I recorded using the
cut down gizmo we got a cut out . . .
Will lives on an international flight path and had to duck several times
but the conversation went OK - quality was good

Jack Tronkel will be trying out Gizmo - have been conversing with Skype so far . . .

Had some voice messages from Eric (caneri) and he has to beam his signal 5 miles to the nearest wifi point. Despite some robotic noises and some cut and nearly burning his scallops, we were able to converse - London to Canada - that's cool . . .

More testing - install the software - join the Puppy VOIPers
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Caneri

#3 Post by Caneri »

Hi Lobster et al,

Nearly burning my scallops eh....well I've never had scalloped potato chips but will test them tonight to see how they taste. I usually have salt and vinegar chips (crisps for the Brits).

This is great fun...and doing any technical stuff will flow much smoother with voice.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

Caneri wrote:Hi Lobster et al,

Nearly burning my scallops eh....well I've never had scalloped potato chips but will test them tonight to see how they taste. I usually have salt and vinegar chips (crisps for the Brits).

This is great fun...and doing any technical stuff will flow much smoother with voice.

Eric
You call yourself a Canadian and never had scalloped potato's ?? How about French Canadian pea-soup ? LOL
Man thats was one of my staples my mother used make all the time, mmmm
sliced potatoes,layered with cheese and Canadian bacon, with onions and mushroom soup. Baked in the oven and would really warm up the house on those cold winter nights, I still make it here in Australia, just that the bacon and potatoes aren't as good, no Yukon gold or PEI red spuds here!!

And the Pea-soup in the can is crap. So I have to make my own spit pea soup, I make it about once a month, for that I
boil 1 bag of split peas in about 2.5L of water
With a diced large onion and carrot, add a large ham hock,
add some imported Canadian maple syrup,
2 teaspoons of English mustard that I first mix with boiling water to dilute the mustard.
Finally I add some diced bacon.
Bring it to a boil then let it simmer for around 1.5hrs, stir every 15mins or so. MMMMMMM great on those cold days.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Caneri

#5 Post by Caneri »

Hi ttuuxxx,

You need to reread my post.....I started making scallops but got a jawin' with Lobster with my headset on....thus I didn't hear the timer go off to tell me the scallop potatoes were finished cooking.

My reference is to now having scalloped potato chips (crisps for the Brits) as they are a tad overcooked..lol...and yes..pea soup. I have a ham bone in the fridge as we speak that will be in a homemade pea soup in a few days (I just cooking a smoked ham)...yum and easy peasy..but as with all real food it just takes time.

Sorry for highjcaking the thread but when it comes to good food I can't help it.

Hey ttuuxx get your Gizmo working.

EDIT: I use a pressure cooker and use whole peas(yellow)..takes 30 minutes to soften..then the long slow simmer for 2 hours or as long as you like..all day is good too...and when the heck was there a cold day in OZ..hmm

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

maple syrup in pea soup - that must be good
I like to put cream and maple syrup on vanilla ice cream
Now that is indulgent (came from a galfriend of course)

Mind you I like chilli ice cream - its hot and chilli - real cool
Not yet in shops - finally had to follow my own recipe
- basically just shredded some sweet chilli into plain ice cream and whipped in . . .

- normal posting is now resumed after this recipe interlude :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

charnisingh

gizmo sfs test ok by smokey01

#7 Post by charnisingh »

Hi Lobster,

smokey01 tested gizmo sfs and posted "it worked like a charm" see your main thread. i am sure it works, you may try again.

regards,
Charni.

mcewanw

#8 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote: Will was able to record conversations but when I recorded using the
cut down gizmo we got a cut out . . .
I think it is accidentally misleading to users calling my smaller dotpets of gizmo, the "cut down" gizmo. That could imply that somehow less program is being provided when in fact the binaries are absolutely identical in user functionality. It is primarily only cut-down in the sense that charni's dotpet contained two exact copies of the same "sounds" directory which ate up a few MBytes of space (one of these sounds directories would simply be sitting there and not getting used ever; and all it contains is wav files, not program code).

I thus seriously doubt that your being cut out Lobster, whilst recording, had anything to do with which dotpet you used; probably just a rare and random glitch. Further testing should confirm that I expect.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

calling my smaller dotpets of gizmo, the "cut down" gizmo.
Sorry :oops:
I should refer to it as streamlined and improved . . .
Am using it now and it saves the login and password
which the previous version did not . . .

We have another version in the wings . . .
Tronkel has downloaded from Gizmo direct and is trying to get that version working. I was trying to help - text messaging was getting through but not sound. Two extra libraries installed. Hw was using Dingo 4.0.2 Alpha . . .

Any ideas why not working welcome
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

#10 Post by mcewanw »

Lobster wrote: We have another version in the wings . . .
Tronkel has downloaded from Gizmo direct and is trying to get that version working. I was trying to help - text messaging was getting through but not sound.
I couldn't say off the top of my head. The dotpet I made was also from the code downloaded from Gizmo direct (but there is no other way, since source code is not available anyway). The best Tronkel can do is to end up with the same dotpet (!) unless he also cuts out some text files and some sound files and so on, which could make the dotpet even smaller. He could also add in the files from Gconf and orbit. I resisted doing that in case anyone wanted to update Gconf and orbit separately sometime.

No offence taken regarding the cutdown version! I was just worried the comment might put off some potential users who were working on systems with less storage space in which the smaller dotpet size would be particularly beneficial to them.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

I have put all the info here . . .
I feel Charnis SFS version is the simplest and latest
and should work fine (it did not work for me) and I am using the cut-down - oops - streamlined version :)
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka= ... xxineGizmo

Thanks guys :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

which extra libraries?

#12 Post by mcewanw »

The only thing I didn't understand about Tronkel's version, was what you meant by "two extra libraries installed"?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

GConf
and the orbit2
dotpets which Tronkel added . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mcewanw

all combined dotpet for anyone who wants that

#14 Post by mcewanw »

Okay, it was easy for me just to add Gconf and orbit into my dotpets (took a couple of minutes...).

I'll leave the existing ones where they are but add a subdirectory containing these new versions which contain Gconf and orbit. Save Tronkel the trouble of bug fixing yet another version!

I'm about to upload them. It will take a while, because I only have dialup, but they will get there...

By the way, my own testing of gizmo has all been done using dialup, and it seems to work fine like that for me (probably not so good as with broadband of course).

William

mcewanw

on route to puppylinux.ca

#15 Post by mcewanw »

The new gizmos with orbit and Gconf combined are now well on the way to:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/foksyfeyer ... bit-gconf/

Be patient though.
I will post a message as soon as each of the two uploads (stdlibc++5 and ++6 versions) are completed.

mcewanw

slow connection

#16 Post by mcewanw »

The stdlibc++6 one is half way there now. The connection speed is slower than even normal for some reason... tra la la la la. It will be there in 25 minutes time though... :-)

I believe I could cut the dotpet size down even further by around 1.5 MBytes by removing what seems like junk, and by cutting down on the number of music clips available for when the phone is on "hold". But, that kind of clipping is best left to a later date once the app itself is better tested I feel.

mcewanw

combined gizmo with orbit and gconf now available

#17 Post by mcewanw »

I was busy reading a good book so don't know when it actually finished uploading, but the stdlibc++6 gizmo including Gconf and orbit is now uploaded and available for testing from:

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/foksyfeyer ... bit-gconf/

So feel free to download it (an md5sum is provided there too). The libstdc++6 is the main one for Puppy 4.00 and also for Puppy 2.17.1

Back to my book now. The stdlibc++5 version, for some other Puppies should be slowly making its way up to puppylinux.ca even as I get back to the reading.

P.S. I'll upload a quick readme file later, but of course there is nothing much to explain except that the user should uninstall any existing gizmo (and orbit and Gconf) before installing this combined one with petget. And no need now to also install Gconf and orbit dotpets since these libraries are in this new gizmo dotpet, as desired by some.

Done. Both new gizmo dotpets now uploaded.