xload is NOT a CPU usage meter

Using applications, configuring, problems
disciple

#31 Post by disciple »

proximityinfotech1 wrote:Now the question is, is there a similar app that DOES graph CPU usage, and can be used in JWM?
There is gatotray, a proper trayapp http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#493173
Or there is what Hairywill described above, which I seemed to miss at the time.
Last edited by disciple on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

a monitor for running processes is actually a lot more useful as a diagnostic tool than a CPU meter.
Exactly so. 8)
Sometimes the meter is maxed out, a solid block . . .
This means both of my dual cores are occupied.
I should know why . . . I might be watching a video and doing some other task simultaneously . . .

Yesterday the meter was as streaky as bacon
(white lines)
Which indicated that several threads were running
Why? Been doing some pretend programming . . .
:roll:
By running Htop (Menu / System / System Status and Config in Puppy 5.3 or command line 'top') I could work out what they were . . . :idea:
'Restart X' cleared these still running threads . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

Lobster - I presume you are talking about a CPU usage meter in your first paragraph, and xload in your second paragraph...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

banger0250

#34 Post by banger0250 »

WOW, i have never checked this thread out, WOW. Wasn't expecting it to be so long. I always setup conky, Didn't know what that thing in the tray was. :)
Taking pup for a walk

technosaurus

#35 Post by technosaurus »

banger0250 wrote:WOW, i have never checked this thread out, WOW. Wasn't expecting it to be so long. I always setup conky, Didn't know what that thing in the tray was. :)
same here, but I know how to fix it... /proc has a file that does show the 1,5 and 15 minute load average (I'm in my Droid, so can't check). Just use it to generate the image (there is an equivalent c function too) I wrote a script that will generate an xpm image with text and a percent bar which could be used by pnmmon or other generalized tray apps.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

disciple

#36 Post by disciple »

Yes, we discussed some solutions like that earlier in the thread, and also a ready-made tray-app (gatotray). But that isn't "fixing" anything :). Xload is very useful as it is, and the point in this thread is so that people understand it.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#37 Post by Lobster »

Xload is very useful as it is
Agreed.

A tooltip should be easy to implement?
Recently in using Openshot (still flakey in 1.4 but improving) the white threads grow in number telling me when it is likely to break and need a reboot. Just using restart of x I still found remaining threads running.
Invaluable. 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

greengeek

#38 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote: I wrote a script that will generate an xpm image with text and a percent bar which could be used by pnmmon or other generalized tray apps.
I seem to recall seeing a couple of threads where you mentioned something like a special monitoring mechanism you wrote for a variety of activities (not just cpu activity) but can't put my finger on it at the moment. Did I understand it correctly that your method allows a variety of different 'things' to be monitored and reflected in the tray?

technosaurus

#39 Post by technosaurus »

greengeek wrote:
technosaurus wrote: I wrote a script that will generate an xpm image with text and a percent bar which could be used by pnmmon or other generalized tray apps.
I seem to recall seeing a couple of threads where you mentioned something like a special monitoring mechanism you wrote for a variety of activities (not just cpu activity) but can't put my finger on it at the moment. Did I understand it correctly that your method allows a variety of different 'things' to be monitored and reflected in the tray?
Simple Icon Tray:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76431

It simply monitors the images and tooltips files for changes and updates them as needed. Any number of separate process(es) can be used to generate/update the images and tooltip text. The left click and right click commands are static (not monitored), but you can make them symlinks that point to whatever executable you want to run at the time.

Though rather than using my xpm generator; I'd recommend svg for adding text now that jwm can do svg... you can even include a png image inside of an svg with shapes and/or text over it .
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

disciple

#40 Post by disciple »

now that jwm can do svg
Hang on - does SIT use JWM?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

technosaurus

#41 Post by technosaurus »

No, its wm independent, but some people were avoiding using svg before because jwm did not support it.

In fact, now it would be super simple to make svg icons match a gtk/jwm theme.

jakobcornelis

#42 Post by jakobcornelis »

Xload has recently been demonstrating its usefulness to me quite clearly. I have on several occasions been caught with a multi-crossbar xload display. I haven’t a clue what caused this.

Except for the latest case of overload. I installed Skype from a .pet file. The initiating panel appears. So far so good. I type in my username and password. Nothing happens, except that xload goes nuts. It works up to one crossbar, and after a while my computer comes to a convincing halt. The only way out is doing an illegal log-off. Then I can start all over again. Same thing happens.

I understand from this thread that either there are too many programs trying to use the cpu at once, or one program goes haywire. OK. That’s nice to know. But how to analyze this malfunction? That’s, in my view, the next question about xload’s usefulness.

I am one of those semi-idiots that have only the barest notion of how Puppy works. I read somewhere that Barrie K’s ultimate goal was to turn Puppy into, essentially, a turn-key proposition. That would have been fine by me. I am not too interested in fiddling with it. I just want to run programs - nothing fancy either. I only have been able to manage, by the way, by getting a lot of help from this forum. I am getting better all the time at doing what I am told to do - as long as it is not too complicated and replete with jargon.

So, at least I know now that something is going wrong when Skype wants to talk to its master on the net by presenting my name and number. Wary 5.3 protests, without giving me a clue of what to do. (There are two problems, really: Skype won’t work, and Puppy won’t work, (under certain circumstances.)

The following may or may not have something to do with it: My personal storage is almost full (which is another, recurring, issue I don’t quite know how to deal with, and could be something for another thread).

Anybody?

Jake
Wary Puppy 5.3, frugal
HP Compaq
DC7100 SFF
CPU: P4 3.0GHz
HDD: 80GB-SATA
RAM: 1024MB

bigpup

#43 Post by bigpup »

You need to start a topic on your problems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

disciple

#44 Post by disciple »

That post was 4 yrs old ;)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bigpup

#45 Post by bigpup »

I know, but it made you read this topic.
It also made a point about going off topic.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jakobcornelis

#46 Post by jakobcornelis »

Thanks, bigpup, for that response. Did it take you four years to figure out that brilliant suggestion about starting a thread about my problems? Or was this somewhat like a bottle with a message in it finally washing ashore - your shore? Just kidding. Reading over that lament of mine I couldn´t agree more. But to do that now, after all that time, well, with all ,the additional problems having overwhelmed me since, why, I wouldn´t wish that on this forum. Meanwhile, Skype seems now to have outlived its usefulness, and the meaning of xload still largely escapes me except to remind me from time to time to hold my horses at the keyboard (it went practically white the other day). So, thanks for the admonition, and have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Jake,
HP Compaq
DC7100,
CPU: P4 3.0 GHz,
HDD: 80 Gb - SATA,
RAM: 1024 Mb,

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

There's one called, I believe, "CPU monitor" in, I think, Fatdog64-810. I'd love to say more, but I'm not sure which Puppy I'm currently running and I can't remember where to look to tell. I'm pretty sure it's Fatdog64-810 though, because there's a session saved on that DVD.